News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Anthony Rizzo DongFest Thread  ( 69,586 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Anthony Rizzo DongFest Thread
« Reply #195 on: May 07, 2015, 09:17:28 AM »
Quote from: R-V on May 07, 2015, 09:16:15 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 07, 2015, 08:15:14 AM
Quote from: Tony on May 07, 2015, 08:13:28 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 07, 2015, 08:08:46 AM
This guy is insane. I can't remember a Cub who had his awareness of the strike zone before. It seems the only time he ever Ks is when the ump is clearly wrong.

Speaking of the umps, why does it seem like the umps are wrong so much this year? Are they bad, or it is just noticeable now that we have a team that takes more pitches?

I think it's probably the latter, also I think TV broadcasts use that K zone thing more than ever before and it's more accurate than it used to be, so we see their fuck ups definitively.

It's gotten to the point where I trust Fowler, Rizzo, Bryant and Montero's judgment of the strike zone more than I do the umps. Soler was in that category in spring training and earlier this season but he's got some work to do to get back onto my Smarter Than the Umps dry erase board.

I laughed heartily at Miggy once again sprinting to first base after his pinch-walk.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #196 on: May 07, 2015, 09:18:06 AM »
Quote from: flannj on May 07, 2015, 09:03:18 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on May 07, 2015, 08:36:48 AM
This guy is insane. I can't remember a Cub who had his awareness of the strike zone before. It seems the only time he ever Ks is when the ump is clearly wrong.

Speaking of the umps, why does it seem like the umps are wrong so much this year? Are they bad, or it is just noticeable now that we have a team that takes more pitches?

I think it's probably the latter, also I think TV broadcasts use that K zone thing more than ever before and it's more accurate than it used to be, so we see their fuck ups definitively.

On that note, ESPN's new K-zone is the tits.

They can zoom/pan and it stays overlaid right where it should be. I don't know what sort of wizardry they did to make that happen, but it's awesome.

Since the inception of this K zone thing my nitpicking brain has wondered if the depth of home plate is taken into consideration?
The view we see on the screen is two dimensional yet home plate is three dimensional. 17 inches square with two corners cut off. Does the view we see reflect the front of the plate, the middle, the back or some super complex algorithm that encompasses all of its depth? Even though 17 inches isn't that deep I would suspect that there are times when a pitched ball with lots of movement could miss the plate at the front but cross over at the rear or vicey versey. It bugs me and I want answers.

When ESPN does slow motions replays, sometimes they do show an isometric, 3D view of the K Zone...it's cool.

Quick GIS, but...

IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #197 on: May 07, 2015, 09:32:53 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 07, 2015, 08:44:45 AM

They can zoom/pan and it stays overlaid right where it should be. I don't know what sort of wizardry they did to make that happen, but it's awesome.

I really don't like looking at it in the live view. Maybe I'll get used to it though.

Me too. It's distracting. Love it on replays though.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: May 07, 2015, 09:34:39 AM »
Quote from: Tony on May 07, 2015, 09:32:53 AM

I really don't like looking at it in the live view. Maybe I'll get used to it though.

I'm not watching games on ESPN unless they're Cubs games I can't otherwise see. Fuck them and their little box bullshit.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: May 07, 2015, 09:46:53 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 07, 2015, 09:34:39 AM

I'm not watching games on ESPN unless they're Cubs games I can't otherwise see. Fuck them and their little box bullshit.

The best way to watch MLB games is through MLB.TV where you can get the local broadcast (unless you're a White Sox fan, then you can watch the opposing team's feed as opposed to Hawk). The team-specific broadcast is very well done and the announcers know a lot more about the teams than the generic bullcrap that ESPN announcers give.

If you don't have MLB.TV, MLB Network's games are usually simulcasts of one of the team's specific broadcasts...the rub is if you're watching the Cubs, you might get their opponent's broadcasters. Still not terrible as they usually are better informed than the ESPN knuckleheads.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2015, 09:48:30 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 07, 2015, 09:46:53 AM

The best way to watch MLB games is through MLB.TV where you can get the local broadcast (unless you're a White Sox fan, then you can watch the opposing team's feed as opposed to Hawk). The team-specific broadcast is very well done and the announcers know a lot more about the teams than the generic bullcrap that ESPN announcers give.

If you don't have MLB.TV, MLB Network's games are usually simulcasts of one of the team's specific broadcasts...the rub is if you're watching the Cubs, you might get their opponent's broadcasters. Still not terrible as they usually are better informed than the ESPN knuckleheads.

Yo, fanboat, if anyone of us in Illinois or even Iowa (fuck you, MLB) tries to watch the Cubs game on MLBN we can't because of stupid blackouts. Your state's complete lack of proximity to professional baseball is a boon to you.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2015, 09:52:30 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 07, 2015, 09:48:30 AM

Yo, fanboat, if anyone of us in Illinois or even Iowa (fuck you, MLB) tries to watch the Cubs game on MLBN we can't because of stupid blackouts. Your state's complete lack of proximity to professional baseball is a boon to you.

I have had MLB.tv for years. I love it.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2015, 09:57:02 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 07, 2015, 09:52:30 AM

Do you have a way around the blackout restrictions or do you just use it to watch non-Cubs games? Because if so tell me your secrets. I mostly use Stream2Watch.me to watch Cubs games because Des Moines is literally the most fucked town in America for blackout restrictions. The Cubs/Cardinals/Sox/Twins/Royals are ALL blacked out on MLB.TV here. But if there's a way around them I'd gladly pay for MLB.tv just to not have to deal with annoying pop ups and bad connections.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #203 on: May 07, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 07, 2015, 09:57:02 AM

Do you have a way around the blackout restrictions or do you just use it to watch non-Cubs games? Because if so tell me your secrets. I mostly use Stream2Watch.me to watch Cubs games because Des Moines is literally the most fucked town in America for blackout restrictions. The Cubs/Cardinals/Sox/Twins/Royals are ALL blacked out on MLB.TV here. But if there's a way around them I'd gladly pay for MLB.tv just to not have to deal with annoying pop ups and bad connections.

The only site you'll ever need.

Caveat - this stopped working for me for NBA after a while, and we got lazy and went back to Comcast after a few months cable-free. I'm 90% sure it stopped working for me because of VPN stuff related to logging in to do work at home, which isn't a concern for you, because you're a hobo squatting in the storage shed of a college dorm.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: May 07, 2015, 10:22:01 AM »
Quote from: R-V on May 07, 2015, 10:10:20 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 07, 2015, 09:57:02 AM

The only site you'll ever need.

Caveat - this stopped working for me for NBA after a while, and we got lazy and went back to Comcast after a few months cable-free. I'm 90% sure it stopped working for me because of VPN stuff related to logging in to do work at home, which isn't a concern for you, because you're a hobo squatting in the storage shed of a college dorm.

I'll give it a go. Thank you

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: May 07, 2015, 10:58:09 AM »
Let's not forget that ridiculous defensive pay he made. Bourjos made it from first to third on the play, but it was a great stop by Rizzo.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #206 on: May 07, 2015, 11:25:37 AM »
Tony Ballgame has a .400 OBP going back to the start of last season, over 732 PAs.

I heart him.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: May 07, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 07, 2015, 09:18:06 AM

Since the inception of this K zone thing my nitpicking brain has wondered if the depth of home plate is taken into consideration?
The view we see on the screen is two dimensional yet home plate is three dimensional. 17 inches square with two corners cut off. Does the view we see reflect the front of the plate, the middle, the back or some super complex algorithm that encompasses all of its depth? Even though 17 inches isn't that deep I would suspect that there are times when a pitched ball with lots of movement could miss the plate at the front but cross over at the rear or vicey versey. It bugs me and I want answers.

When ESPN does slow motions replays, sometimes they do show an isometric, 3D view of the K Zone...it's cool.

Quick GIS, but...

Couldn't open the image at work so it took me awhile to see your GIS. That is pretty cool but even ESPN admits that it's only a graphic representation. I'm not saying it's not accurate because apparently they do triangulate cameras for the shot but it would be be cool to see a plumb line view from directly above home plate. That probably only works in stadiums where there is at least a portion of a roof directly above home plate. Although I'm all for using new technology and for calling out umpires for channeling Eric Gregg but the photographic geek in me remains sceptical about the 3d accuracy especially if the real appeal to ESPN is that they can just throw shit out there (and use it FOR EVERY FUCKING PITCH) without backing it up.

Oh wait...
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: May 07, 2015, 04:25:42 PM »
Quote from: flannj on May 07, 2015, 04:11:06 PM

Quick GIS, but...

Couldn't open the image at work so it took me awhile to see your GIS. That is pretty cool but even ESPN admits that it's only a graphic representation. I'm not saying it's not accurate because apparently they do triangulate cameras for the shot but it would be be cool to see a plumb line view from directly above home plate. That probably only works in stadiums where there is at least a portion of a roof directly above home plate. Although I'm all for using new technology and for calling out umpires for channeling Eric Gregg but the photographic geek in me remains sceptical about the 3d accuracy especially if the real appeal to ESPN is that they can just throw shit out there (and use it FOR EVERY FUCKING PITCH) without backing it up.

Oh wait...

DPD

Also, that virtually straight line that represents the flight of the ball?
Fucking ballistics, how do they work?

Gravity's a bitch.
(I'm sure Wheezer will correct me on all of this though)
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2015, 07:55:33 AM »
Quote from: flannj on May 07, 2015, 04:25:42 PM
Quote from: flannj on May 07, 2015, 04:11:06 PM

Quick GIS, but...

Oh wait...

DPD

Also, that virtually straight line that represents the flight of the ball?
Fucking ballistics, how do they work?

Gravity's a bitch.
(I'm sure Wheezer will correct me on all of this though)

Only Vicente Padilla throws a ball like this