News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Thread  ( 472,289 )

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on January 14, 2009, 08:09:48 AM
Quote from: ~Apex on January 14, 2009, 08:03:31 AM
Quote from: Fork on January 14, 2009, 07:57:17 AM
Quote from: ~Apex on January 14, 2009, 07:35:25 AM
Precisely the reactions I thought I'd garner. I could set my watch to this shit. And wear it on my belt.

Hitchens compared GWB to Jefferson. I'm not even sure Bush even read the Declaration of Independence.

and, I've never said we don't have our douchebags too. Just Hitchens is one of the worst. It would be tantamount to me quoting Olbermann, which I've never done.

I disagree that he's either as illiterate as Olbermann, that being a drunk is a bad thing or that he compared Bush to the Declaration of Independence. Hitchens was in favor of overthrowing Saddam for all the right reasons. He criticized Bush's handling of the war all the way along, though he still supported the continued occupation of Iraq in the interest of promoting Democracy there. As did I. And I also drink a lot.

What were
the "right reasons", and how were the reasons any more "right" than a good half-dozen other dictators in the world, who had the good fortune of not sitting on top of a huge oil reserve?

Answered.

Far worse things are going on in Darfur than in Iraq.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
The concept of "spreading democracy" is Bob Babich-retarded.

That said, I have no problem with Chris Hitchens.  I know many Democrats that also supported the war at the beginning.  I'm not about to discredit them for one mistake.  Hitchens also supported Obama prior to the election.
FIRE EVERYBODY!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Mike Douche on January 14, 2009, 10:25:34 AM

That said, I have no problem with Chris Hitchens.  I know many Democrats that also supported the war at the beginning.  I'm not about to discredit them for one mistake.  Hitchens also supported Obama prior to the election.

Hitchens is a jackass who knew McCain was a loser...hell, a numbnuts like me was able to not only call the Presidential race but also the GOP's fight to keep filibuster a year ago.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Hitchens compared GWB to Jefferson. I'm not even sure Bush even read the Declaration of Independence.

I bet he has.
Hire Jim Essian!

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Kermit, B. on January 14, 2009, 10:34:11 AM

I bet he has.

It's a sucker bet.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club

It's not about whether Hitch supported the war or didn't, Mike. It's about his attitude towards those he disagrees with. Granted, he's a polemicist by trade and disposition, so I guess we should expect a certain amount of provocativeness. At the same time, he's also simply an asshole with an unearned sense of self-righteousness.

He's a pretty decent (and prolific) writer, though.

And he's willing to admit when he's changed his opinion on something.

You'd think, though, that publicly declaring that you were wrong about something might make one a touch more humble in one's opinions going forward. Instead, it just seems to reinforce his self-righteous assholery. That is how it often seems goes with one-time Communists, though.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on January 14, 2009, 08:09:48 AM
Precisely the reactions I thought I'd garner. I could set my watch to this shit. And wear it on my belt.

and, I've never said we don't have our douchebags too. Just Hitchens is one of the worst. It would be tantamount to me quoting Olbermann, which I've never done.

I disagree that he's either as illiterate as Olbermann, that being a drunk is a bad thing or that he compared Bush to the Declaration of Independence. Hitchens was in favor of overthrowing Saddam for all the right reasons. He criticized Bush's handling of the war all the way along, though he still supported the continued occupation of Iraq in the interest of promoting Democracy there. As did I. And I also drink a lot.

What were the "right reasons", and how were the reasons any more "right" than a good half-dozen other dictators in the world, who had the good fortune of not sitting on top of a huge oil reserve?

Please don't discount the factor of showing up his daddy.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Tank on January 14, 2009, 10:55:21 AM

It's not about whether Hitch supported the war or didn't, Mike. It's about his attitude towards those he disagrees with. Granted, he's a polemicist by trade and disposition, so I guess we should expect a certain amount of provocativeness. At the same time, he's also simply an asshole with an unearned sense of self-righteousness.

You'd think, though, that publicly declaring that you were wrong about something might make one a touch more humble in one's opinions going forward. Instead, it just seems to reinforce his self-righteous assholery. That is how it often seems goes with one-time Communists, though.

Every time I agree with Hitchens a little part of me dies inside. He is a pompous ass.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Jon on January 14, 2009, 06:49:53 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 14, 2009, 10:55:21 AM

Every time I agree with Hitchens a little part of me dies inside. He is a pompous ass.

Every time I agree with Hitchens, he finds a way to lose me again before he's through.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club

"Promoting Democracy" in Iraq was a stupid reason to go in there, based upon the ridiculously simplistic "Roots of Muslim Rage" concept espoused by Bernard Lewis.  Choosing Iraq as the state to jumpstart democracy, while having nothing to do with oil (hell, we get 80% of our oil from North and South America), was still a bad idea, given the relative threat Hussein posed to the United States.  Furthermore, as expected, the invasion opened up the Al Qaeda terrorist network to a whole lot of people displaced by the war.  Much like the way Operation Ajax helped push people towards Khomeini in Iran, the more the U.S. overtly meddles in the Middle East, the more moderate Muslims move towards Wahabbism. 

This isn't Monday morning quarterbacking, either.  A whole lot of people were saying this in 2003.  And yet the Cold Warriors in the Bush administration decided to view the Middle East in the same way they viewed Communism (it isn't surprising, given their prominence in Cold War era administrations).  Democracy can never be heaped upon any country in the Middle East-it needs to at least appear to come about organically. 

Now that we've done the fucktard thing and invaded the damn place, it would be even dumber to advocate for a complete pullout of Iraq.  However, this war has not only worsened our relationship with even moderates in the Middle East, it has also hamstrung our military and we cannot effectively engage actual threats like Iran.  It was a bad idea, regardless of any kind of vague notion of "promoting democracy." 

And as far as Christopher Hitchens goes, I love the fact that the only way Hilary Clinton could have possibly learned about foreign affairs is through her husband.   She should have known her place and stayed in the kitchen, huh Chris? 

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Don't forget Bush's farewell speech is tonight.

You're welcome, America.*

*also the partial title of Will Ferrell's upcoming Broadway show.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on January 15, 2009, 07:55:20 AM
Don't forget Bush's farewell speech is tonight.

You're welcome, America.*

*also the partial title of Will Ferrell's upcoming Broadway show.

Why couldn't it have been last night, when there was a hockey game on?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: ChuckD on January 18, 2009, 10:46:37 AM
The Economist: Assessing the Bush Years

[/presidency]

They had me at "army of over-promoted, ideologically vetted homunculi."

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Tank on January 18, 2009, 01:01:03 PM
"army of over-promoted, ideologically vetted homunculi."

Quite a coup for the Economist to get the late Bill Hicks to write that article.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche