News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Thread  ( 472,291 )

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
Re: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Th
« Reply #750 on: February 17, 2009, 07:21:16 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on February 17, 2009, 06:52:52 PM
You know who this conversation is perfect for?

Paul.

Where's Paul when you need him?

Banging sluts...

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
Re: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Th
« Reply #751 on: February 17, 2009, 07:21:41 PM »
Quote from: Tank on February 17, 2009, 06:58:49 PM
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on February 17, 2009, 05:40:24 PM
To address the issue of transubstantiation, Catholics believe in the distinction between the substance of a thing, in this case the essence of the bread and wine, and the accidents of the bread and wine, which would be the texture, taste, smell, etc.  The accidents are not changed at all during the Eucharist, merely the substance of the bread and wine.

And even this can be confusing if you don't understand that "substance" does not refer to the same concept as our colloquial use of the word (which I think would be more akin to "matter").

"Substance" as used here comes from the Latin "substantia," which was the Latin translation of the Greek "ousia," which is actually equivalent to the English "being"—but even that is imprecise—and which is also related to the Latin concept of "essence."

Even if the original Christian concept of "substance" didn't hew exactly to Aristotle's idea of it, it came around to it later under the influence of the Scholastics. Regardless, like most philosophical terms of art the concept is tricky enough one to get your mind around. (Just look at the length of this article.)

Incidentally, and not directly related (as far as I'm aware) to the theology of transubstantiation, the confusion caused by the semantic shift in the translation of the Greek ousia into the Latin substantia may have added considerably to the Arian heresy in the Early Church, which resulted in the formalization of Trinitarian Christology in the Nicene Creed and which hinged on the distinction between homoousia and homoiousia—the notorious "one iota" of difference.

This.

I'm kidding. I have no idea what the hell is going on.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #752 on: February 17, 2009, 08:13:17 PM »
Quote from: butthead on February 17, 2009, 07:21:41 PM
To address the issue of transubstantiation, Catholics believe in the distinction between the substance of a thing, in this case the essence of the bread and wine, and the accidents of the bread and wine, which would be the texture, taste, smell, etc.  The accidents are not changed at all during the Eucharist, merely the substance of the bread and wine.

And even this can be confusing if you don't understand that "substance" does not refer to the same concept as our colloquial use of the word (which I think would be more akin to "matter").

"Substance" as used here comes from the Latin "substantia," which was the Latin translation of the Greek "ousia," which is actually equivalent to the English "being"—but even that is imprecise—and which is also related to the Latin concept of "essence."

Even if the original Christian concept of "substance" didn't hew exactly to Aristotle's idea of it, it came around to it later under the influence of the Scholastics. Regardless, like most philosophical terms of art the concept is tricky enough one to get your mind around. (Just look at the length of this article.)

Incidentally, and not directly related (as far as I'm aware) to the theology of transubstantiation, the confusion caused by the semantic shift in the translation of the Greek ousia into the Latin substantia may have added considerably to the Arian heresy in the Early Church, which resulted in the formalization of Trinitarian Christology in the Nicene Creed and which hinged on the distinction between homoousia and homoiousia—the notorious "one iota" of difference.

This.

Tank is just trying for extra credit now.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #754 on: February 17, 2009, 11:17:25 PM »
Quote from: Jon on February 17, 2009, 08:13:17 PM
Quote from: butthead on February 17, 2009, 07:21:41 PM

This.

Tank is just trying for extra credit now.

EG's breathing down my neck, man.

Gotta do whatever it takes to stay a step ahead.

Now I'm just waiting for Wheezer to show up and correct my etymology.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on February 18, 2009, 09:21:46 AM
OK. Time to stop arguing about religion and science, and instead build yourself your own BAILOUT!

Quotewireless and broadband deployment grant programs

(including transfer of funds to CT for the CT Personal Economic Stimulus Program)

For necessary and unnecessary expenses related to the Wireless and Broadband Deployment Grant Programs established by section 6002 of division B of this Act, $2,825,000,000, of which $1,000,000,000 shall be for Wireless Deployment Grants and $1,825,000,000 shall be for Broadband Deployment Grants: Provided, That an additional $1,000,000,000 shall be paid directly to CT in the form of subsidized loans that do not require repayment. Provided Further, That the funds be used by CT to Dry out him basement or for whatever. Provided Even Further, That CT will receive free Cubs tickets for life. Provided Even Further Still, That CT shall be treated as a cabinet-level appointment for the purpose of income tax reporting, and therefore no taxes shall be paid on any of the aformentioned benefits. And one more thing: Jim Oberweiss is hereby expelled from Congress, effective immediately upon enactment.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on February 18, 2009, 10:22:16 AM
OK. Time to stop arguing about religion and science, and instead build yourself your own BAILOUT!

(including transfer of funds to CT for the CT Personal Economic Stimulus Program)

For necessary and unnecessary expenses related to the Wireless and Broadband Deployment Grant Programs established by section 6002 of division B of this Act, $2,825,000,000, of which $1,000,000,000 shall be for Wireless Deployment Grants and $1,825,000,000 shall be for Broadband Deployment Grants: Provided, That an additional $1,000,000,000 shall be paid directly to CT in the form of subsidized loans that do not require repayment. Provided Further, That the funds be used by CT to Dry out him basement or for whatever. Provided Even Further, That CT will receive free Cubs tickets for life. Provided Even Further Still, That CT shall be treated as a cabinet-level appointment for the purpose of income tax reporting, and therefore no taxes shall be paid on any of the aformentioned benefits. And one more thing: Jim Oberweiss is hereby expelled from Congress, effective immediately upon enactment.

For Jim Oberweis to be expelled, he would first need to enter Congress, a feat which, as of this printing, has thus far eluded him.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on February 18, 2009, 10:23:36 AM

For Jim Oberweis to be expelled, he would first need to enter Congress, a feat which, as of this printing, has thus far eluded him.

It was a preemptive expulsion.  Just in case.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
So, North Dakota appears willing to equate a fertilized egg with a full-grown adult for the purposes of defining life.  http://www.kxmc.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=333726

Also, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal says he doesn't want your stinking stimulus money.  http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/02/17/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry4807323.shtml?CMP=OTC-RSSFeed&source=RSS&attr=PoliticalHotsheet_4807323

And finally, some fodder for all those preparing a 2012 GOP run against Obama: http://politicalwire.com/archives/2009/02/17/obamas_tax_cut.html

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on February 18, 2009, 10:25:02 AM
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on February 18, 2009, 10:23:36 AM

It was a preemptive expulsion.  Just in case.

Jebus Christ, if this is anyone other than the original Alfalfa, you stole my bit. 

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Jon on February 17, 2009, 04:07:31 PM
I disagree with your definition of "random." Evolution is heavily directed and constrained by myriad events that are not very predictable, but "random" has a meaning and implication that leads one to logical fallacies if it is used to describe Natural Selection. Random implies that anything can happen and nothing is predictable. But, as is, since the changes in speciation are very, very incremental, there are really only a few places each offspring can go in change at a generational level. Random is just not the right word.

I think that we're having a micro/macro disagreement--if you look at the way any one species has evolved, sure, there is a range of possible adaptations and ways the species can evolve.  It's not perfectly random (e.g. equal probabilities) whether we'll grow a superflous third nipple ala Krusty or sprout wings or develop a better immune system.

But how our immune system may grow stronger is "random" in the sense that we don't have control over to what it's exposed.  Say some weather phenomenon seriously alters an ecosystem...you're going to get a different evolution within that system as a result.

Random and weighted probabilities are consistent--but random is a perfectly good proxy for "influenced by uncontrollable phenomena."  The key element of random is "chance," not "equal chance."  I haven't heard a scientist claim that any evolution was guaranteed and not ultimately subject to some degree of chance (and hence, randomness).
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
"Random" question for everybody ... mathematically, how big is the universe?
M'lady.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Canadouche on February 18, 2009, 02:05:07 PM
"Random" question for everybody ... mathematically, how big is the universe?

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
OK, what's the over/under on the universe?
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.