News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cosmos  ( 2,392 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Cosmos
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:31:40 AM »
Shame on us for not mentioning this before.   The "pilot" was terrific.  Last night's show ("Comets") not so much.  It was more about the history of observing comets than about the science of comets.  Nevertheless, I found it engrossing.  Who knew that Haley never saw Haley's Comet?  Who knew who Haley was?  Certainly not this pre-law student. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cosmos
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 10:01:18 PM »
I didn't know he invented weather maps.

My only minor beef with the series is that it's pretty repetitive of the original, right down to a lot of the dialogue.

But I'm the only dork within 1,000 miles that would notice that.  it's terrific.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:29:30 AM »
My 11 and 9 year old granddaughters are enjoying this.  But I have to confess that last night's show about the speed of light was too fast for me.  (Heh-heh)  Seriously.  After telling us that we couldn't go faster than the speed of light, didn't he end up telling us that the universe was expanding faster than the speed of light? 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 10:28:08 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 31, 2014, 09:29:30 AM
After telling us that we couldn't go faster than the speed of light, didn't he end up telling us that the universe was expanding faster than the speed of light?

The speed of light refers to the maximum speed anything can travel through spacetime, while the expansion of the universe is the expansion of spacetime itself.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 11:36:35 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 31, 2014, 10:28:08 AM
Quote from: CBStew on March 31, 2014, 09:29:30 AM
After telling us that we couldn't go faster than the speed of light, didn't he end up telling us that the universe was expanding faster than the speed of light?

The speed of light refers to the maximum speed anything can travel through spacetime, while the expansion of the universe is the expansion of spacetime itself.

Of course.  Why didn't I see that before?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 01:00:12 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 24, 2014, 09:31:40 AM
Shame on us for not mentioning this before.   The "pilot" was terrific.

The fact that (on top of the Bruno silliness and the jaw-dropper of claiming that the Moon formed by planetesimal accretion) Tyson thinks "we have excellent theoretical and philosophical reasons to think we live in a multiverse" does not bode well.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 01:42:22 PM »
It ended fine. In between it was good, not great. Something was missing.  I think it was the personal Sagan stuff. Like him in a diner in Brooklyn and in his old classroom.  And him playing with shapes on a desk to denote multi-dimensional space.

But I just blame Brannon Braga.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 08:26:51 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 10, 2014, 01:42:22 PM
It ended fine. In between it was good, not great. Something was missing.  I think it was the personal Sagan stuff. Like him in a diner in Brooklyn and in his old classroom.  And him playing with shapes on a desk to denote multi-dimensional space.

What did you think of the cartoonish animation of historical events?  I thought that it was not very well done and off-putting.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 09:43:07 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 10, 2014, 08:26:51 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 10, 2014, 01:42:22 PM

What did you think of the cartoonish animation of historical events?  I thought that it was not very well done and off-putting.

Kids liked it. And they've seen bits of the original where the show actors deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphs.  I wasn't a fan, but I understood why they did it.