News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2017 Postseason (That Means All Teams Besides the Cubs if You’re An Optoat)  ( 9,056 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on November 02, 2017, 07:59:20 AM
Quote from: Tonker on November 02, 2017, 12:49:12 AM
HA HA HA - fuck the Dodgers forever.  I hope the Yankees of the NL never win another World Series.

I mean, I would kind of like the Cubs to be the Yankees of the NL. If the Cubs start spending 200 million a year to keep this run going/tack on more titles would you think that makes them bad in some way?

It makes them hatable by pretty much every other fanbase in the NL, but apparently we are already on that track regardless, so... ::shrug::
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Canadouche on November 02, 2017, 08:16:00 AM
HA HA HA - fuck the Dodgers forever.  I hope the Yankees of the NL never win another World Series.

I mean, I would kind of like the Cubs to be the Yankees of the NL. If the Cubs start spending 200 million a year to keep this run going/tack on more titles would you think that makes them bad in some way?

It makes them hatable by pretty much every other fanbase in the NL, but apparently we are already on that track regardless, so... ::shrug::

I mean I get it, I also hated the Yankees when I was a kid but when I grew up and looked at the economics of the sport...between their personal fortunes and the revenue sharing the sport has just about every owner should be racking up payrolls north of 150 million and trying to win. I'm not going to fault LA/NY for having owners that do. I'm just glad the Cubs are in the same group now. Bud Selig's "what about the poor widdle small market teams" rhetoric of the 90s was just cover to get the fans behind an anti-labor approach that would save cheapskates like Reinsdorf from having to actually pay players to compete.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on November 02, 2017, 08:29:46 AM
HA HA HA - fuck the Dodgers forever.  I hope the Yankees of the NL never win another World Series.

I mean I get it, I also hated the Yankees when I was a kid but when I grew up and looked at the economics of the sport...between their personal fortunes and the revenue sharing the sport has just about every owner should be racking up payrolls north of 150 million and trying to win. I'm not going to fault LA/NY for having owners that do. I'm just glad the Cubs are in the same group now. Bud Selig's "what about the poor widdle small market teams" rhetoric of the 90s was just cover to get the fans behind an anti-labor approach that would save cheapskates like Reinsdorf from having to actually pay players to compete.

I liked the Yankees in 1977. I ate a few Reggie bars. They became hatable in about 1979.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 02, 2017, 08:50:31 AM

I liked the Yankees in 1977. I ate a few Reggie bars. They became hatable in about 1979.

Yeah the only issue I have with the Yankees is their level of success. I hated the Giants after 3 WS, too. I don't hate them for how much money they spent to get those rings. Everyone should do that.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on November 02, 2017, 08:56:06 AM

Yeah the only issue I have with the Yankees is their level of success. I hated the Giants after 3 WS, too. I don't hate them for how much money they spent to get those rings. Everyone should do that.

Try living in a city full of Yankee fans...you know how BFIB think Yadi is a first ballot HOFer? Yankee fans are like that with everyone.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 02, 2017, 08:57:30 AM

Try living in a city full of Yankee fans...you know how BFIB think Yadi is a first ballot HOFer? Yankee fans are like that with everyone.

Oh the fans are not the issue here, Yankees fans truly suck.

Honestly I'm not even disputing that the Yankees are hateable. I hate the Yankees, but I really owe that more to all of the massive amounts of success they have had in my lifetime, not because they spend money to get there. Like I said, the Giants and Cardinals were never the highest payroll teams but their repeated success also made them hateable. I guess I was just wondering what, in Tonk's definition, made the Dodgers the "NL Yankees" other than money, because it's certainly not recent success. If you hate them just for having a big payroll that's dumb.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on November 02, 2017, 09:15:28 AM

Honestly I'm not even disputing that the Yankees are hateable. I hate the Yankees, but I really owe that more to all of the massive amounts of success they have had in my lifetime, not because they spend money to get there. Like I said, the Giants and Cardinals were never the highest payroll teams but their repeated success also made them hateable. I guess I was just wondering what, in Tonk's definition, made the Dodgers the "NL Yankees" other than money, because it's certainly not recent success. If you hate them just for having a big payroll that's dumb.

I think it's actually the fans that will make the Cubs particularly hatable, mixed with (I hope) a prolonged period of success. You can have dickbag fans, everyone's got those, but they are easy to ignore if their team sucks. But when any team enjoys a long period of success, those fans get louder and louder, and that's what really causes fans of other teams to hate your team. We could argue that the Cubs have more "high level" fans than the majority of mouth-breathers who make up the Cardinals fanbase, for example, but there will be just as many - if not moreso - entitled, mouth-breathing Cub fans in the coming years, and the hate will pile on.

I'm totally ok with that.
M'lady.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Canadouche on November 02, 2017, 09:23:25 AM
Quote from: SKO on November 02, 2017, 09:15:28 AM

I think it's actually the fans that will make the Cubs particularly hatable, mixed with (I hope) a prolonged period of success. You can have dickbag fans, everyone's got those, but they are easy to ignore if their team sucks. But when any team enjoys a long period of success, those fans get louder and louder, and that's what really causes fans of other teams to hate your team. We could argue that the Cubs have more "high level" fans than the majority of mouth-breathers who make up the Cardinals fanbase, for example, but there will be just as many - if not moreso - entitled, mouth-breathing Cub fans in the coming years, and the hate will pile on.

I'm totally ok with that.

**the High Level Cubs Fan has logged on**
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
Justin Upton staying with the Angels.

And holy shit Pujols had an awful year.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: D. Doluntap on November 02, 2017, 01:22:30 PM

He had a 3.6 WAR in his first year away from the St. Louis genetics lab, and that was his best season in the AL.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 02, 2017, 02:14:59 PM

He had a 3.6 WAR in his first year away from the St. Louis genetics lab, and that was his best season in the AL.

I mean without accusing the man of using steroids in STL he also turned 31 when he signed that contract and sluggers tend to decline right around that point anyway.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on November 02, 2017, 02:21:02 PM

I mean without accusing the man of using steroids in STL he also turned 31 when he signed that contract and sluggers tend to decline right around that point anyway.

HGH. It was as prevalent as St. Paul Sandwiches in Saint Loo.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 02, 2017, 03:29:39 PM

You root for a team that employed Sammy Sosa, Glenallen Hill, and Gary Matthews Jr, among others. Lobbing steroid insults at other fanbases is dumb. Everyone did it. The Cardinals just had better players to pump them with. Pujols has sucked since he left STL because he got old right at the same time that fastball velocities ticked up and strike zones widened. Roids have little if anything to do with it even if he was on them. Testing was implemented before 2011 anyway.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on November 02, 2017, 03:41:29 PM

You root for a team that employed Sammy Sosa, Glenallen Hill, and Gary Matthews Jr, among others. Lobbing steroid insults at other fanbases is dumb. Everyone did it. The Cardinals just had better players to pump them with. Pujols has sucked since he left STL because he got old right at the same time that fastball velocities ticked up and strike zones widened. Roids have little if anything to do with it even if he was on them. Testing was implemented before 2011 anyway.

I don't think that's an insult. It's an explanation.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on November 02, 2017, 03:41:29 PM

HGH testing wasn't implemented until he left STL.

You forgot Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, Kyle Farnsworth...
TIME TO POST!