News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Thread  ( 472,276 )

MikeC

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on June 09, 2009, 03:30:41 PM
Quote from: Fork on June 09, 2009, 03:16:51 PM
Did it ever occur to you that your graph illustrates just how fucked up the previous Administration left the country, that even more drastic measures need to be taken to try and reverse the damage?

I saw your post, then saw MikeC was online.  I became hopeful that maybe he'd reply to your post, so I did a quick check of how he responded:

Perfect.

Having message board problems on my end.

I did see the post and was about to comment but it wouldn't let me as for the statement....

I don't know how much longer Obama can keep blaming Bush for everything, which is where you clearly got your comment from. I heard the drivel coming out of the White House about how their prediction was thrown off by uncovering even worse economic conditions "inherited from Bush."

You know what wasn't inherited? Those bitter pissed off journalists who would go as far as to invent news out of thin air to discredit Bush but let Obama continue to talk about "saved or created" x amount of jobs. Man, could you imagine if the Bush Administration was peddling the "saved" jobs line? .

Maybe Obama will accept responsibility for something in 3 years? 4? 8? I don't know, but blaming everything that doesn't go Obama's way on Bush is already growing old to the American pubic. Obama's worst problem is himself right now, he made a bunch of promises on the economy and they are not panning out. He also made a bunch of promises all over the political spectrum that he isn't keeping. How many times did he go on prime time television to say we need to pass the stimulus now to avoid all these horrific scenarios? It sure wasn't Bush, it was Obama and his promises are ringing pretty hollow now.
Hail Neifi, full of hacks, thy glove is with thee

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: MikeC on June 09, 2009, 04:43:34 PM
Did it ever occur to you that your graph illustrates just how fucked up the previous Administration left the country, that even more drastic measures need to be taken to try and reverse the damage?

I saw your post, then saw MikeC was online.  I became hopeful that maybe he'd reply to your post, so I did a quick check of how he responded:

Perfect.

Having message board problems on my end.

I did see the post and was about to comment but it wouldn't let me as for the statement....

I don't know how much longer Obama can keep blaming Bush for everything, which is where you clearly got your comment from. I heard the drivel coming out of the White House about how their prediction was thrown off by uncovering even worse economic conditions "inherited from Bush."

You know what wasn't inherited? Those bitter pissed off journalists who would go as far as to invent news out of thin air to discredit Bush but let Obama continue to talk about "saved or created" x amount of jobs. Man, could you imagine if the Bush Administration was peddling the "saved" jobs line? .

Maybe Obama will accept responsibility for something in 3 years? 4? 8? I don't know, but blaming everything that doesn't go Obama's way on Bush is already growing old to the American pubic. Obama's worst problem is himself right now, he made a bunch of promises on the economy and they are not panning out. He also made a bunch of promises all over the political spectrum that he isn't keeping. How many times did he go on prime time television to say we need to pass the stimulus now to avoid all these horrific scenarios? It sure wasn't Bush, it was Obama and his promises are ringing pretty hollow now.

All the journalists are new?
I don't think that means what you thought it meant.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club

Perfect.

You should ask ChuckD about the time he saw MikeC using the spellchecker.

Many brains knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Shoutbox that day, I can tell you.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tank on June 09, 2009, 04:55:45 PM
You should ask ChuckD about the time he saw MikeC using the spellchecker.

Many brains knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Shoutbox that day, I can tell you.

Well, as we all know, spell check isn't always perfect.

... already growing old to the American pubic.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Obama's been in office for just under 5 months, but the economic mess is obviously his fault. 

Would I also be correct in assuming that when Bush was in office for just under 8 months, 9/11 was Clinton's fault?

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on June 09, 2009, 06:04:32 PM

Obama's been in office for just under 5 months, but the economic mess is obviously his fault. 

Would I also be correct in assuming that when Bush was in office for just under 8 months, 9/11 was Clinton's fault?

While the unemployment rate bumped up 0.2%, the nonfarm payrolls only lost about 300K last month ,better than expected.  There are signs that at least the economy's descent is slowing, although MikeC does have a grain of truth in there - I think his criticism of the "saved or created" language is exactly right.  How in the world the press corps continues to let that statement be made without any challenge at all escapes me.  How does one know how many jobs were "saved"?  Versus what baseline?

If you're going to try to judge the effects of Obamanomics it's too soon.  Labor markets tend to lag the general economy, so I'd expect to see the unemployment rate turn well after the economy has turned.  It makes sense intuitively - companies don't hire until they have noticeably higher demand for their products.  In my opinion it is still too soon to judge what effects the stimulus package may have.  In either direction.  Let's see how it plays out.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: morpheus on June 09, 2009, 07:02:13 PM

While the unemployment rate bumped up 0.2%, the nonfarm payrolls only lost about 300K last month ,better than expected.  There are signs that at least the economy's descent is slowing, although MikeC does have a grain of truth in there - I think his criticism of the "saved or created" language is exactly right.  How in the world the press corps continues to let that statement be made without any challenge at all escapes me.  How does one know how many jobs were "saved"?  Versus what baseline?

If you're going to try to judge the effects of Obamanomics it's too soon.  Labor markets tend to lag the general economy, so I'd expect to see the unemployment rate turn well after the economy has turned.  It makes sense intuitively - companies don't hire until they have noticeably higher demand for their products.  In my opinion it is still too soon to judge what effects the stimulus package may have.  In either direction.  Let's see how it plays out.

All of this.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

All presidents get away with statements like that all the time from a timid press.

Furthermore, with banks lending fewer dollars, companies are going to need to retain profits to replace the lost lent capital with retained earnings.  This means that profits will not be spent on new employees until a new equilibrium between debt and equity is reached on company balance sheets.

Don't expect hiring to improve for at least another 12 months.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

But the bottom line that our friend with the awesome avatar fails to grasp is that the economy, or anything else involving politics, doesn't start or stop on a dime.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 09, 2009, 07:29:14 PM

All presidents get away with statements like that all the time from a timid press.

Furthermore, with banks lending fewer dollars, companies are going to need to retain profits to replace the lost lent capital with retained earnings.  This means that profits will not be spent on new employees until a new equilibrium between debt and equity is reached on company balance sheets.

Don't expect hiring to improve for at least another 12 months.

Bingo bongo.  Companies are trying to get back investors at this point.  It's still a cost cutting game at this point to show something in the black, see how long you can run the ship on a skeleton crew and then when you anticipate a true increase in demand, starting bringing in new bodies. 

Things will improve over the course of the next 4-6... years.  Of course, we'll know the true effects of all the stimulus packages then...  and I am increasingly worried about inflation right now.  It is a very real problem, and much like the mess of social security, it will one day come calling.  I would be interested to see how we are going to confront that one.  Has the Obama team touched on how they plan to deal with this yet?

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: powen01 on June 09, 2009, 07:45:30 PM
Bingo bongo.  Companies are trying to get back investors at this point.  It's still a cost cutting game at this point to show something in the black, see how long you can run the ship on a skeleton crew and then when you anticipate a true increase in demand, starting bringing in new bodies. 

Things will improve over the course of the next 4-6... years.  Of course, we'll know the true effects of all the stimulus packages then...  and I am increasingly worried about inflation right now.  It is a very real problem, and much like the mess of social security, it will one day come calling.  I would be interested to see how we are going to confront that one.  Has the Obama team touched on how they plan to deal with this yet?

If, like the mess of Social Security, inflation takes 35-70 years to "come calling" (if it ever does)...

You know what? Nevermind. I gotta go get dinner.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Tank on June 09, 2009, 07:52:05 PM

If, like the mess of Social Security, inflation takes 35-70 years to "come calling" (if it ever does)...

When discussing future government spending, one must remember three words and three words only: Medicare, Medicare, and Medicare.  Discretionary spending is nothing compared to entitlements.

On a side note, I have a terrible feeling that a VAT is coming.

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com

No, no, I feel ya...  Not the greatest comparison in hindsight.  I just worry that political expediency takes precedence over long-term economic planning (with BOTH parties)...  I hope you enjoyed your dinner. 

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

If, like the mess of Social Security THE SOCIAL SECURIZI SCHEME, inflation takes 35-70 years to "come calling" (if it ever does)...

Poke-sticked.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
Quote from: morpheus on June 09, 2009, 10:50:58 PM

If, like the mess of Social Security THE SOCIAL SECURIZI SCHEME, inflation takes 35-70 years to "come calling" (if it ever does)...

Poke-sticked.

Haha.  You're going to ruin his dinner, ya jerk.