News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Thread  ( 472,289 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
DPD.

I want to congratulate you, Chicago residents, all of us, Cook County and Illinois residents, and finally you federal taxpayers (who one day might be delivering a BAILOUT to Springfield, who will deliver BAILOUTS to Cook County and Chicago) and occasional Chicago tourists.

We're all on the hook for guaranteed profits for the 2016 games!

Chicago's bid from the Olympics went from, "Yeah, we can do it with what we've got, and then we can get money from corporations to build other buildings..." to "OK, we'll upgrade CTA and other infrastructure..." to "Soldier Field isn't big enough, so we'll big a temporary Olympic stadium that will turn into a 3,000-seat theater in the park when it's over..." to "OK, we've sold our soul!"

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on June 17, 2009, 09:57:24 AM
Quote from: Tank on June 17, 2009, 09:55:20 AM
Quote from: Brownie on June 17, 2009, 09:51:05 AM
It's best to put your $$ in hard assets now.

Hard assets like bus parts?

Sure.

But what does the bus part industry have to offer me, the investor, over something like holdings in the Dr. Ron Paul Amalgamated Gold Bank?
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on June 17, 2009, 09:54:47 AM
Quote from: Fork on June 17, 2009, 09:52:52 AM

I, for one, am squirrelling like a motherfucker.

Everyone, refi now if you can. You'll get over like a fat fucking rat.

This.

I refi'ed at 4.875%, 30 year fixed, no points, just closed on it last week.  [pats self on back]

Deflation is only a short-term threat at best.  The sheer quantity of borrowing that will have to be done to meet financing needs for all of the upcoming deficit spending

means that at some point, given the current CBO projections, the US will probably have to monetize some portion of the debt taken on.  Monetization always leads to inflation.  It just becomes a matter of degree and timing, really.  That Trib article RV posted does not address the monetization issue, only the relatively short-term risk of inflation due to the large (and necessary, IMO) money supply increase over the past year.  The monetization/inflation story is a longer-term one, in my view.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on June 17, 2009, 10:16:57 AM
DPD.

I want to congratulate you, Chicago residents, all of us, Cook County and Illinois residents, and finally you federal taxpayers (who one day might be delivering a BAILOUT to Springfield, who will deliver BAILOUTS to Cook County and Chicago) and occasional Chicago tourists.

We're all on the hook for guaranteed profits for the 2016 games!

Chicago's bid from the Olympics went from, "Yeah, we can do it with what we've got, and then we can get money from corporations to build other buildings..." to "OK, we'll upgrade CTA and other infrastructure..." to "Soldier Field isn't big enough, so we'll big a temporary Olympic stadium that will turn into a 3,000-seat theater in the park when it's over..." to "OK, we've sold our soul!"

Is there any way to sell short on this boondoggle?

Can you buy credit default swaps on TIFs?
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: morpheus on June 17, 2009, 10:40:47 AM
Quote from: Brownie on June 17, 2009, 09:54:47 AM
Quote from: Fork on June 17, 2009, 09:52:52 AM

I, for one, am squirrelling like a motherfucker.

Everyone, refi now if you can. You'll get over like a fat fucking rat.

This.

I refi'ed at 4.875%, 30 year fixed, no points, just closed on it last week.  [pats self on back]

Deflation is only a short-term threat at best.  The sheer quantity of borrowing that will have to be done to meet financing needs for all of the upcoming deficit spending means that at some point, given the current CBO projections, the US will probably have to monetize some portion of the debt taken on.  Monetization always leads to inflation.  It just becomes a matter of degree and timing, really.  That Trib article RV posted does not address the monetization issue, only the relatively short-term risk of inflation due to the large (and necessary, IMO) money supply increase over the past year.  The monetization/inflation story is a longer-term one, in my view.

It seems that this is up for debate. I'm not nearly smart enough to understand what these brainiacs are arguing about, but Krugmarx and others think that we're in the middle of a Japan-like liquidity trap, when monetization did not lead to inflation. Like you pointed out, this is a long-term issue, so we'll have to check back in 5 or 10 years to see which econofags are VINDICATED.

http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodget-why-krugmans-not-worried-about-inflation-2009-6

http://www.businessinsider.com/oh-relax-about-inflation-already-paul-krugmans-always-right-2009-6

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Monetization always leads to inflation.

Not if it's countered with reduced demand elsewhere.  If government spending dials back as private demand rises, inflation should be minimized as total demand does not change.

Now, getting the government to reduce spending is probably unrealistic.  All politicians get reelected based on what they bring to the district, not on their tax cut votes.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 17, 2009, 11:06:20 AM

Not if it's countered with reduced demand elsewhere.  If government spending dials back as private demand rises, inflation should be minimized as total demand does not change.

Now, getting the government to reduce spending is probably unrealistic.  All politicians get reelected based on what they bring to the district, not on their tax cut votes.

Stew can tell us all about the ballot initiatives in his home state, where Californians voted themselves all kinds of nifty programs, but didn't want taxes raised.

This is a large problem, everyone wants it all...they don't want to pay taxes, but they still want the garbage picked up.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on June 17, 2009, 11:11:12 AM

Not if it's countered with reduced demand elsewhere.  If government spending dials back as private demand rises, inflation should be minimized as total demand does not change.

Now, getting the government to reduce spending is probably unrealistic.  All politicians get reelected based on what they bring to the district, not on their tax cut votes.

Stew can tell us all about the ballot initiatives in his home state, where Californians voted themselves all kinds of nifty programs, but didn't want taxes raised.

This is a large problem, everyone wants it all...they don't want to pay taxes, but they still want the garbage picked up.

THIS THIS THIS

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club

Garbage pickup? That'll become obsolete when floating boots and flying autogyros are introduced in the 1990s, and we won't need to concern ourselves with the waste hills accumulating down on that lousy, useless terra firma.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: RV on June 17, 2009, 11:18:11 AM

Garbage pickup? That'll become obsolete when floating boots and flying autogyros are introduced in the 1990s, and we won't need to concern ourselves with the waste hills accumulating down on that lousy, useless terra firma.

I'm telling you, vote for me in 2012. Jetsons Shit for everyone.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Jon on June 17, 2009, 11:20:03 AM

I'm still waiting for the bumper sticker.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on June 17, 2009, 11:32:27 AM

If only there were a Jetsons Hitler Puncher Bumper Sticker...

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: morpheus on June 17, 2009, 11:35:21 AM

Maybe George and Astro watching Hitler get caught in the treadmill
TIME TO POST!

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: morpheus on June 17, 2009, 11:35:21 AM

Get out of my head.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
Some context for the Springfield budget clusterfuck. I was surprised to read that Illinois is actually on the lower end of spending and state employees compared to the rest of the country.

QuoteFor instance, contrary to arguments that Illinois government should be drastically cut, it turns out that we have the second smallest number of state employees per capita

Quotethe number of government workers in Illinois has dropped by 22 percent over the past eight years

QuoteMeanwhile, Illinois state spending -- which ranked 39th in the nation in 2007 at $4,628 per capita -- has been relatively flat over the past decade. Because Illinois is the fifth wealthiest state in the country, it begs a fairly straightforward question: If spending is so low, how can the state be so broke?  The answer is simple. As the Tax Foundation reports, Illinois taxpayers paid a mere $4,346 per capita in state and local taxes combined in 2007, which amounts to one of the lowest tax burdens in the nation. Add ongoing pension deferrals with recession-related revenue drops and you've got a multi-billion dollar budget shortfall.

So does this mean that the rest of the state has a really low tax burden? Because I'm fairly certain Cook County residents don't have a particularly low effective tax rate. (Apologies for the libofag link, but it was a good accumulation of links to STUDIES).