News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ayn Rand is a boring old biddy!  ( 14,715 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Ayn Rand is a boring old biddy!
« on: June 15, 2010, 07:06:32 PM »
Shooting for Atlas Shrugged is underway.

No sign of Jolie or Pitt.

But they do have some guy from One Tree Hill directing and starring as John Galt, with a budget of $5 million and 5 weeks to adapt at least part of the 1000-plus-page tome...

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118020578.html?categoryid=4026&cs=1

QuoteThe long-brewing feature version of author Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" has begun shooting in Los Angeles as a $5 million indie produced by John Aglialoro and Harmon Kaslow.

Cameras began rolling over the weekend on a five-week shoot for "Atlas Shrugged Part One" with Paul Johansson directing from Brian Patrick O'Toole's script. Aglialoro would have lost the feature rights if the film wasn't in production by Saturday.

A spokesman for Aglialoro -- the CEO of exercise equipment producer Cybex -- said there will be at least one more "Atlas Shrugged" shot after the current film's completed. Rand's massive novel is divided into three parts, each consisting of 10 chapters.

The all-star cast...

QuoteJohansson ("One Tree Hill") portrays Galt. The lead role of railroad executive Dagny Taggart has gone to Taylor Schilling ("Mercy) and the part of Henry Reardon is being played by Grant Bowler ("Ugly Betty").

Michael Lerner ("A Serious Man") portrays lobbyist Wesley Mouch and director Nick Cassavetes has signed on for the Richard McNamara role. Other key cast include Matthew Marsdan as James Taggart and Graham Beckel as Ellis Wyatt.

"Atlas" also stars Edi Gathegi, Jsu Garcia, Rebecca Wisocky, Ethan Cohn, Patrick Fischer, Neill Barry, Christina Pickles and Nikki Klecha.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ayn Rand is a boring old biddy!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
[19 year-old Pex]BONARTYME[/19 year-old Pex]
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:33:24 PM »
[RugDoctor]I'm going to do $10,000 worth of damage to your carpeting! Spow![/RugDoctor]
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:36:11 PM »
Tank was more animal than man when he started this thread.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 09:52:05 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on June 15, 2010, 09:36:11 PM
Tank was more animal than man when he started this thread.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:08:42 PM »

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 10:23:17 PM »
This is the longest I've ever seen an internet thread about Ayn Rand go while still being moderately amusing.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 08:46:10 AM »
Who is John Galt?

Apparently, he is this guy.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 08:52:11 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 16, 2010, 08:46:10 AM
Who is John Galt?

I didn't even bother to look up who he was.

That's why I lose and Eli wins.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 11:51:18 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 16, 2010, 08:46:10 AM
Who is John Galt?

Whoa.  Crazy Joe Davola directed that episode!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 07:07:55 PM »
That's a wrap!

http://www.atlassociety.org/filming-atlas-shrugged-wraps1

QuoteThe Hollywood press has taken a dismissive view of the project. How could an outsider hope to produce a successful film with so little time, a reported budget of $5 million, a director with limited film experience, and a cast without stars?

Offsetting those limitations, however, is the passion of the producers, cast, and crew to realize the vision of the novel. That's why Johansson took on the challenge of directing on such short notice. (Though Atlas will be his first film, Johansson has considerable experience directing TV, with an Emmy to his credit.) Schilling was attracted to the lead roll because she loved Rand's work, having read Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. Many crew members came on board at less than their usual fees just to be part of the project. As for the budget, the producers says the actual figure is at least twice the reported $5 million. And Atlas is not really a star vehicle. The power of an adaptation, and its ultimate success or failure, turn on how well it captures Rand's narrative and its meaning. As an independent production, this adaptation has pursued that goal directly, without having to bargain with studios, stars, or screenwriters who don't get it.

"Many crew members came on board at less than their usual fees just to be part of the project."

Careful, guys... Someone could mistake this sort of thing for "altruism" and kick you out of the club.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 11:56:15 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-ford/ayn-rand-and-the-vip-dipe_b_792184.html

(I know, I know... HuffPo.)

QuoteHowever, it was revealed in the recent "Oral History of Ayn Rand" by Scott McConnell (founder of the media department at the Ayn Rand Institute) that in the end Ayn was a vip-dipper as well. An interview with Evva Pryror, a social worker and consultant to Miss Rand's law firm of Ernst, Cane, Gitlin and Winick verified that on Miss Rand's behalf she secured Rand's Social Security and Medicare payments which Ayn received under the name of Ann O'Connor (husband Frank O'Connor).

As Pryor said, "Doctors cost a lot more money than books earn and she could be totally wiped out" without the aid of these two government programs. Ayn took the bail out even though Ayn "despised government interference and felt that people should and could live independently... She didn't feel that an individual should take help."

But alas she did and said it was wrong for everyone else to do so. Apart from the strong implication that those who take the help are morally weak, it is also a philosophic point that such help dulls the will to work, to save and government assistance is said to dull the entrepreneurial spirit.

In the end, Miss Rand was a hypocrite but she could never be faulted for failing to act in her own self-interest.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 10:59:28 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 29, 2011, 11:56:15 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-ford/ayn-rand-and-the-vip-dipe_b_792184.html

(I know, I know... HuffPo.)

QuoteHowever, it was revealed in the recent "Oral History of Ayn Rand" by Scott McConnell (founder of the media department at the Ayn Rand Institute) that in the end Ayn was a vip-dipper as well. An interview with Evva Pryror, a social worker and consultant to Miss Rand's law firm of Ernst, Cane, Gitlin and Winick verified that on Miss Rand's behalf she secured Rand's Social Security and Medicare payments which Ayn received under the name of Ann O'Connor (husband Frank O'Connor).

As Pryor said, "Doctors cost a lot more money than books earn and she could be totally wiped out" without the aid of these two government programs. Ayn took the bail out even though Ayn "despised government interference and felt that people should and could live independently... She didn't feel that an individual should take help."

But alas she did and said it was wrong for everyone else to do so. Apart from the strong implication that those who take the help are morally weak, it is also a philosophic point that such help dulls the will to work, to save and government assistance is said to dull the entrepreneurial spirit.

In the end, Miss Rand was a hypocrite but she could never be faulted for failing to act in her own self-interest.

Glorious. That's awesome.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 11:32:34 AM »
http://www.ginandtacos.com/2011/04/17/battlefield-train-an-atlas-shrugged-movie-review/

QuoteBattlefield: Earth is still my favorite film in the "so unbelievably bad you have to see it to believe it" genre, and it shares many similarities with Atlas. Both are cynical efforts to extract money from the wallets of blindly devoted followers of a patently silly belief system / cult of personality. Battlefield: Earth was made with the confidence that Scientologists would pay to see it no matter how bad it was, and I am afraid that the same motives underlie the decision to rush this sloppy, amateurish version of Atlas Shrugged into theaters. It ends with the disappeared Ellis Wyatt announcing in voiceover that the has gone Galt, emphatically stating "DON'T try to find me...I am ON STRIKE!" which caused the theater to erupt in an impromptu round of applause. The small crowd of office managers and dentists and petty bureaucrats so enjoyed identifying with the great Producer for two hours before heading home and preparing for another big day of running Northeast Georgia's fourth largest supplier of plumbing fixtures or filling out forms in the Office of Administrative Technicalities at the (public) University. And the cynical bastards who made this sad excuse for a film knew that no matter how much it sucked, society's frustrated, impotent petit bourgeoisie – lawyers, secretaries, cubicle dwellers, engineers, and assorted other educated, angry white people – would gladly hand over the price of admission for that brief thrill of feeling like society would give two flying shits if any of them joined Mr. Wyatt "on strike."

Atlas Shrugged: Part I is as good as anyone could expect a film based on the fiction of Ayn Rand to be. Shit begets shit.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 11:37:07 AM »
I can't believe this is only part one.