News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Iron Man  ( 19,516 )

bocaj

• Pollyellon Fan Club
Re: Iron Man
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 11:43:27 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 08, 2008, 11:22:09 PM
Quote from: bocaj on May 08, 2008, 11:11:24 PM
Am I seriously the only one who saw how much this movie sucked? Just in short: mindless, predictable plot (knew who was the "baddy" within the first 15 minutes); pathetically stupid one-liners and unrealistic/childish gimmicks; no plot whatsoever: Stark's "change" wasn't believable at all, and not even substantiated; the action was lame and poorly crescendo (i.e., I seriously thought, during the final battle, that there was still going to be another "huge" fight... I was wrong); and, lastly, it was just horrible unrealistic, in general: Stark should have died at least 20 times (even with it being in within a comic book world, it tried to be all serious, yet here a guy is diving into a dune at 200 mph in a giant metal suit, walking away with scratches). All the faults built on each other, and the movie became unwatchable--the whole sum greater then parts bullshit. Was everyone just dazed by his shinny metal suits, and forgot that there was other stuff going on?

I don't think this movie ever tried to take itself THAT seriously.  Especially not in the sense that  Batman Begins did, trying to ground its hero within a very believable world.  Even with how much of a genius Tony Stark is, I doubt anybody can build a reactor or whatever the hell his little electro-magnet thing was inside a cave in the middle east using some missile casings and iron.  The technology used throughout the movie was obviously fictional, and I think there was very little to suggest this was a real world, outside of the characters.  And that's what comics are generally supposed to do.  They reflect some part of our culture or of human nature with realistic characters in unrealistic settings.  I think Batman Begins was the rare exception to the superhero movie formula.  Sure, there's plenty of times Stark should have been dead: when he first tried to fly and slammed into the wall at 100+ mph, when he crashed in the desert, etc.  Hell, even his armor was apparently indestructible, but once he lost his mask, what's-his-face was able to crush it with almost no effort.  I think this movie is one of the perfect examples of the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  I don't think it would have been anywhere near as good as it was though without Robert Downey, Jr.  He made Stark a believable character in the obviously fictional world.

Ya, I agree that it's not supposed to be entirely realistic, but if that stance would have been taken then I think I would have liked it better. To me, it just seemed like Favreau kept throwing in recycled material from Elf in the movie. It seriously tried way too hard to be funny... but it wasn't, at all. Robert did an good job acting the part, but the script didn't flesh out the character one bit, and THAT is what comic books are about: us flawed humans in supernatural or extraordinary situations. The character was way too static, the plot was ridiculously predictable (probably more so than any movie I've ever seen), and the many jokes flopped more often than not (to me, the crowd seemed to eat them up....). This all adds up to a lot of eye-rolling and faux-clapping (since when do people need to clap like douchebags in approval for a particular joke, at the theater? Isn't just the forced laughter enough?) by me.
How can we win, when fools can be kings? Don't waste your time or time will waste you...

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 12:15:07 AM »
Quote from: bocaj on May 08, 2008, 11:43:27 PM
Quote from: Weebs on May 08, 2008, 11:22:09 PM
Quote from: bocaj on May 08, 2008, 11:11:24 PM
Am I seriously the only one who saw how much this movie sucked? Just in short: mindless, predictable plot (knew who was the "baddy" within the first 15 minutes); pathetically stupid one-liners and unrealistic/childish gimmicks; no plot whatsoever: Stark's "change" wasn't believable at all, and not even substantiated; the action was lame and poorly crescendo (i.e., I seriously thought, during the final battle, that there was still going to be another "huge" fight... I was wrong); and, lastly, it was just horrible unrealistic, in general: Stark should have died at least 20 times (even with it being in within a comic book world, it tried to be all serious, yet here a guy is diving into a dune at 200 mph in a giant metal suit, walking away with scratches). All the faults built on each other, and the movie became unwatchable--the whole sum greater then parts bullshit. Was everyone just dazed by his shinny metal suits, and forgot that there was other stuff going on?

I don't think this movie ever tried to take itself THAT seriously.  Especially not in the sense that  Batman Begins did, trying to ground its hero within a very believable world.  Even with how much of a genius Tony Stark is, I doubt anybody can build a reactor or whatever the hell his little electro-magnet thing was inside a cave in the middle east using some missile casings and iron.  The technology used throughout the movie was obviously fictional, and I think there was very little to suggest this was a real world, outside of the characters.  And that's what comics are generally supposed to do.  They reflect some part of our culture or of human nature with realistic characters in unrealistic settings.  I think Batman Begins was the rare exception to the superhero movie formula.  Sure, there's plenty of times Stark should have been dead: when he first tried to fly and slammed into the wall at 100+ mph, when he crashed in the desert, etc.  Hell, even his armor was apparently indestructible, but once he lost his mask, what's-his-face was able to crush it with almost no effort.  I think this movie is one of the perfect examples of the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  I don't think it would have been anywhere near as good as it was though without Robert Downey, Jr.  He made Stark a believable character in the obviously fictional world.

Ya, I agree that it's not supposed to be entirely realistic, but if that stance would have been taken then I think I would have liked it better. To me, it just seemed like Favreau kept throwing in recycled material from Elf in the movie. It seriously tried way too hard to be funny... but it wasn't, at all. Robert did an good job acting the part, but the script didn't flesh out the character one bit, and THAT is what comic books are about: us flawed humans in supernatural or extraordinary situations. The character was way too static, the plot was ridiculously predictable (probably more so than any movie I've ever seen), and the many jokes flopped more often than not (to me, the crowd seemed to eat them up....). This all adds up to a lot of eye-rolling and faux-clapping (since when do people need to clap like douchebags in approval for a particular joke, at the theater? Isn't just the forced laughter enough?) by me.

You would have liked for a movie about a man who needs an electro-magnet in his chest to stop shrapnel from entering his heart that wears an iron suit using a non-existent technology allowing him to fly using his hands and feet at speeds no human should be able to move at to be a realistic film?  I think Batman is about the only superhero you can get some degree of "realism" with because he really doesn't do anything extraordinary other than use some gadgets.  Really, the gliding with his cape is about the most unrealistic thing about Batman.

And I think the jokes worked just fine, mostly because of RDJ.  The only joke I really thought fell flat was when Pepper Potts says something stupid about the device S.H.I.E.L.D. uses to open the door, but that's mostly due to shitty delivery on Paltrow's part.  As for the character of Tony Stark, one of the reasons it worked so well with RDJ was because he basically is that character.  If you want to find some realism, just look at the comparisons between Stark and Downey Jr.'s lives.

bocaj

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 12:39:33 AM »
You can be realistic within a giving set of rules or world, per se. So, say, in a world were these amazing technologies exist or some super-humans are created, you can still be realistic in that framework--realism is subjective in and of the rules of the world that the comic book set, or is elaborated upon. But that's irrelevant because I didn't like the movie to began with. Again, they didn't spend any time on the characters: drinking once or twice and having sex with one chick doesn't really set a precedent for you being an alcoholic womanizer. And his character doesn't really change at all, basically all he does is say he's not going to build weapons anymore. You don't feel for his personal problems and issues at all. It just seemed empty. Instead of so many lame "jokes," they should have developed the character, or even thrown in more fighting scenes. The movie was way too long for what little actually went on. But whatever, I thought it was an unfunny, shallow, and predictable movie, is all.
How can we win, when fools can be kings? Don't waste your time or time will waste you...

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 09:36:18 AM »
I still say he's naked under there!
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 09:43:51 AM »

You guys are both fucking nerds.  You're both college students.  Seriously, and I'm being serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer, GO OUT AND DO SOMETHING.  I don't give a shit what, but get off the damn interweb and e-bitch slapping each other.  For fucks sake, go see what a real woman's vagina looks like in the flesh.  It might look a little scary at first, but once you put your weiner inside of it, it's awesome.  DO IT.  DO IT NOW.  3,2,1. . .GO.  5,4,3,2,1. . .
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 09:47:59 AM »
Recycled material from Elf?  Did you even see either movie?

But I suppose this sums it up the best.

Quote from: bocaj on May 09, 2008, 12:39:33 AM
But that's irrelevant because I didn't like the movie to began with.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 10:15:30 AM »
Quote from: Thrillho on May 09, 2008, 09:36:18 AM
I still say he's naked under there!

*Yeah*.  That makes a lot of sense
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 10:18:26 AM »
Quote from: TDubbs on May 09, 2008, 09:43:51 AM

You guys are both fucking nerds.  You're both college students.  Seriously, and I'm being serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer, GO OUT AND DO SOMETHING.  I don't give a shit what, but get off the damn interweb and e-bitch slapping each other.  For fucks sake, go see what a real woman's vagina looks like in the flesh.  It might look a little scary at first, but once you put your weiner inside of it, it's awesome.  DO IT.  DO IT NOW.  3,2,1. . .GO.  5,4,3,2,1. . .

Some people do go to college for the...education.  I'll save you the hassle of trying to figure that one out.

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 10:23:05 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 09, 2008, 10:18:26 AM

You guys are both fucking nerds.  You're both college students.  Seriously, and I'm being serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer, GO OUT AND DO SOMETHING.  I don't give a shit what, but get off the damn interweb and e-bitch slapping each other.  For fucks sake, go see what a real woman's vagina looks like in the flesh.  It might look a little scary at first, but once you put your weiner inside of it, it's awesome.  DO IT.  DO IT NOW.  3,2,1. . .GO.  5,4,3,2,1. . .

Some people do go to college for the...education.  I'll save you the hassle of trying to figure that one out.

Some go for the smoking skull.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.

Three times a JD

• College Basketball Expert
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 10:24:26 AM »
Quote from: PTanner on May 09, 2008, 10:23:05 AM

Those kids were all home-schooled.  I'm not sure that their kind is allowed at colleges.  Well, maybe the directional schools would take 'em.  Right, BC?
Hey, I gotta go where the Blacktion is.

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 10:44:29 AM »
Quote from: Three times a JD on May 09, 2008, 10:24:26 AM

Those kids were all home-schooled.  I'm not sure that their kind is allowed at colleges.  Well, maybe the directional schools would take 'em.  Right, BC?

Did you just assign my bias against directional schools to BC?  If that was purposeable, I have to say it was a low-blow.
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

Three times a JD

• College Basketball Expert
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 10:46:46 AM »
Quote from: CT II on May 09, 2008, 10:44:29 AM

Did you just assign my bias against directional schools to BC?  If that was purposeable, I have to say it was a low-blow.

I thought it was BC that had the disdain for directional schools. 
Hey, I gotta go where the Blacktion is.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 11:01:42 AM »
Quote from: Three times a JD on May 09, 2008, 10:46:46 AM
Quote from: CT II on May 09, 2008, 10:44:29 AM

I thought it was BC that had the disdain for directional schools. 

No, that would be punctuation.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

bocaj

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 11:03:36 AM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on May 09, 2008, 09:47:59 AM
Recycled material from Elf?  Did you even see either movie?

But I suppose this sums it up the best.

Quote from: bocaj on May 09, 2008, 12:39:33 AM
But that's irrelevant because I didn't like the movie to began with.

Yes, nit-picking a grammar mistake dissproves my whole arguement. Bravo! You're a fucking genius. No, no, don't actually contend any of my points, just show how I used "begin" wrong.... Ya, that'll do it.

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 11:14:17 AM »

You guys are both fucking nerds.  You're both college students.  Seriously, and I'm being serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer, GO OUT AND DO SOMETHING.  I don't give a shit what, but get off the damn interweb and e-bitch slapping each other.  For fucks sake, go see what a real woman's vagina looks like in the flesh.  It might look a little scary at first, but once you put your weiner inside of it, it's awesome.  DO IT.  DO IT NOW.  3,2,1. . .GO.  5,4,3,2,1. . .

They're both in college?  What the fuck is a matter with you people?  I wholeheartedly agree with TDubbs on this one, and I will add much wiser words (obviously not mine)...  I also highlighted the key points for your own edification.

Grandpa: Are you gettin any? You can tell me. Are you gettin' any?
Dwayne: [shakes his head no]
Grandpa: Christ! what are you? 15? My God man! You gotta be gettin' that young stuff! The young stuff is the best stuff in the world. Your jail bait, their jail bait. You turn sixteen and your looking at three to five.

Grandpa: [to Dwayne] Fuck a lotta women, kid, I have no reason to lie to you. Not just one, a lotta women.
Richard: Okay, dad, I think we get it.
Grandpa: [to Dwayne] Are you getting it? Is it going in anywhere? No, don't show me the pad. I don't wanna see the fucking pad.