News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Inglorious Basterds  ( 17,409 )

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Inglorious Basterds
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 12:06:54 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 27, 2009, 12:00:04 PM
Quote from: Jon on August 27, 2009, 11:58:11 AM
Quote from: Oleg on August 27, 2009, 11:48:42 AM
Quote from: Jon on August 27, 2009, 11:44:43 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 27, 2009, 11:39:40 AM
Quote from: Jon on August 27, 2009, 11:30:46 AM
Quote from: Oleg on August 27, 2009, 11:19:36 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 27, 2009, 10:54:18 AM
I saw it last Friday.  Tarantino needs an editor with the balls to stand up to Tarantino.  I enjoyed it, but I disagree with "full of action and tension."  There were some VERY slow parts.  I thought it was worth seeing, though.  Pitt is terrific.

I thought the parts that weren't just a bunch of shooting at least advanced the plot, and were therefore effective.  I guess I do see what you're saying; the scene with the "Bear Jew" was a bit drawn out, waiting for his entrance (I didn't give up any plot, don't worry).  Maybe I just chose to remember the awesome parts.

It's no Pulp Fiction, but that would be like comparing the American version of The Office to the British one.

The tension and suspense was evident from the first scene, and there were few scenes where I could relax before something else was happening or going wrong or whatever.  Could just be me though; I am known to be somewhat uptight.

I didn't mind the build on the Bear Jew part. I thought there could have been a lot less plot and a lot more Nazi killing, though.

THI.

I agree, Oleg, that there weren't any pointless scenes.  I just felt that some of the scenes could have been a lot tighter.  I wouldn't have changed a single thing about the scene in the underground bar, though.  That was terrific.

THA.

I loved the opening scene (even though it was long as hell), and the bar scene. They were perfect for me. Pretty much every other scene in the movie could have been tightened, especially the ones between Shoshanna and her would be beau.

Not a very good picture Tarantino paints of women in this, huh?

Even the badass one gets all emotional (those who have seen the film will understand, the rest, go see the film).  The others are just dopes.

Yeah, but who cares what women think?

BC?

And we see where that leads.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 12:16:31 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 27, 2009, 11:37:57 AM
Quote from: Eli on August 27, 2009, 11:32:33 AM
It's no Pulp Fiction, but that would be like comparing the American version of The Office to the British one.

[potential thread derailment]
Am I wrong for liking the American Office better than the British? To be clear, I really like the British version; but if given the choice, I'd watch the American version.
[/potential thread derailment]

Not at this point.  The American Office really went off and did its own thing after the first few episodes, which was a great decision.  I still prefer the British Office, but they're such different shows now, it's whatever floats your boat.

This.

They're very different shows.

I mean, you could just as easily ask if it's okay to like Cheers more than M*A*S*H.

Granted, both series at one point or another featured the inestimable thespian talents of Keene Curtis in minor supporting roles. But those were two different characters on two totally different shows.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 12:23:49 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on August 27, 2009, 12:16:31 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 27, 2009, 11:37:57 AM
Quote from: Eli on August 27, 2009, 11:32:33 AM

[potential thread derailment]
Am I wrong for liking the American Office better than the British? To be clear, I really like the British version; but if given the choice, I'd watch the American version.
[/potential thread derailment]

Not at this point.  The American Office really went off and did its own thing after the first few episodes, which was a great decision.  I still prefer the British Office, but they're such different shows now, it's whatever floats your boat.

This.

They're very different shows.

I mean, you could just as easily ask if it's okay to like Cheers more than M*A*S*H.

Granted, both series at one point or another featured the inestimable thespian talents of Keene Curtis in minor supporting roles. But those were two different characters on two totally different shows.

THOSE.

The whole "British version was SO MUCH better" thing just seems like something people say to let you know that they have great taste in comedy and they TOTALLY GET the British sense of humor. Even if they actually prefer the American version.

[even further derailment]
Like when Jon stops liking bands after they sell their 12th album.
[/even further derailment]

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 12:27:42 PM »
Quote from: Jon on August 27, 2009, 12:06:54 PM
I saw it last Friday.  Tarantino needs an editor with the balls to stand up to Tarantino.  I enjoyed it, but I disagree with "full of action and tension."  There were some VERY slow parts.  I thought it was worth seeing, though.  Pitt is terrific.

I thought the parts that weren't just a bunch of shooting at least advanced the plot, and were therefore effective.  I guess I do see what you're saying; the scene with the "Bear Jew" was a bit drawn out, waiting for his entrance (I didn't give up any plot, don't worry).  Maybe I just chose to remember the awesome parts.

The tension and suspense was evident from the first scene, and there were few scenes where I could relax before something else was happening or going wrong or whatever.  Could just be me though; I am known to be somewhat uptight.

I didn't mind the build on the Bear Jew part. I thought there could have been a lot less plot and a lot more Nazi killing, though.

THI.

I agree, Oleg, that there weren't any pointless scenes.  I just felt that some of the scenes could have been a lot tighter.  I wouldn't have changed a single thing about the scene in the underground bar, though.  That was terrific.

THA.

I loved the opening scene (even though it was long as hell), and the bar scene. They were perfect for me. Pretty much every other scene in the movie could have been tightened, especially the ones between Shoshanna and her would be beau.

Even the badass one gets all emotional (those who have seen the film will understand, the rest, go see the film).  The others are just dopes.

BC?

Fuck that noise - "The Sopranos" were generally at their best when they were at their most misogynistic.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 12:34:23 PM »
Quote from: Fork on August 27, 2009, 12:27:42 PM

THI.

THA.

Even the badass one gets all emotional (those who have seen the film will understand, the rest, go see the film).  The others are just dopes.

BC?

Fuck that noise - "The Sopranos" were generally at their best when they were at their most misogynistic.

Fuck what noise?

What does "The Sopranos" have to do with BC's MO grazing parties?

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 12:36:01 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on August 27, 2009, 12:34:23 PM

THI.

THA.

Even the badass one gets all emotional (those who have seen the film will understand, the rest, go see the film).  The others are just dopes.

BC?

Fuck what noise?

Forget about it Thrankho, it's Forktown.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 12:37:24 PM »
Quote from: Jon on August 27, 2009, 12:36:01 PM

THI.

THA.

BC?

Fuck what noise?

Sopranos are to the Stones as Oasis is to the Beatles.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 12:38:15 PM »
Quote from: BH on August 27, 2009, 12:37:24 PM
Quote from: Jon on August 27, 2009, 12:36:01 PM

THI.

THA.

BC?

Fuck what noise?

Sopranos are to the Stones The Four Seasons as Oasis is to the Beatles.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 01:51:31 PM »

THI.

THA.

BC?

Fuck what noise?

Fork making a ridiculous comment that doesn't have anything to do with something?  Are you new here?
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 02:08:39 PM »
Quote from: TDubbs on August 27, 2009, 01:51:31 PM

THI.

THA.

BC?

Fuck what noise?

Fork making a ridiculous comment that doesn't have anything to do with something?  Are you new here?

I'd tell TDubbs to go fuck himself in the ass if I thought his pathetic little dingus could reach.
TIME TO POST!

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 02:15:50 PM »
Quote from: Fork on August 27, 2009, 02:08:39 PM

THI.

THA.

BC?

Fuck what noise?

I'd tell TDubbs to go fuck himself in the ass if I thought his pathetic little dingus could reach.

Maybe you could help him out.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 02:24:16 PM »
Quote from: BH on August 27, 2009, 02:15:50 PM
Quote from: Fork on August 27, 2009, 02:08:39 PM

THI.

THA.

BC?

Fuck what noise?

Maybe you could help him out.

My eyesight ain't what it used to be.
TIME TO POST!

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 01:08:08 PM »

I don't see this at all. Which women are you talking about?

Shoshana, when she felt a brief moment's pity for the clearly pathetic and naive Private Zoller?

Von Hammersmark, when she dispatched Willie or realized what Landa knew?

Goebbels' interpreter, when he was rogering her from behind?

As for being dopes, von Hammersmark was no more of a dope than Hicox, was she? I mean, he's got two German-born wingmen, but the Brit's doing all the talking?

I saw it last Friday.  Tarantino needs an editor with the balls to stand up to Tarantino.  I enjoyed it, but I disagree with "full of action and tension."  There were some VERY slow parts.  I thought it was worth seeing, though.  Pitt is terrific.

I thought the parts that weren't just a bunch of shooting at least advanced the plot, and were therefore effective.  I guess I do see what you're saying; the scene with the "Bear Jew" was a bit drawn out, waiting for his entrance (I didn't give up any plot, don't worry).  Maybe I just chose to remember the awesome parts.

The tension and suspense was evident from the first scene, and there were few scenes where I could relax before something else was happening or going wrong or whatever.  Could just be me though; I am known to be somewhat uptight.

THI.

I agree, Oleg, that there weren't any pointless scenes.  I just felt that some of the scenes could have been a lot tighter.  I wouldn't have changed a single thing about the scene in the underground bar, though.  That was terrific.

THA.

I disagree. I felt the pace was just about perfect.

Thinking back, the only scene I really wished was cut down while watching it was Hicox's meeting with the general played by Mike Myers.

And that was really one of my few major complaints with the movie overall: Mike Myers sucked; Eli Roth can't act worth shit (his "Teddy Ballgame" spiel had me wincing—luckily, that was pretty much the extent of his speaking role); and Samuel L. Jackson's voiceovers seemed tacked on. Maybe there were other quibbles, but I can't immediately recall them.

Also... Anyone else think Major King Kong from the tavern scene looked a bit like this?

Overall, though, I really liked it.

As every review I've read said, Christoph Waltz stole it as Col. Landa.

Brad Pitt played his role pretty much how it should have been played. His jawbone implant is already paying dividends.

"Bonnjerno."

As for Tarantino... I never cease to be amazed by him.

He has an uncanny ability to shift a scene from broad caricature to close-studied human emotion and back without it seeming labored. The situations his characters wind up in may be totally outsized, but the tension he builds up is based on something at a level much more authentic.

He's also clearly the king of effortless pastiche. I think it would be impossible to keep track of all the films he quotes and pays homage to. It would kind of miss the point, too: It all blends together and somehow works, for the most part at least, as a coherent whole.

There's his use of a Morricone tune that quotes Für Elise to open a film that mashes up Leone and the Dirty Dozen. Or the 80s-era Bowie that launches in from out of nowhere at the start of "Chapter Five." I laughed out loud when the latter started, yet it wound up helping to make that sequence one of the most captivating in the film.

Tarantino seems like a total douchebag. And he makes these totally fucking ludicrous films, each one more ludicrous than the last. If anyone else tries to do the shit he does, they fail miserably. Yet, aside from a few minor missteps, he always manages to pull it off.

He's everything Brian De Palma should have been.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 01:54:01 PM »
I hate this movie because everyone else here likes it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 02:10:04 PM »
Quote from: CT III on August 28, 2009, 01:54:01 PM
I hate this movie because everyone else here likes it.

And I like you because everyone else hates you.