News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Atheist Communist Caliphate Made Flesh, Spread the Clusterfuck Around Thread  ( 472,295 )

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on January 20, 2010, 08:56:43 AM
To be fair, the silence WASN'T deafening. Gil Gunderson referenced Coakley being in danger earlier on Tuesday with a Dead Pool post. Those who met at Kitty O'Shea's were predicting DOOOOOOOM for Coakley. By the way, for as rancorous the political landscape is and as heated as the discussions get here, and as opposed some of us are to each others' politics, it IS amazing that a barroom brawl didn't erupt between Morph-Bill Cadigan-Me on one side and ThrillHo-Oleg-Jon on the other. Or maybe this is not North Korea and we can remain friends and argue in good faith and buy each other beers. What a country! U-S-A! U-S-A!

However, Fiveouts is right in that taunting the loser in an election is bad form. Scott Brown's win is good news for those more conservative than the government's agenda, just as Obama's win (and the Dems' overall ass-kicking in the House and Senate in '06 and '08) was good news for the Left.

However, are we just rooting for "laundry" in politics too? Voting for laundry gave us George Ryan and Rod Blagojevich. And City Council. Yay?

But Scott Brown is a good win for the right. So I'm happy. Cheers!

Don't worry, TJ, I could whip all three of those TAXOLIB HOMOCRATS by myself faster than TDubbs can offend an angry married broad.

(just doing my part to restore the anger and hostility to this seemingly suddenly peaceful dark corner)
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: morpheus on January 20, 2010, 10:46:49 AM
To be fair, the silence WASN'T deafening. Gil Gunderson referenced Coakley being in danger earlier on Tuesday with a Dead Pool post. Those who met at Kitty O'Shea's were predicting DOOOOOOOM for Coakley. By the way, for as rancorous the political landscape is and as heated as the discussions get here, and as opposed some of us are to each others' politics, it IS amazing that a barroom brawl didn't erupt between Morph-Bill Cadigan-Me on one side and ThrillHo-Oleg-Jon on the other. Or maybe this is not North Korea and we can remain friends and argue in good faith and buy each other beers. What a country! U-S-A! U-S-A!

However, Fiveouts is right in that taunting the loser in an election is bad form. Scott Brown's win is good news for those more conservative than the government's agenda, just as Obama's win (and the Dems' overall ass-kicking in the House and Senate in '06 and '08) was good news for the Left.

However, are we just rooting for "laundry" in politics too? Voting for laundry gave us George Ryan and Rod Blagojevich. And City Council. Yay?

Don't worry, TJ, I could whip all three of those TAXOLIB HOMOCRATS by myself faster than TDubbs can offend an angry married broad.

(just doing my part to restore the anger and hostility to this seemingly suddenly peaceful dark corner)

Morph is tougher than ThrillHo-Oleg-Jon? That's quite a statement.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: BH on January 20, 2010, 11:00:04 AM
Quote from: morpheus on January 20, 2010, 10:46:49 AM

Morph is tougher than ThrillHo-Oleg-Jon? That's quite a statement.

Tougher than an art fhag, a drama fhag, and a little person? Those are bold words.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Two gheys and a midget walk into a bar...

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
I'd be worried about Oleg just wandering away mid-ruckus, when he forgets what's happening.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on January 20, 2010, 11:03:59 AM
I'd be worried about Oleg just wandering away mid-ruckus, when he forgets what's happening.

You should recruit Ian and Yeti, they played ball in high school.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
Fuck its silent in here.......
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on January 20, 2010, 11:26:27 AM

Well, now that everything to the left of Orrin Hatch has been completely refuted by an ineptly run Democratic campaign in Massachusetts, what more is left to be said?
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Jon on January 20, 2010, 11:35:30 AM

Well, now that everything to the left of Orrin Hatch has been completely refuted by an ineptly run Democratic campaign in Massachusetts, what more is left to be said?

That Mike C. is a bottomless well of turdblossoms?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: MAD on January 20, 2010, 11:39:57 AM
Quote from: Jon on January 20, 2010, 11:35:30 AM

That Mike C. is a bottomless well of turdblossoms?

Needless to say...

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: BH on January 20, 2010, 11:13:38 AM

You should recruit Ian and Yeti, they played ball in high school.

IAN did? Sweet

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
I've resisted commenting on the recent brouhaha in Massachusetts for fear of looking like a partisan hack.  I don't root for Democrats and Republicans like I root for the CUBBIES!! and Hawks.  However, I do root for the team that has a genuine interest in improving the safety and welfare of the nation, rather than simply saying no.

At the moment, I believe that there is a strong chance that the House will swallow the bitter pill known as the Senate bill, giving the president a legislative accomplishment he can hang his hat on.  Beyond that, I believe, as 538 does, that the president and the Congress will push hard to the center and pass measures that have only 50%+ support.  It is very difficult to say to the average voter that your government is trying to do things for you when you're out of work and the Congress is talking about climate change and other liberal initiatives.  How does that get Joe Average a job anytime soon?

So, what happens in 2010 and beyond is hard to say.  Republicans will probably slim the majorities considerably, but I doubt they'll retake either the House or the Senate.  And 2012, so much depends on things that haven't happened yet.  

I expect the President to continue to tack towards the center, the Congress to get very populist, and Republicans to continue to say no to anything.  So, there.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Neh, I'd be all...hey look!  Shiny object!

Going to back to what SKO said before, the political climate in this country is certainly partisan.  However, that may be just because there are such differing ideas about where this country should be and how to get there.

I vote Democrat because they simply line up much better with what I believe, in a practical sense.  It hasn't always been that way, and it's 50-50 that it will be that way in 2010 or 2012 (Green Party!).  But, that leads to what Apex (I think) said earlier.  My vote in 2004 was as much against Bush as it was for Kerry, and that sucks.  Yada, yada...I got SKO on board.  Who's next?  It'll be us against Stew for a truly representative system!

As for the election yesterday...in a purely political sense, it was extremely remarkable.  Who the hell could blow a 20 point lead in 7 weeks?  However (pardon the upcoming analogy), this was like The Wild coming back after being down 5-1 to The Hawks.  To borrow from the Hockeenight crew, if other teams think they found a formula to win, good luck with that.  If the Republicans think they can cruise to victories because every campaign in 2010 is going to be complacent and the candidate will suck, good luck with that.

Ideologically, this race says nothing about health care.  Nate Silver pointed out that Mass already has a public option in their health care system that's immensely popular and it works.  So, if anyone wants to blame the health care debate, fine.  But that's not the reason.  The economic climate sucks, but it could have been worse.  It's not like the Mass voters all of a sudden decided that economic prudence was all of a sudden a priority after voting for Kennedy and Kerry for thirty-whatever years.

This was what it was...an anomaly that has almost zero chance to be repeated.  Like I said, it was fun to watch, if all I gave a shit about was the numbers.

I typed fast.  I may or may not have made sense.  Carry on.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on January 20, 2010, 12:38:49 PM
I've resisted commenting on the recent brouhaha in Massachusetts for fear of looking like a partisan hack.  I don't root for Democrats and Republicans like I root for the CUBBIES!! and Hawks.  However, I do root for the team that has a genuine interest in improving the safety and welfare of the nation, rather than simply saying no.

At the moment, I believe that there is a strong chance that the House will swallow the bitter pill known as the Senate bill, giving the president a legislative accomplishment he can hang his hat on.  Beyond that, I believe, as 538 does, that the president and the Congress will push hard to the center and pass measures that have only 50%+ support.  It is very difficult to say to the average voter that your government is trying to do things for you when you're out of work and the Congress is talking about climate change and other liberal initiatives.  How does that get Joe Average a job anytime soon?

So, what happens in 2010 and beyond is hard to say.  Republicans will probably slim the majorities considerably, but I doubt they'll retake either the House or the Senate.  And 2012, so much depends on things that haven't happened yet.  

I expect the President to continue to tack towards the center, the Congress to get very populist, and Republicans to continue to say no to anything.  So, there.

Um, this is false and makes you look exactly like the partisan hack you are trying to avoid appearing to be.  Do you really believe that only one party has an interest in improving the safety and welfare of this nation?  That's ridiculous, and shame on you for saying it.  

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: morpheus on January 20, 2010, 12:52:46 PM
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on January 20, 2010, 12:38:49 PM

Um, this is false and makes you look exactly like the partisan hack you are trying to avoid appearing to be.  Do you really believe that only one party has an interest in improving the safety and welfare of this nation?  That's ridiculous, and shame on you for saying it.  

Yeah, you'd never catch a Republican doing that.

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16