News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 110,397 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #570 on: April 03, 2009, 03:33:02 PM »
DPD, but it sounds like they fixed a LOT of the issues.  From IAN's link:

QuoteA noticeable reduction in amount of fly balls missed by outfielders (both the target and slowing down before a fly ball is caught have been fixed).
Tuned overall slider values to get a better stand alone game, based on community suggestions
Turned down Home Runs, should see dramatic improvement in amount of home runs hit during game play.
AI aggressiveness tweaked – AI will take more balls
Throwing in the "Red" was way harder than the best "Green" spot so maximum strength lowered in the red
In-game crash resolved when not opening the Pitch Overlay hud and then bringing in another pitcher. Will resolve late inning crashes.
Added variety so that all fielders arm strength isn't so similar. Now the better arm strength fielders will make a difference.
Fixed the bug that was causing the catcher to disappear when switched with a DH.
There was another bug fixed when substituting the catcher and the DH that would cause the umpire to throw the ball backwards.
Added more variety in pitching by making the gesture be a little harder to nail down "perfectly"
Fixed a bug where the base runner would JOG home (Sacrifice fly and ground balls)
Tweaked the issue where the 1st baseman's foot would come off the bag too easily resulting in a lot of infield hits that should have been routine outs.
Pitchers will now walk off the mound after the 3rd strikeout in an inning.
Tuned numbers to fix the fact that pickoffs were too easy, especially at second base.
Increased the delivery speed of the animations from the stretch to improve throwing out the AI when they attempted to steal.
Pitcher rotation bug fixed where users in leagues would have their first bench player put in as their starting pitcher. They could adjust the starting pitcher but never get their bench player back to their line up. This would eventually lead to a crash.
The user was unable to send a trade when having nine pitchers or eleven hitters on their roster in a fantasy draft league online. That has been resolved
Online - Menu - The Winning/Losing Streak will now populate correctly when viewing the Card Battle Leader boards.
League settings changes now will take affect immediately.
Audio settings get reset when going online.

There are a lot of other things, including some franchise stuff, but they are more minor and countless. I am sure you'll come across them, but these are the major updates.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #571 on: April 03, 2009, 03:41:52 PM »
We'll have to see, but at first glance through the 2K Forums it doesn't seem as though my beloved editing of the batting stances and such will be enabled.  That just blows.  But, at least the game will play better.  Hopefully.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #572 on: April 03, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 03, 2009, 03:41:52 PM
We'll have to see, but at first glance through the 2K Forums it doesn't seem as though my beloved editing of the batting stances and such will be enabled.  That just blows.  But, at least the game will play better.  Hopefully.

Yeah, I bet if they added that, it would have been one of the "major updates" they would have listed.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #573 on: April 04, 2009, 08:12:09 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on April 03, 2009, 04:25:42 PM

Yeah, I bet if they added that, it would have been one of the "major updates" they would have listed.

I have a hard time understanding why something so prevalent in all the previous iterations of the game is all of a sudden left out.  They claim to have over 300 new animations, but most of the hitters still get to the plate with that terrible upright stance or or the generic "medium" stance.  Anyway, I'll get to play a little tomorrow, so we'll see how it plays out.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #574 on: April 04, 2009, 12:01:10 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 04, 2009, 08:12:09 AM

I have a hard time understanding why something so prevalent in all the previous iterations of the game is all of a sudden left out.  They claim to have over 300 new animations, but most of the hitters still get to the plate with that terrible upright stance or or the generic "medium" stance.  Anyway, I'll get to play a little tomorrow, so we'll see how it plays out.

I played a couple games this morning.  The most noticeable thing to me is that it's WAY harder to hit your spots when pitching.  I can't throw a splitter to save my life.  With Harden, I plunked two Cardinals (unintentionally) and walked a third.  Plus, I wasn't able to pinpoint my pitches, even in the strike zone.  Very encouraging.  Also, the batters no long "snap" into their stances when they come to the plate.  It looks much more realistic.  Fielding is subtly improved, and I'm definitely seeing a LOT more called strikes on the CPU hitters.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #575 on: April 04, 2009, 12:09:53 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on April 04, 2009, 12:01:10 PM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 04, 2009, 08:12:09 AM

I played a couple games this morning.  The most noticeable thing to me is that it's WAY harder to hit your spots when pitching.  I can't throw a splitter to save my life.  With Harden, I plunked two Cardinals (unintentionally) and walked a third.  Plus, I wasn't able to pinpoint my pitches, even in the strike zone.  Very encouraging.  Also, the batters no long "snap" into their stances when they come to the plate.  It looks much more realistic.  Fielding is subtly improved, and I'm definitely seeing a LOT more called strikes on the CPU hitters.

Are those pitches harder to locate with the default pitching, or the Release Timing?

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #576 on: April 04, 2009, 02:16:45 PM »
I just started playing and two outs into my opening inning (I'm batting) I see noticeable differences.  The batting stance "snaps" Kerm mentioned are gone, and as the Rangers turned a double play on Aviles, Kinsler didn't face home as he flipped to first.  The opposing pitcher doesn't walk around aimlessly after a throw over to first as well.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #577 on: April 05, 2009, 08:41:41 PM »
DPD, but why is it impossible to hit my spots now?  I'm also having problems with my outfielders hiccuping in the outfield on grounders.  Also, there's this weird moonwalk glitch that some of the players and coaches do when entering/leaving the dugouts now.  2K sucks fucking royal frog anus.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #578 on: April 05, 2009, 08:50:49 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 05, 2009, 08:41:41 PM
DPD, but why is it impossible to hit my spots now?  I'm also having problems with my outfielders hiccuping in the outfield on grounders.  Also, there's this weird moonwalk glitch that some of the players and coaches do when entering/leaving the dugouts now.  2K sucks fucking royal frog anus.

I need to sell this game and get a PS3.  Just reading about it is making me too ANGRY to even try playing it again.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #579 on: April 05, 2009, 09:02:04 PM »
I don't know, Weebs.  It just feels like it got WORSE.  But, as Kerm said, that could be a good thing.  Who wants to play a game that's too easy?  Maybe it'll come around.  I've only played one and a half games post patch.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #580 on: April 06, 2009, 11:40:54 AM »
I'm of the exact opposite opinion.  I think it's terrific post-patch.  I've had the CPU take third strikes.  I can't hit my spots to save my life with Zambrano.  For the first time since High Heat, I unintentionally walked a batter.  I also beaned two guys in one inning.  My biggest complaint with every baseball game other than High Heat is that eventually it just gets too damn easy to master pitching.  There is NO WAY I'm ever going to be able to pinpoint my spots in this game, and I think that's terrific.  I lost the first 2 games of my new franchise against Houston.  The first one, I lost 5-1 (I think).  Michael Bourne went yard in the first, and it was downhill from there.  I was leading the second game 5-3 late, and then Kevin Gregg happened.  He gave up 4 in the 8th (one of THOSE fucking innings), and I lost 7-5.  Both games were fair, though.  I couldn't execute pitches with Gregg because the timing was different from Harden's, and before I knew it, I was done.  Bourne homered again in Game 2, by the way.

SNEAK ATTACK!

Seriously, though, the hit totals were realistic.  I think there were only 3-4 homers in 2 games.  I didn't see any stupid fielding glitches.  Both games felt like baseball, which is the first time I can say that about a 2K game in a long time.

By the way, I'm playing on default All-Star sliders with zone hitting and release timing turned OFF.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #581 on: April 06, 2009, 11:54:06 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on April 06, 2009, 11:40:54 AM
I'm of the exact opposite opinion.  I think it's terrific post-patch.  I've had the CPU take third strikes.  I can't hit my spots to save my life with Zambrano.  For the first time since High Heat, I unintentionally walked a batter.  I also beaned two guys in one inning.  My biggest complaint with every baseball game other than High Heat is that eventually it just gets too damn easy to master pitching.  There is NO WAY I'm ever going to be able to pinpoint my spots in this game, and I think that's terrific.  I lost the first 2 games of my new franchise against Houston.  The first one, I lost 5-1 (I think).  Michael Bourne went yard in the first, and it was downhill from there.  I was leading the second game 5-3 late, and then Kevin Gregg happened.  He gave up 4 in the 8th (one of THOSE fucking innings), and I lost 7-5.  Both games were fair, though.  I couldn't execute pitches with Gregg because the timing was different from Harden's, and before I knew it, I was done.  Bourne homered again in Game 2, by the way.

SNEAK ATTACK!

Seriously, though, the hit totals were realistic.  I think there were only 3-4 homers in 2 games.  I didn't see any stupid fielding glitches.  Both games felt like baseball, which is the first time I can say that about a 2K game in a long time.

By the way, I'm playing on default All-Star sliders with zone hitting and release timing turned OFF.

Since I've only played about two games, I'll retract my Fro Dog reaction to the game and just give it time.  I wasn't imagining things, I don't think, about the outfielders hiccuping in the outfield on grounders.  That really did happen in the game I lost last night, accounting for at least three bullshit runs in one of "those innings."  As far as the locating of pitches post-patch I don't mind saying that even though I spiked my controller after losing two straight games because of bad location, it could also be that my bullpen played a part as there's a noticeable dropoff in talent from closer and setup (Wood and Brian Wilson) to middle relief (Brian Tallet, Billy Sadler, Greg Smith, Scott Proctor).  The fact that it now takes more than mindless button mashing is a good thing.  I'll certainly concede to that.

For Gord's sake, how do you get Grady Sizemore out?  He's probably hitting .800 against me.  I'm not even exaggerating.

It's not all puppies and rainbows, though, as there's still the batting stance/pitch type editing that was left out as well as the inexcusable alternate jersey/grey pants anomoly that's plagued the game for a while now.  Why can't they get that right?  If my team is on the road and I choose for them to wear alternate tops, why does the game give them white pants?  This is highly ghey and nitpicky, but it's just fundamental.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #582 on: April 06, 2009, 11:59:11 AM »
Your comment about Sizemore reminds me.  Fontenot is the BALLS in this game.  I moved him up to the two-hole, and he had hits in his first seven at-bats.  I think he's 7-8 right now.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #583 on: April 06, 2009, 01:05:31 PM »
I sent Ron, the dev from 2K, an email regarding how I was hoping they could patch the editing of stances/pitch types and the whole jersey/grey pants fiasco.  His response:

Hi Adam,

Unfortunately, as I said in other threads, it’s a new feature and can’t be patched. I will let the MLB Insider know about the pants/jerseys. But the batting stances/pitch types was not put in the game. It was not so much removed (as there was no code they were removing it from when the game went from Kush’s hands to VC) as it was not put in. I am sure they will get this next year.

Ronnie

To most, this is probably as cool as a bag of used dildoes, but it shows that they're trying.  His response sounded legit.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #584 on: April 06, 2009, 05:18:39 PM »
I was just playing a game of this, and the patch certainly seems to help a little, but I still can't stand playing the game.  My main problem I have is that fielding seems to be completely out of my control.  As long as you're pointed in the right direction, the game takes over and does almost all the work for you, especially with infield defense.  I miss actually being in control of plays like in MVP.  Luckily, I found an incredible deal on a PS3, so I'll be picking one up soon, buying The Show, and then I'll never have to deal with 2K again.