News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Iron Man  ( 19,519 )

DwightKurtz

• Fukakke Fan Club
Iron Man
« on: May 03, 2008, 02:54:34 PM »
Nobody's seen Iron Man but me?

Really enjoyed this movie.  A good action romp that neither surprises nor disappoints.  RDJ is the perfect Tony Stark, even with the somewhat silly goatee.  A must-watch - and don't forget to stay through the credits if you have a single comic-book-geek bone in your body.
"I will say that Kurt's pride in/self-awarenss of his geekhood is quite admirable." - Penfoe
So long, and thanks for all the fish

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
Re: Iron Man
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 02:58:09 PM »
Quote from: KurtEvans on May 03, 2008, 02:54:34 PM

Really enjoyed this movie.  A good action romp that neither surprises nor disappoints.  RDJ is the perfect Tony Stark, even with the somewhat silly goatee.  A must-watch - and don't forget to stay through the credits if you have a single comic-book-geek bone in your body.

I'm not a comic book geek, but for those of you who are, today is free comic book day.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 03:01:49 PM »

I saw it last night, and completely agree.  It didn't do anything revolutionary, but almost everything it did do was done well.  The suit was badass, and Robert Downey, Jr. was the perfect casting.  He is the shit.

And I wanted to stay for after the credits, but all my friends decided to leave.  I heard something about what/who shows up afterwards, but I'm not 100% sure.  And even if I saw it, I really don't know the Iron Man story enough to find it as interesting as most.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 12:10:06 PM »
Believe it or not, this film has my full support and I plan to drop 20 bucks on a theater sitting at some point in the near future.

In college I had this poster on my wall among many other hip hop and sports joints. I used to look at it and chief for hours. Thumbs up.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 11:25:07 AM »
The post credit footage is here.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 01:47:39 PM »
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 03:05:48 PM »

All my comic-book geek buddies are JO only.  No ghey stuff.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 03:17:52 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 03, 2008, 03:01:49 PM

I saw it last night, and completely agree.  It didn't do anything revolutionary, but almost everything it did do was done well.  The suit was badass, and Robert Downey, Jr. was the perfect casting.  He is the shit.

And I wanted to stay for after the credits, but all my friends decided to leave.  I heard something about what/who shows up afterwards, but I'm not 100% sure.  And even if I saw it, I really don't know the Iron Man story enough to find it as interesting as most.

You should be getting hammed up and banging sluts instead of going to a movie on a Friday night when you're in college, let alone sticking around for credits to a comic book movie.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeC

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 03:42:14 PM »
It was a very good movie.

I wish they had more of Iron Man on the ground in Afghanistan whooping ass.

Bring on War Machine!
Hail Neifi, full of hacks, thy glove is with thee

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 03:49:56 PM »
This was a fantastic movie (but Iron Man is one of my favorite characters).  Nice pacing and RDJ was spot on.

It seems they have found the proper tone with the new superhero movies.  I hope the Hulk movie delivers on it as well.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 04:16:34 PM »
Quote from: TDubbs on May 05, 2008, 03:17:52 PM
Quote from: Weebs on May 03, 2008, 03:01:49 PM

You should be getting hammed up and banging sluts instead of going to a movie on a Friday night when you're in college, let alone sticking around for credits to a comic book movie.

Way to try and destroy a young mind, TDubbs.  That's very big of you.

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 05:12:02 PM »
Quote from: MikeC on May 05, 2008, 03:42:14 PM

Bring on War Machine!

Are these rumors I hear of Iron Man's Scottish heritage just a liberal media lie?
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 08:27:48 AM »
Quote from: Thrillho on May 05, 2008, 05:12:02 PM
Quote from: MikeC on May 05, 2008, 03:42:14 PM

Bring on War Machine!

Are these rumors I hear of Iron Man's Scottish heritage just a liberal media lie?

You're thinking of Iron Kilt, Boss Brim's henchman.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.

bocaj

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 11:11:24 PM »
Am I seriously the only one who saw how much this movie sucked? Just in short: mindless, predictable plot (knew who was the "baddy" within the first 15 minutes); pathetically stupid one-liners and unrealistic/childish gimmicks; no plot whatsoever: Stark's "change" wasn't believable at all, and not even substantiated; the action was lame and poorly crescendo (i.e., I seriously thought, during the final battle, that there was still going to be another "huge" fight... I was wrong); and, lastly, it was just horrible unrealistic, in general: Stark should have died at least 20 times (even with it being in within a comic book world, it tried to be all serious, yet here a guy is diving into a dune at 200 mph in a giant metal suit, walking away with scratches). All the faults built on each other, and the movie became unwatchable--the whole sum greater then parts bullshit. Was everyone just dazed by his shinny metal suits, and forgot that there was other stuff going on?
How can we win, when fools can be kings? Don't waste your time or time will waste you...

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 11:22:09 PM »
Quote from: bocaj on May 08, 2008, 11:11:24 PM
Am I seriously the only one who saw how much this movie sucked? Just in short: mindless, predictable plot (knew who was the "baddy" within the first 15 minutes); pathetically stupid one-liners and unrealistic/childish gimmicks; no plot whatsoever: Stark's "change" wasn't believable at all, and not even substantiated; the action was lame and poorly crescendo (i.e., I seriously thought, during the final battle, that there was still going to be another "huge" fight... I was wrong); and, lastly, it was just horrible unrealistic, in general: Stark should have died at least 20 times (even with it being in within a comic book world, it tried to be all serious, yet here a guy is diving into a dune at 200 mph in a giant metal suit, walking away with scratches). All the faults built on each other, and the movie became unwatchable--the whole sum greater then parts bullshit. Was everyone just dazed by his shinny metal suits, and forgot that there was other stuff going on?

I don't think this movie ever tried to take itself THAT seriously.  Especially not in the sense that  Batman Begins did, trying to ground its hero within a very believable world.  Even with how much of a genius Tony Stark is, I doubt anybody can build a reactor or whatever the hell his little electro-magnet thing was inside a cave in the middle east using some missile casings and iron.  The technology used throughout the movie was obviously fictional, and I think there was very little to suggest this was a real world, outside of the characters.  And that's what comics are generally supposed to do.  They reflect some part of our culture or of human nature with realistic characters in unrealistic settings.  I think Batman Begins was the rare exception to the superhero movie formula.  Sure, there's plenty of times Stark should have been dead: when he first tried to fly and slammed into the wall at 100+ mph, when he crashed in the desert, etc.  Hell, even his armor was apparently indestructible, but once he lost his mask, what's-his-face was able to crush it with almost no effort.  I think this movie is one of the perfect examples of the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  I don't think it would have been anywhere near as good as it was though without Robert Downey, Jr.  He made Stark a believable character in the obviously fictional world.