News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ayn Rand is a boring old biddy!  ( 14,714 )

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ayn Rand is a boring old biddy!
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 10:54:55 AM »
Quote from: Fork on April 25, 2012, 07:50:34 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 24, 2012, 08:46:37 PM
Bump.

http://reason.com/archives/2012/04/20/on-the-set-of-atlas-shrugged-part-ii

QuoteIn a move that might prove controversial to fans of Part I, this new movie has been entirely recast—not a single actor reprises their role. Director Paul Johansson, meanwhile, has been replaced by John Putch (a TV veteran with many episodes of Scrubs and Cougar Town behind him).

Part IIs new Dagny Taggart—the railroad magnate heroine struggling to keep the motors of the world running while mysterious forces try to shut them down—is Samantha Mathis (perhaps most famously of Pump Up the Volume opposite Christian Slater).

Can't miss.

I can't wait to see Abed's walk-on role.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2012, 12:44:22 PM »
Spotted in the sidebar of this NYTimes article...

I laughed.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2012, 08:17:07 PM »
Sometimes the invisible hand requires men of singular will and fortitude to sign internet petitions...

Demand Atlas to your Town!

Look who's demanding Atlas!

Atlanta appears to lead the country at the moment, with 867 people gonna demanding Atlas to their Town!

(Your loss, Ryan.)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2012, 09:07:32 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 25, 2012, 08:17:07 PM
Sometimes the invisible hand requires men of singular will and fortitude to sign internet petitions...

Demand Atlas to your Town!

Look who's demanding Atlas!

Atlanta appears to lead the country at the moment, with 867 people gonna demanding Atlas to their Town!

(Your loss, Ryan.)

Springfield, Illinois : 258 - TOP TEN!  Way to go, Yeti.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 09:32:48 AM »

Bump.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 10:40:02 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 11, 2012, 09:32:48 AM

Bump.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/297023/ryan-shrugged-robert-costa

Quote"I reject her philosophy," Ryan says firmly. "It's an atheist philosophy. It reduces human interactions down to mere contracts and it is antithetical to my worldview. If somebody is going to try to paste a person's view on epistemology to me, then give me Thomas Aquinas," who believed that man needs divine help in the pursuit of knowledge. "Don't give me Ayn Rand," he says.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on August 11, 2012, 10:40:02 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 11, 2012, 09:32:48 AM

Bump.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/297023/ryan-shrugged-robert-costa

Quote"I reject her philosophy," Ryan says firmly. "It's an atheist philosophy. It reduces human interactions down to mere contracts and it is antithetical to my worldview. If somebody is going to try to paste a person's view on epistemology to me, then give me Thomas Aquinas," who believed that man needs divine help in the pursuit of knowledge. "Don't give me Ayn Rand," he says.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79597.html

QuoteIn 2003, the Wisconsin Republican told The Weekly Standard's writer Katherine Mangu-Ward, now at the libertarian Reason magazine, that he gave out Rand's books as gifts and tried to make interns read it.

"I give out 'Atlas Shrugged' [by Ayn Rand] as Christmas presents, and I make all my interns read it. Well... I try to make my interns read it," he said.

However, even then, Ryan pointed out that while he "looked into" Rand's philosophy, Objectivism, he is a Christian and reads the bible often.

In 2005, he said before the Objectivist organization the Atlas Society that, "[T]he reason I got involved in public service, by and large, if I had to credit one thinker, one person, it would be Ayn Rand. And the fight we are in here, make no mistake about it, is a fight of individualism versus collectivism."

In 2009, in a multi-part video series posted to Facebook, Paul Ryan said that "what's unique about what's happening today in government, in the world, in America, is that it's as if we're living in an Ayn Rand novel right now. I think Ayn Rand did the best job of anybody to build a moral case of capitalism, and that morality of capitalism is under assault."

"Ayn Rand, more than anyone else, did a fantastic job of explaining the morality of capitalism, the morality of individualism, and this to me is what matters most," he said in the second part of the series.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 01:17:25 PM »
Thomas Aquinas is so much better.

Give me the philosophies of people who were alive in fucking 1200 when the world was flat and no one knew what gravity was. Let's base our ideas on those people.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2012, 10:42:27 AM »
Sometimes I read books and decide that I like some of what the author had to say and I reject some other things. Ayn Rand is probably the most prominent example I can think of. Hunter Thompson is another. Sometimes I read things that help me better understand what I've read previously or see flaws in my former reasoning. I think that's a healthy way to read and to develop as a person. Is the fact that this dude used to like Ayn Rand more than he does now going to be an issue? Are people asshurt that he seems to have changed his mind? Or are they asshurt because he's all Christian-y? I'd like in on the asshurt (||) but I'm not sure where to direct it. Help?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2012, 10:51:23 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 13, 2012, 10:42:27 AM
Sometimes I read books and decide that I like some of what the author had to say and I reject some other things. Ayn Rand is probably the most prominent example I can think of. Hunter Thompson is another. Sometimes I read things that help me better understand what I've read previously or see flaws in my former reasoning. I think that's a healthy way to read and to develop as a person. Is the fact that this dude used to like Ayn Rand more than he does now going to be an issue? Are people asshurt that he seems to have changed his mind? Or are they asshurt because he's all Christian-y? I'd like in on the asshurt (||) but I'm not sure where to direct it. Help?

I think they're asshurt because he said he based a lot of his beliefs off Ayn Rand and then when it polled poorly, he said he rejected her ideas.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 13, 2012, 10:51:23 AM

I think they're asshurt because he said he based a lot of his beliefs off Ayn Rand and then when it polled poorly, he said he rejected her ideas.

It's hard to be a devoted Christian and simultaneously choke on Ayn Rand's dong.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2012, 10:56:34 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on August 13, 2012, 10:55:18 AM
Quote from: Eli on August 13, 2012, 10:51:23 AM

It's hard to be a devoted Christian and simultaneously choke on Ayn Rand's dong.

The Tea Party says otherwise. They don't say HOW. But they say otherwise.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2012, 11:35:57 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 12, 2012, 01:17:25 PM

Give me the philosophies of people who were alive in fucking 1200 when the world was flat and no one knew what gravity was. Let's base our ideas on those people.

The difference is that Aquinas was one of Western civilization's foundational thinkers. Whereas Rand was mostly just a confused old crank.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 13, 2012, 11:35:57 AM
Quote from: Slaky on August 12, 2012, 01:17:25 PM

The difference is that Aquinas was one of Western civilization's foundational thinkers. Whereas Rand was mostly just a confused old crank.

Indeed. LEAVE AQUINAS OUT OF THIS.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015