News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Thread  ( 472,292 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Th
« Reply #675 on: February 16, 2009, 07:06:27 PM »
Quote from: Tank on February 16, 2009, 06:50:07 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on February 16, 2009, 06:37:20 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 16, 2009, 05:56:49 PM
I choose to believe in a god, but not necessarily The God.

What sort?

The most delicious kind there is...

WHY MUST YOU MOCK ME OH LORD?!?

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
You know what? Fuck it. It doesn't really matter anyway. If people want this country to turn into a place where if anybody gets offended or by any little thing then IT MUST CHANGE, then fuck it. There's nothing I can do to change it. I guess that must be the course that this country and world is taking: appease everybody; offend no one. Obviously, I would hope some people might think that's impossible to do, but what the hell? Shoot for it anyway, I guess. There is no point to this. If people can't handle shit, then fuck; that's the way it's going to have to be. I've always thought the whole notion of being "offended" was a load of shit anyway. I always found it to be a cop out for anything someone doesn't like. Oh well, I guess that's where we are headed. I'll prepare for the ride.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Th
« Reply #677 on: February 16, 2009, 07:16:02 PM »
Quote from: CT III on February 16, 2009, 07:06:27 PM

What sort?

Sometimes I think God is teasing me, just like he teased Moses in the desert.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #678 on: February 16, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 16, 2009, 07:03:21 PM

What sort?

I was inspired by his noodly appendage.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #679 on: February 16, 2009, 07:36:43 PM »
Quote from: Tank on February 16, 2009, 07:16:02 PM
Quote from: CT III on February 16, 2009, 07:06:27 PM

What sort?

Sometimes I think God is teasing me, just like he teased Moses in the desert.

Sacrelicious.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #680 on: February 16, 2009, 07:47:33 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 16, 2009, 07:14:30 PM
You know what? Fuck it. It doesn't really matter anyway. If people want this country to turn into a place where if anybody gets offended or by any little thing then IT MUST CHANGE, then fuck it. There's nothing I can do to change it. I guess that must be the course that this country and world is taking: appease everybody; offend no one. Obviously, I would hope some people might think that's impossible to do, but what the hell? Shoot for it anyway, I guess. There is no point to this. If people can't handle shit, then fuck; that's the way it's going to have to be. I've always thought the whole notion of being "offended" was a load of shit anyway. I always found it to be a cop out for anything someone doesn't like. Oh well, I guess that's where we are headed. I'll prepare for the ride.
Yeah, it's always about freedom from government interference until religion is involved. Then, the authoritarian impulse rears its ugly head. You do see how hypocritical that is, right?

And who's getting offended now? I think you're offended by the notion of coming from damn, dirty ape.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #681 on: February 16, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »
Quote from: Jon on February 16, 2009, 07:47:33 PM
Yeah, it's always about freedom from government interference until religion is involved. Then, the authoritarian impulse rears its ugly head. You do see how hypocritical that is, right?

And who's getting offended now? I think you're offended by the notion of coming from damn, dirty ape.

I really don't want the government interfering with my religion, nor your religion (lack thereof). I just don't think the things that are already in place *that* bad. Maybe in retrospect, Jindal isn't doing quite the right thing. But at the same time, there isn't a law mandating a certain religion or prohibiting a certain one. Regardless, I don't want a religious state. Hell, no. However, is "In God We Trust" really that bad. Yes, it doesn't need to be there but seriously, is it killing anyone? That being said, if someone wants to remove it from money, that's fine too. I think you are missing the point that while I don't mind religious references filtered in the government, I acknowledge that they don't *need* to be there. But, alas, I will be penned as the guy who wants religion in the government and wants the religious right to get their way. Oh, well. There are worse things out there.

Also, I'm not offended by the notion of coming from an ape. I'm a hairy white ass dude (or a yeti). If anything, I still am an ape and I'm okay with myself.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #682 on: February 16, 2009, 08:56:03 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on February 16, 2009, 08:46:11 PM
Maybe in retrospect, Jindal isn't doing quite the right thing.
Ironically, whatever he is doing/has done/will do, he's doing his constituents a disservice by doing it.  What religion cannot offer that science can is economic growth.  One of the reasons we are able to have these moronic debates is that we have computers on our desks.  A big reason we have such powerful, yet small computers, is the miniaturization development that the space program fostered.  Now, where would we be if Galileo had not only been silenced, but his work actually destroyed?  I mean, it only took 1,500 years to rediscover what was burned in the name of religion at Alexandria.

Yes, there's a debate to be had about religion and the ethics of stem cell research.  But only one side of that debate can lead to progress.  And the fact is anything we don't discover here will be discovered somewhere else.  It's hard to support a government that would actually divert scarce education time away from ideas that could advance society in favor of the study of mythos as a replacement topic.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #683 on: February 16, 2009, 09:31:25 PM »
Quote from: Jon on February 16, 2009, 07:47:33 PM

I really don't want the government interfering with my religion, nor your religion (lack thereof). I just don't think the things that are already in place *that* bad. Maybe in retrospect, Jindal isn't doing quite the right thing. But at the same time, there isn't a law mandating a certain religion or prohibiting a certain one. Regardless, I don't want a religious state. Hell, no. However, is "In God We Trust" really that bad. Yes, it doesn't need to be there but seriously, is it killing anyone? That being said, if someone wants to remove it from money, that's fine too. I think you are missing the point that while I don't mind religious references filtered in the government, I acknowledge that they don't *need* to be there. But, alas, I will be penned as the guy who wants religion in the government and wants the religious right to get their way. Oh, well. There are worse things out there.

Also, I'm not offended by the notion of coming from an ape. I'm a hairy white ass dude (or a yeti). If anything, I still am an ape and I'm okay with myself.

Yes, it is that bad. I don't proselytize my atheism (much). And I expect the favor to be returned.

I guarantee you, if the pledge of allegiance said "one nation, with no need of a god to explain the universe" or if money read "In god we doubt," Theists would be pretty damn pissed.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #684 on: February 16, 2009, 09:59:33 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 16, 2009, 08:56:03 PM
A big reason we have such powerful, yet small computers, is the miniaturization development that the space program fostered.

I call speciousness.  The "space program" generally lags technological advances, often for good reason.  A far greater reason we have such powerful, yet small, computers is The Phone Company.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #685 on: February 16, 2009, 10:37:54 PM »
Maybe in retrospect, Jindal isn't doing quite the right thing. But at the same time, there isn't a law mandating a certain religion or prohibiting a certain one.

No, but this law may well serve to help flush an already fucked public school system further down the shitter.

Can you really not see the difference between: (a) the questions of whether we have "In God We Trust" on our currency or whether Thomas Jefferson personally chose to attend church at one point in his often contradictory life, and (b) a state government, at the urging of a group promoting religious education in public schools, changing their education standards to endorse the compulsory study of explicitly religious non-science as science in science classrooms?

Hell, even the Catholic Church (to which 30% of Louisianans belong, including their governor) all but officially accepts the scientific validity of the theory of evolution, and is generally, if not officially, of the opinion that "intelligent design" (which "isn't science even though it pretends to be") ought to be kept out of science classrooms.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

GNM

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
The "In God We Trust" debate from the Christian right always slays me.  As I recall, the Bible recounts a story where the Pharisees showed Jesus a coin with Caesar's picture on it, and asked something to the effect of "If you're so powerful, why isn't your picture on the coin," to which Jesus responds "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to the Lord what is the Lord's."

The Christian right: convinced that they are smarter than Christ.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #687 on: February 17, 2009, 07:50:07 AM »
I really don't want the government interfering with my religion, nor your religion (lack thereof).

I stopped reading right here.  That about sums it up.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #688 on: February 17, 2009, 08:43:34 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 17, 2009, 07:50:07 AM
I really don't want the government interfering with my religion, nor your religion (lack thereof).

I stopped reading right here.  That about sums it up.

Fuck my life.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #689 on: February 17, 2009, 08:52:17 AM »
Quote from: Tank on February 16, 2009, 10:37:54 PM
Maybe in retrospect, Jindal isn't doing quite the right thing. But at the same time, there isn't a law mandating a certain religion or prohibiting a certain one.

No, but this law may well serve to help flush an already fucked public school system further down the shitter.

Can you really not see the difference between: (a) the questions of whether we have "In God We Trust" on our currency or whether Thomas Jefferson personally chose to attend church at one point in his often contradictory life, and (b) a state government, at the urging of a group promoting religious education in public schools, changing their education standards to endorse the compulsory study of explicitly religious non-science as science in science classrooms?

Hell, even the Catholic Church (to which 30% of Louisianans belong, including their governor) all but officially accepts the scientific validity of the theory of evolution, and is generally, if not officially, of the opinion that "intelligent design" (which "isn't science even though it pretends to be") ought to be kept out of science classrooms.

Upon reading that, the Church's opinion is essentially, God created evolution.  Perfect.