News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Chicago Blackhawks 2010-11 Title Defense/Capocalypse/Kyle Beach Murder Thread  ( 62,785 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on July 31, 2010, 09:13:27 PM
Niemi coming in at $2.75MM makes it a no-brainer.

I still see in some places it's a one-or-the-other, but this is obviously a split-the-difference deal.

If Niemi was asking for 2.75, this never would have gone to arbitration.

I meant, the smart thing to do here is let Antti Niemi walk, and sign Marty Turco for a million dollars less.

Yep. That's what I meant.

We'll find out if we've been right about the Hawks' system making the goalie a less important component.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on August 02, 2010, 10:06:14 AM
Quote from: Fork on July 31, 2010, 09:13:27 PM
Niemi coming in at $2.75MM makes it a no-brainer.

I still see in some places it's a one-or-the-other, but this is obviously a split-the-difference deal.

If Niemi was asking for 2.75, this never would have gone to arbitration.

I meant, the smart thing to do here is let Antti Niemi walk, and sign Marty Turco for a million dollars less.

Yep. That's what I meant.

We'll find out if we've been right about the Hawks' system making the goalie a less important component.

You won't find analysis like this just anywhere.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I'm a bit surprised that they couldn't work out a trade with anyone.

What sucks is that, barring a jump to the KHL, Niemi will probably now have to sign with another team for less than the arbitration amount. Possibly for a number that the Hawks could have kept him at.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I'm happily on board with this. Getting HueyHurt over Niemi for nostalgia purposes is something I can sort of understand but the guy is far from worth 2.75 million a year or anything resembling it.

Turco and maybe Beach as Fork seems to think sounds like a winner to me.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 02, 2010, 10:12:49 AM

What sucks is that, barring a jump to the KHL, Niemi will probably now have to sign with another team for less than the arbitration amount. Possibly for a number that the Hawks could have kept him at.

Maybe the Sharks?  Maybe this was their plan all along????!?!?!?!?!

BASTARDS!!!
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I'm not. I think either Niemi or Zito overestimated the demand the market had for him. Any team willing to pay $2.75MM/year for Niemi was also willing to wait it out.

Now it looks like his only real NHL options will be Edmonton or San Jose. Which means 45 shots a night. Hope for his sake he gets a long-term deal.

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Gilgamesh on August 02, 2010, 11:44:55 AM

BASTARDS!!!

Answer me this: do you feel that if the Hawks go to San Jose and the Sharks have Niemi in goal that the Hawks are at a bigger disadvantage than they were going against Nabby?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on August 02, 2010, 12:08:41 PM

BASTARDS!!!

Answer me this: do you feel that if the Hawks go to San Jose and the Sharks have Niemi in goal that the Hawks are at a bigger disadvantage than they were going against Nabby?

Gil was openly rooting for the Hawks to sign Turco this morning, so I don't think he's actually broken up about this at all.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 02, 2010, 12:19:13 PM

BASTARDS!!!

Gil was openly rooting for the Hawks to sign Turco this morning, so I don't think he's actually broken up about this at all.

I couldn't read the green font. I Kurted.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on August 02, 2010, 12:30:07 PM

BASTARDS!!!

Is that what I smell?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

BASTARDS!!!

The biggest disadvantage for The Hawks over last year is that Rob Blake retired.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Oleg on August 02, 2010, 12:43:18 PM

BASTARDS!!!

The biggest disadvantage for The Hawks over last year is that Rob Blake retired.

They honored him with a statue at the blue line.
TIME TO POST!

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

BASTARDS!!!

I wasn't really the biggest Niemi fan out there.  Certainly better than Huet, but on the whole, an average goalie.  He was starting to break down towards the end of the Philly series.

Turco's numbers were pretty decent considering the shitty D he had in front of him.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Gilgamesh on August 02, 2010, 01:30:19 PM

BASTARDS!!!

I wasn't really the biggest Niemi fan out there.  Certainly better than Huet, but on the whole, an average goalie.  He was starting to break down towards the end of the Philly series.

Turco's numbers were pretty decent considering the shitty D he had in front of him.

I'd like to hug you right now. A manly hug. A good five second clinch with a hearty back slap. Then release and move on.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on August 02, 2010, 01:34:05 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on August 02, 2010, 01:30:19 PM

BASTARDS!!!

I'd like to hug you right now. A manly hug. A good five second clinch with a hearty back slap. Then release and move on.

So, no poss. hje?