News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Poll

The latest Hall of Fame ballot is out. You can vote for up to 10. Who do you vote for?

Harold Baines
Jay Bell
Bert Blyleven
David Cone
Andre Dawson
Ron Gant
Mark Grace
Rickey Henderson
Tommy John
Don Mattingly
Mark McGwire
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
Jesse Orosco
Dave Parker
Dan Plesac
Tim Raines
Jim Rice
Lee Smith
Alan Trammell
Greg Vaughn
Mo Vaughn
Matt Williams

Voting closed: December 11, 2008, 03:01:23 PM

Author Topic: Who's a Hall of Famer?  ( 59,319 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Who's a Hall of Famer?
« Reply #300 on: January 09, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »
Quote from: Tony on January 09, 2014, 03:08:42 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on January 09, 2014, 01:52:27 PM
I'm tired of reading about Greg Maddux.

Did you hear Larry Himes on the Score yesterday? He said he probably should have asked the Trib bigwigs for a little more cash to sign Maddux. Gee... you think so, Larrry?

I didn't hear him. Fuck that douchecannon in his entire face.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #301 on: January 09, 2014, 03:24:26 PM »
I thought this guy's take was interesting. http://nbcbayarea.csnbayarea.com/giants/baggarly-explains-how-he-almost-left-maddux-hof-ballot

Because of the refusal of the sanctimonious guys to support any "PED Era" players, there's a logjam forming where there are >10 deserving candidates but non-shithead voters can only cast their support for 10. That's only going to get worse in the next few years. I guess I can kind of see the "pissing in the wind" line of reasoning behind supporting less popular (but still deserving) players in lieu of the shoe-ins.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #302 on: January 09, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »

Did you hear Larry Himes on the Score yesterday? He said he probably should have asked the Trib bigwigs for a little more cash to sign Maddux. Gee... you think so, Larrry?

What difference would it have made? He was patting himself on the back for getting 3 pitchers for the price of one at the time.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #303 on: January 09, 2014, 04:25:33 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 09, 2014, 03:37:44 PM

What difference would it have made? He was patting himself on the back for getting 3 pitchers for the price of one at the time.

That's a +2.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #304 on: January 09, 2014, 06:16:15 PM »
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #305 on: January 09, 2014, 07:52:15 PM »

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #306 on: January 10, 2014, 02:53:35 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on January 09, 2014, 03:24:26 PM
I thought this guy's take was interesting. http://nbcbayarea.csnbayarea.com/giants/baggarly-explains-how-he-almost-left-maddux-hof-ballot

Because of the refusal of the sanctimonious guys to support any "PED Era" players, there's a logjam forming where there are >10 deserving candidates but non-shithead voters can only cast their support for 10. That's only going to get worse in the next few years. I guess I can kind of see the "pissing in the wind" line of reasoning behind supporting less popular (but still deserving) players in lieu of the shoe-ins.

Apart from the bit where he was talking about voting for Larry Walker or Mike Mussina, that was a very well thought-out and interesting article.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #307 on: January 10, 2014, 12:06:12 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 10, 2014, 02:53:35 AM

Apart from the bit where he was talking about voting for Larry Walker or Mike Mussina, that was a very well thought-out and interesting article.

Walker's not a terrible pick. He's 85th all-time in WAR and won 8 Gold Gloves. He led the league in batting three times and OPS twice. Was he juicing AND playing his home games in Colorado? Probably. But it's not like he was some big, slow, DH. If I were a GM in the same era, how would I not rather have Walker than Frank Thomas?

Injuries did plague Walker. I think he's underrated though. If he played in a major market people would have appreciated how great he was. Playing rightfield in Colorado is no joke and he was the dick at it. 

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #308 on: January 10, 2014, 02:46:44 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 10, 2014, 12:06:12 PM

Walker's not a terrible pick. He's 85th all-time in WAR and won 8 Gold Gloves. He led the league in batting three times and OPS twice. Was he juicing AND playing his home games in Colorado? Probably. But it's not like he was some big, slow, DH. If I were a GM in the same era, how would I not rather have Walker than Frank Thomas?

Injuries did plague Walker. I think he's underrated though. If he played in a major market people would have appreciated how great he was. Playing rightfield in Colorado is no joke and he was the dick at it. 

Larry Walker was damn good. I wouldn't get upset if he never made the hall of fame but that's an actual baseball discussion. Not the "he did drugs or was mean to me" discussion which I don't give a fuck about.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #309 on: January 10, 2014, 03:26:19 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 10, 2014, 02:46:44 PM

Larry Walker was damn good. I wouldn't get upset if he never made the hall of fame but that's an actual baseball discussion. Not the "he did drugs or was mean to me" discussion which I don't give a fuck about.

I wouldn't hate on anyone for voting (or not voting) for Walker or Mussina, but can we just take a quick minute to collectively fuck Jeff Kent in his buttchute?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #310 on: January 10, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on January 10, 2014, 03:26:19 PM

I wouldn't hate on anyone for voting (or not voting) for Walker or Mussina, but can we just take a quick minute to collectively fuck Jeff Kent in his buttchute?

No need to wait for me, go ahead and knock yourself out.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #311 on: January 10, 2014, 03:50:29 PM »
Quote from: BH on January 10, 2014, 03:35:05 PM

I always hated Jeff Kent as a player and a person, until the day that he got into it physically with Barry Bonds in the dugout during a game.  I can't say that should qualify him for the Hall of Fame, but on the other hand...
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/games02/06/25-giants-padres.htm
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #312 on: January 10, 2014, 04:31:53 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 10, 2014, 03:50:29 PM

I always hated Jeff Kent as a player and a person, until the day that he got into it physically with Barry Bonds in the dugout during a game.  I can't say that should qualify him for the Hall of Fame, but on the other hand...

Counterpoint: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/10/los-angeles-dod.html

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #313 on: January 10, 2014, 06:16:13 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on January 10, 2014, 04:31:53 PM
Quote from: CBStew on January 10, 2014, 03:50:29 PM

Counterpoint: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/10/los-angeles-dod.html

His only political contribution was to make a statement against gay marriage?  I bet he and Barry saw eye to eye on that one.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #314 on: January 11, 2014, 08:46:48 AM »
Is Kent a "suspect"?

Like Slaky, I don't really care if playerd were juicing.  Although Kent did take Sandberg's HR title, even if it was legit the guy was an absolute butcher at the what is arguably the 3rd least essential position on the diamond.  So if he did hit his homeruns "naturally (whatever that might mean) he still fucking sucks.  The Fred McGriff of second basemen. 

Thank you, Chuck D. for rekindling my Kent Hatred.  I think I had forgotten all about that asshole.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs