News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Hobbit  ( 9,701 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 09:32:15 AM »
Meanwhile, in Middle Butthurt...

QuoteHowever, the Tolkien Estate cannot do anything about the way New Line adapts the books. In the new Hobbit movie, for example, the audience will discover characters Tolkien never put in, especially women. The same is true for the merchandise, which ranges from tea towels to boxes of nuggets, with an infinite variety of toys, stationery, t-shirts, games, etc. Not only the titles of the books themselves, but also the names of their characters have been copyrighted.

"We are in the back seat," Cathleen Blackburn comments. In other words, the Estate can do little but watch the scenery, except in extreme cases-- for example, preventing the use of the name Lord of the Rings on Las Vegas slot machines, or for amusement parks. "We were able to prove that nothing in the original contract dealt with that sort of exploitation."

Action movies

"I could write a book on the idiotic requests I have received," sighs Christopher Tolkien. He is trying to protect the literary work from the three-ring circus that has developed around it. In general, the Tolkien Estate refuses almost all requests. "Normally, the executors of the estate want to promote a work as much as they can," notes Adam Tolkien, the son of Christopher and Baillie. "But we are just the opposite. We want to put the spotlight on that which is not Lord of the Rings."

The Tolkien Estate was not able to prevent an American cartoon called Lord of the Beans, but a comic-strip version of it was halted. This policy, however, has not protected the family from the reality that the work now belongs to a gigantic audience, culturally far removed from the writer who conceived it.

Invited to meet Peter Jackson, the Tolkien family preferred not to. Why? "They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25," Christopher says regretfully. "And it seems that The Hobbit will be the same kind of film."

This divorce has been systematically driven by the logic of Hollywood. "Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time," Christopher Tolkien observes sadly. "The chasm between the beauty and seriousness of the work, and what it has become, has overwhelmed me. The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing. There is only one solution for me: to turn my head away."
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 09:39:47 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 09, 2013, 09:32:15 AM

QuoteHowever, the Tolkien Estate cannot do anything about the way New Line adapts the books. In the new Hobbit movie, for example, the audience will discover characters Tolkien never put in, especially women. The same is true for the merchandise, which ranges from tea towels to boxes of nuggets, with an infinite variety of toys, stationery, t-shirts, games, etc. Not only the titles of the books themselves, but also the names of their characters have been copyrighted.

"We are in the back seat," Cathleen Blackburn comments. In other words, the Estate can do little but watch the scenery, except in extreme cases-- for example, preventing the use of the name Lord of the Rings on Las Vegas slot machines, or for amusement parks. "We were able to prove that nothing in the original contract dealt with that sort of exploitation."

Action movies

"I could write a book on the idiotic requests I have received," sighs Christopher Tolkien. He is trying to protect the literary work from the three-ring circus that has developed around it. In general, the Tolkien Estate refuses almost all requests. "Normally, the executors of the estate want to promote a work as much as they can," notes Adam Tolkien, the son of Christopher and Baillie. "But we are just the opposite. We want to put the spotlight on that which is not Lord of the Rings."

The Tolkien Estate was not able to prevent an American cartoon called Lord of the Beans, but a comic-strip version of it was halted. This policy, however, has not protected the family from the reality that the work now belongs to a gigantic audience, culturally far removed from the writer who conceived it.

Invited to meet Peter Jackson, the Tolkien family preferred not to. Why? "They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25," Christopher says regretfully. "And it seems that The Hobbit will be the same kind of film."

This divorce has been systematically driven by the logic of Hollywood. "Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time," Christopher Tolkien observes sadly. "The chasm between the beauty and seriousness of the work, and what it has become, has overwhelmed me. The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing. There is only one solution for me: to turn my head away."

LORD OF THE BEANZO!!!
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 09:43:06 AM »

Action movies

That's a whole lot of words for the Tolkein estate to say "A bunny sled? Ghey."
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 09:53:12 AM »
Quote from: Bort on January 09, 2013, 09:43:06 AM

Action movies

That's a whole lot of words for the Tolkein estate to say "A bunny sled? Ghey."

"Female characters? GAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY."

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 10:38:47 AM »

Tolstink is terrible.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 10:41:49 AM »
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 12:41:29 PM »
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 12:07:18 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 09, 2013, 09:23:38 AM
Quote from: SKO on January 09, 2013, 08:53:06 AM
Quote from: R-V on January 09, 2013, 08:51:33 AM
I feel like this thread is a parody of the internet.

I always enjoy it when one of the Desipio internet ghey nerds acts surprised when he realizes he spends all of his time on a ghey internet messageboard for ghey internet nerds.

That doesn't mean RV's wrong.

THI
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 12:11:40 PM »

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 05:26:39 PM »

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 08, 2013, 02:59:00 PM
For the record, this is what was "worse than Ewoks":

Goddammit, Chuck.

No, Chuck.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 11:14:52 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 02, 2013, 10:44:17 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 08, 2013, 02:59:00 PM
For the record, this is what was "worse than Ewoks":

Goddammit, Chuck.

No, Chuck.

Yep.  Still no, Chuck.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2013, 12:07:22 PM »

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 12:12:38 PM »