News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: We'll All Want To Have Albert Almora's Babies in 2016 Thread  ( 21,912 )

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: We'll All Want To Have Albert Almora's Babies in 2016 Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2017, 08:21:39 PM »
Jr Dong!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2018, 09:01:10 AM »
Bump.

I know AAJr has been pretty vocal about his desire to be the Cubs' full-time CF, but I don't swee how that happens. Happ's bat needs a spot, and I don't swee a platoon with Almora and the switch-hitting Happ making much sense.

I guess if the Cubs need to make a trade, Almora is expendable.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2018, 10:24:31 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on March 02, 2018, 09:01:10 AM
Bump.

I know AAJr has been pretty vocal about his desire to be the Cubs' full-time CF, but I don't swee how that happens. Happ's bat needs a spot, and I don't swee a platoon with Almora and the switch-hitting Happ making much sense.

Or Happ.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2018, 10:31:12 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on March 02, 2018, 10:24:31 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on March 02, 2018, 09:01:10 AM
Bump.

Or Happ.

I think the Cubs will keep both at least through this year (if they sign Harper next year then yeah somebody has to go) if only because it's really easy to get both of them into the lineup vs lefties and if Heyward doesn't massive improve it's not hard to see him losing at bats vs RHP too. The roster doesn't have a ton of quality outfield depth (plenty of infield depth) so they need all four of the guys they've got right now. The prospect shine is off Almora at this point and he's likely more valuable to the Cubs as a short-side platoon guy and defensive replacement than he would be in a trade, most teams aren't going to offer anything of real value for a guy whose upside might be 1.5-2 wins.

If Almora starts to hit right-handers and his defense improves from last year (when it was surprisingly disappointing, I think because he added all of that weight), then this is a different conversation.

Also a platoon makes perfect sense. Happ being switch-hitting doesn't mean he hits both sides equally well, he's better vs RHP than LHP, for one, but even still vs LHP your outfield is probably Zobrist/Almora/Happ and vs RHP it can be Schwarber/Happ/Heyward.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2018, 10:55:46 AM »
DPD

Happ vs RHP: .243/.334/.529/.863
Happ vs LHP: .276/.313/.476/.789

Almora vs RHP: .271/.291/.420/.711
Almora vs LHP: .342/.411/.486/.898

Happ in 2016 in the minors had a .605 OPS vs LHP and a .781 vs RHP so he'd appear to just be a naturally better hitter from the left side of the plate. That said I don't think he'll lose many ABs vs lefties with Heyward or Schwarber or both likely to sit vs LHP.

So it's pretty easy to get Happ a full season of PAs in center and the corners while giving Almora every start in center vs a LHP and if he improves on that .711 OPS vs RHP last year it's not hard to see him stealing playing time away from Heyward if Heyward continues to crater offensively.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #155 on: April 23, 2018, 08:14:51 AM »

He's a decent fielder.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2018, 08:13:43 AM »
He's hitting .306/.366/.388 against RHP so far this year. Small sample size but if Al is going to be average or better against RHP, and Happ/Schwarber keep hitting, let's just not even bother with the Jason Heyward thing anymore and just go with the All First Round Pick outfield until Happ becomes a utility player next year after they sign Harper.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2018, 08:15:44 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 21, 2018, 08:13:43 AM
He's hitting .306/.366/.388 against RHP so far this year. Small sample size but if Al is going to be average or better against RHP, and Happ/Schwarber keep hitting, let's just not even bother with the Jason Heyward thing anymore and just go with the All First Round Pick outfield until Happ becomes a utility player next year after they sign Harper.

Trade Heyward to the Nats after signing Harper. Even Stevens.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2018, 08:28:14 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 21, 2018, 08:15:44 AM

After all of the years of the Cubs first round draft picks being the saddest fucking list in history fielding a lineup that has Baez, Almora, Bryant, Schwarber, and Happ all in it and kicking ass is definitely bonerworthy.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2018, 09:52:26 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 21, 2018, 08:28:14 AM

After all of the years of the Cubs first round draft picks being the saddest fucking list in history fielding a lineup that has Baez, Almora, Bryant, Schwarber, and Happ all in it and kicking ass is definitely bonerworthy.

Imagine if Little & Lange pan out and join the rotation.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: May 21, 2018, 12:19:05 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 21, 2018, 09:52:26 AM

So according to B-Ref of the 63 Cubs first round draft picks before 2016, 42 of them made the majors, so that 66.7% "success" rate was actually higher than I expected. Those 42 players have produced 281.4 bWAR combined in the majors. Unfortunately, 109.3 of that bWAR is Palmeiro and Donaldson and all of 2.9 of those wins were for the Cubs. All told the Cubs have gotten a whopping 96 bWAR total in a Cub uniform from their 63 first round picks. That's incredibly sad, and Bryant/Baez/Almora/Happ/Schwarber represent 38% of that.

Prior/Wood/Patterson/Palmeiro/Dunston/Harkey/Martz/Glanville/Orie/Derrick May/Cashner/Jerry Tab were all of the other Cubs positive value first round picks, combining for a total of 71.4 bWAR, but they were also hurt by 14 dudes who produced negative value in the majors, including some guy named Scot Thompson who was worth a whopping -4.4 bWAR.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #161 on: May 21, 2018, 12:48:36 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 21, 2018, 12:19:05 PM

So according to B-Ref of the 63 Cubs first round draft picks before 2016, 42 of them made the majors, so that 66.7% "success" rate was actually higher than I expected. Those 42 players have produced 281.4 bWAR combined in the majors. Unfortunately, 109.3 of that bWAR is Palmeiro and Donaldson and all of 2.9 of those wins were for the Cubs. All told the Cubs have gotten a whopping 96 bWAR total in a Cub uniform from their 63 first round picks. That's incredibly sad, and Bryant/Baez/Almora/Happ/Schwarber represent 38% of that.

Prior/Wood/Patterson/Palmeiro/Dunston/Harkey/Martz/Glanville/Orie/Derrick May/Cashner/Jerry Tab were all of the other Cubs positive value first round picks, combining for a total of 71.4 bWAR, but they were also hurt by 14 dudes who produced negative value in the majors, including some guy named Scot Thompson who was worth a whopping -4.4 bWAR.

I saw Scot Thompson collect 4 hits on the second-to-last day of the '82 season.  #coolstorybro

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2018, 01:07:03 PM »

It's almost like we should be enjoying what we're seeing from this team.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #163 on: May 21, 2018, 01:26:59 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 21, 2018, 01:07:03 PM

It's almost like we should be enjoying what we're seeing from this team.

OH CHECK OUT THE SUPER HIPSTER RATIONAL COOL FAN WHO DOESN'T HAVE EMOTIONS AND THINKS HE'S SUPERIOR BECAUSE HE'S NOT KICKING AND SCREAMING LIKE A COKED UP CHIP CARAY AT THE END OF TWO INNINGS BECAUSE THESE MISERABLE FUCKSTICKS AND THEIR ASSHOLE MANAGER WHO CAN GO GET FUCKED AREN'T WINNING IN THE FASHION THAT'S EASIEST ON MY NERVES HOW DARE THEY WHY WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE FANS NO BUT SERIOUSLY I'M SUPER COOL AND NORMAL IN REAL LIFE THIS IS HOW I ACT ON TWITTER WHICH MAKES THINGS OKAY AND DOESN'T REFLECT POORLY ON ME WHATSOEVER YOU CAN GO GET FUCKED SUPER RATIONAL FAN OR I'LL JUST FUCKING BLOCK YOU

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #164 on: May 21, 2018, 01:27:57 PM »
DPD.

I do enjoy the bumping of these years-old threads since I automatically go the beginning and see just how fucking stupid we all are.