News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 364,696 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #1905 on: November 14, 2014, 07:45:12 PM »
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1906 on: November 15, 2014, 11:31:48 AM »
A hilarious reappearance of teh Pual notwithstanding, I'll actually agree that it's a pretty goddamn stupid take to insist that "someone in the middle infield has to go" the implication being that they have to go NOW.  Fuck that--nobody needs to be traded yet.  Russel's not even on the big-league roster right noe.  What the fuck is that shit?  They've got canyons of payroll room to sign pitchers this offseason.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1907 on: November 15, 2014, 11:37:39 AM »
The 140 character limit doesn't allow for nuance. While I agree that someone from th MI doesn't "have to go," it is the most likely place for a trade to come from due to the surplus of talent. Futher, this front office has a history of trading from the MI (Nomar, Ramirez).

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1908 on: November 15, 2014, 11:46:55 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 15, 2014, 11:37:39 AM
The 140 character limit doesn't allow for nuance. While I agree that someone from th MI doesn't "have to go," it is the most likely place for a trade to come from due to the surplus of talent. Futher, this front office has a history of trading from the MI (Nomar, Ramirez).

I don't think that anyone's going to argue that one of the MI's will be dealt eventually...but there's no reason to do it this offseason.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1909 on: November 15, 2014, 11:59:18 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 15, 2014, 11:46:55 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 15, 2014, 11:37:39 AM

I don't think that anyone's going to argue that one of the MI's will be dealt eventually...but there's no reason to do it this offseason.

And to do it for Jordan Zimmerman is even dumber and more needlessly impulsive.  Zimmerman's a fine pitcher but the only guy for whom they should consider dealing their studs would be Hamels and I'm not 100% sold on the wisdom of doing that.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1910 on: November 15, 2014, 12:06:57 PM »
Why is trading for a 30 year old better than trading for a 25 year old?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1911 on: November 15, 2014, 01:12:22 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 15, 2014, 12:06:57 PM

Well, first of all, Zimmermann is 28, not 25. Also, Hamels has 4 reasonable years left on his contract and Zimmermann hits FA after next season.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1912 on: November 15, 2014, 01:21:43 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 15, 2014, 01:12:22 PM

Well, first of all, Zimmermann is 28, not 25. Also, Hamels has 4 reasonable years left on his contract and Zimmermann hits FA after next season. Because Chuck is wrong.

Could have saved yourself some keystrokes.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1913 on: November 15, 2014, 04:43:28 PM »

Well, first of all, Zimmermann is 28, not 25. Also, Hamels has 4 reasonable years left on his contract and Zimmermann hits FA after next season.

So you'd get 2 more years of a player's prime in exchange for more of Ricketts' money? Sign me up.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1914 on: November 16, 2014, 01:27:00 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 15, 2014, 04:43:28 PM

So you'd get 2 more years of a player's prime in exchange for more of Ricketts' money? Sign me up.

Ok. What am I signing you up for?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1915 on: November 16, 2014, 02:17:23 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on November 16, 2014, 01:27:00 AM

Ok. What am I signing you up for?

Something about ... being forced to stare at Christina Hendricks' ass until he dies of starvation
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1916 on: November 16, 2014, 08:18:41 AM »

I know you work in banking so this may be hard to understand, but just because it's someone else's money doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

(I'm kidding, of course, but it's not like Ricketts' money is unlimited.)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1917 on: November 16, 2014, 09:08:15 AM »
I'm not cool with trading anyone from the MI because I don't think when you look at what the return for Price or Lester was that any of these pitchers really merit a player of Starlin or Russell's caliber. Also Baez is an interesting case that I wouldn't trade because his upside is so ridiculously high, but I also wouldn't trade Castro or Russell yet because there's a very distinct possibility that Baez might just suck and we would need said MI surplus to cover that possibility.

On a different note I realize she's cloaked herself in lots of really eloquent and intelligent statements about how hard it is to be a woman in sports media to the point that you can't help but feel like a sexist prick when talking negatively about her, but Julie says a lot of terribly stupid shit.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1918 on: November 17, 2014, 10:54:06 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 14, 2014, 11:45:54 AM
Quote from: R-V on November 14, 2014, 11:44:13 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 14, 2014, 09:45:49 AM
Quote from: PANK! on November 14, 2014, 09:39:04 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 14, 2014, 09:35:27 AM
Comedy is hard.  Believe me I know.

Perhaps this should go into the "I Admit It" thread but like 95% of the guys who do Cubs Twitter grate on me for some indefinable reason.  I know that's a really shocking admission coming from a perpetually angry, drunken potato head but I thought I'd put it out there nonetheless.

I really like Arguello, and Sahadev is fine but the rest of those guys annoy me for some reason.

I get Arguello and Loxas mixed up, but I just think of them both as guys who pretend to have sources and probably don't.

And if anyone ever reeked of effort, it's Brett from Bleacher Nation.

I think this is commonly referred to as "the Dan Bernstein."

I sincerely admire and appreciate the work ethic that has to go into Bleacher Nation - it's hands down the best source for keeping up to date on all things Cub - but yeah it's too bad that product couldn't be churned out by someone who also has a good sense of humor.

None
of them have a sense of humor.  They all talk about the same thing-- the Cubs, their children/babies, and whatever craft beer they're drinking at the time.

It's like being trapped in a room with an even more insufferable PenFoe.

For what it's worth, I'm cool with both Brett and Arguello.  They're fine sources of information and that's really what I "use" them for.  I have other places to go for humor and I don't care if they're trying too hard or whatever the current bitch session is.   I don't stop reading CNN because I don't like their sense of humor, I stop reading because the news is old or irrelevant. 

As long as those guys are churning out news and perspective on the Cubs without getting butthurt every article, they're fine by me. 

Also, I don't give two shits whether they follow me on Twitter or not.  It's not like my Twitter (or any of ours) are vital sources of information, outside of maybe Slak's soccer one that I don't understand. 

They're just guys working hard to put out news and information about the Cubs and doing so in a way that is decidedly not Al-like. 

They're good by me. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1919 on: November 17, 2014, 11:02:04 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 17, 2014, 10:54:06 AM
Quote from: PANK! on November 14, 2014, 11:45:54 AM
Quote from: R-V on November 14, 2014, 11:44:13 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 14, 2014, 09:45:49 AM
Quote from: PANK! on November 14, 2014, 09:39:04 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 14, 2014, 09:35:27 AM
Comedy is hard.  Believe me I know.

Perhaps this should go into the "I Admit It" thread but like 95% of the guys who do Cubs Twitter grate on me for some indefinable reason.  I know that's a really shocking admission coming from a perpetually angry, drunken potato head but I thought I'd put it out there nonetheless.

I really like Arguello, and Sahadev is fine but the rest of those guys annoy me for some reason.

I get Arguello and Loxas mixed up, but I just think of them both as guys who pretend to have sources and probably don't.

And if anyone ever reeked of effort, it's Brett from Bleacher Nation.

I think this is commonly referred to as "the Dan Bernstein."

I sincerely admire and appreciate the work ethic that has to go into Bleacher Nation - it's hands down the best source for keeping up to date on all things Cub - but yeah it's too bad that product couldn't be churned out by someone who also has a good sense of humor.

None
of them have a sense of humor.  They all talk about the same thing-- the Cubs, their children/babies, and whatever craft beer they're drinking at the time.

It's like being trapped in a room with an even more insufferable PenFoe.

For what it's worth, I'm cool with both Brett and Arguello.  They're fine sources of information and that's really what I "use" them for.  I have other places to go for humor and I don't care if they're trying too hard or whatever the current bitch session is.   I don't stop reading CNN because I don't like their sense of humor, I stop reading because the news is old or irrelevant. 

As long as those guys are churning out news and perspective on the Cubs without getting butthurt every article, they're fine by me. 

Also, I don't give two shits whether they follow me on Twitter or not.  It's not like my Twitter (or any of ours) are vital sources of information, outside of maybe Slak's soccer one that I don't understand. 

They're just guys working hard to put out news and information about the Cubs and doing so in a way that is decidedly not Al-like. 

They're good by me. 

Great. You're a real fucking humanitarian.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015