News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Anthony Rizzo DongFest Thread  ( 69,617 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Anthony Rizzo DongFest Thread
« Reply #315 on: September 28, 2015, 10:55:52 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 28, 2015, 09:18:51 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on September 28, 2015, 09:15:17 AM
Quote from: Tonker on September 28, 2015, 06:23:56 AM
Quote from: PANK! on September 28, 2015, 05:54:58 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on September 28, 2015, 05:50:41 AM
Quote from: Tonker on September 28, 2015, 02:25:01 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on September 27, 2015, 03:42:31 PM
One has to think his MVP chances improve when his top competition is busy getting into fist fights with Papelbon.

Not really, no.

You're right. Arrieta will probably get more votes than Rizzo. But as far as Harper goes, MVPs don't get into dugout fights with teammates. Maybe he'll win it anyway, but his antics can't be helping him.

Is this a bit?

If not, please be aware that Papelbon is a well-known asshammer who ATTACKED Harper. This will--and should-- have no effect on Harper'a MVP chances.

Yes.  Perhaps I should have been more explicit, but: this.

I am often wrong. I hope I'm not totally off in this case. Papelbon may be a douche, but I'm not sure about Harper, either.

Kurt may not be wrong on this, if Nitkowski's article is any indication. Papelbon's a turd but he's the kind of turd baseball insiders approve of. He beans players who admire home runs and he enforces the unwritten rules. Harper's reputation as a cocky d-bag seems to be entirely fueled by the fact that he's A) very well aware that he's 22 years old and yet better than basically everyone and B) as indicated by his public shitting on Papelbon for beaning Machado and his failing to sometimes run out pop ups and stuff, Harper has no time for the unwritten rules.

If the baseball media wasn't still largely full of mealy mouthed idiots who think it's fine and dandy to choke out a teammate for not running out a pop up or to use a 97 MPH fastball as a weapon to adjust someone's attitude, I'd say this would have no effect on Harper, but the response has been enough to give me pause, though.

If the voting took place right this second while the hot taeks are raging like Brian McCann's roid-infused hemorrhoids, the meter might move a tiny blip. In a week this will all be meh and Harper's dominance will be unquestioned - personality be damned. If Barry Bonds can win MVPs, Harper won't have a single problem grabbing votes.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #316 on: September 28, 2015, 11:10:39 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 28, 2015, 10:55:52 AM
One has to think his MVP chances improve when his top competition is busy getting into fist fights with Papelbon.

Not really, no.

You're right. Arrieta will probably get more votes than Rizzo. But as far as Harper goes, MVPs don't get into dugout fights with teammates. Maybe he'll win it anyway, but his antics can't be helping him.

Is this a bit?

If not, please be aware that Papelbon is a well-known asshammer who ATTACKED Harper. This will--and should-- have no effect on Harper'a MVP chances.

I am often wrong. I hope I'm not totally off in this case. Papelbon may be a douche, but I'm not sure about Harper, either.

Kurt may not be wrong on this, if Nitkowski's article is any indication. Papelbon's a turd but he's the kind of turd baseball insiders approve of. He beans players who admire home runs and he enforces the unwritten rules. Harper's reputation as a cocky d-bag seems to be entirely fueled by the fact that he's A) very well aware that he's 22 years old and yet better than basically everyone and B) as indicated by his public shitting on Papelbon for beaning Machado and his failing to sometimes run out pop ups and stuff, Harper has no time for the unwritten rules.

If the baseball media wasn't still largely full of mealy mouthed idiots who think it's fine and dandy to choke out a teammate for not running out a pop up or to use a 97 MPH fastball as a weapon to adjust someone's attitude, I'd say this would have no effect on Harper, but the response has been enough to give me pause, though.

If the voting took place right this second while the hot taeks are raging like Brian McCann's roid-infused hemorrhoids, the meter might move a tiny blip. In a week this will all be meh and Harper's dominance will be unquestioned - personality be damned. If Barry Bonds can win MVPs, Harper won't have a single problem grabbing votes.

They are both dicks. They got into a fight. I laughed as I don't have a rooting interest in either of them.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #317 on: September 28, 2015, 11:12:32 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 28, 2015, 11:10:39 AM

Not really, no.

Is this a bit?

They are both dicks. They got into a fight. I laughed as I don't have a rooting interest in either of them.

Oh it's unquestionably hilarious that their season is this much of a train wreck and Papelbon's red ass has now started to go after teammates. I just can't believe there's even a question as to whether or not a dude deserved to get choked in the dugout by his own teammate.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #318 on: September 28, 2015, 11:13:55 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 28, 2015, 11:12:32 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 28, 2015, 11:10:39 AM

Not really, no.

Is this a bit?

Oh it's unquestionably hilarious that their season is this much of a train wreck and Papelbon's red ass has now started to go after teammates. I just can't believe there's even a question as to whether or not a dude deserved to get choked in the dugout by his own teammate.

SKO, they bought their tickets.  They knew what they were getting into!

I say, let 'em choke!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #319 on: September 28, 2015, 11:15:04 AM »
Anyway, Anthony Rizzo is pretty good, unless he's just ordinary. Jury's still out.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #320 on: September 28, 2015, 11:17:08 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 28, 2015, 11:15:04 AM
Anyway, Anthony Rizzo is pretty good, unless he's just ordinary. Jury's still out.

Agreed, but I'll be a little embarrassed if he wins the MVP over Harper.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #321 on: September 28, 2015, 11:21:48 AM »

I wonder how many players would post an OPS of .860 over 500 PAs if you just arbitrarily decided to discount their best two months of the season like ol' Trueblood did. I would call "500 PAs with an .860 OPS even IF you discount their two best months" to be the sign of a really fucking great player, not a guy who is broken.

What's even more unfair is that 500 PA sample that he chose included Tony's awful late July slump. If you took out his awful 17 game, .541 OPS stretch in mid July I'm willing to bet his numbers post-May don't look much worse at all than his April/May peak.

In short, what an odd bone for that nerd to pick. Tony rules.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #322 on: September 28, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 28, 2015, 11:21:48 AM

I wonder how many players would post an OPS of .860 over 500 PAs if you just arbitrarily decided to discount their best two months of the season like ol' Trueblood did. I would call "500 PAs with an .860 OPS even IF you discount their two best months" to be the sign of a really fucking great player, not a guy who is broken.

What's even more unfair is that 500 PA sample that he chose included Tony's awful late July slump. If you took out his awful 17 game, .541 OPS stretch in mid July I'm willing to bet his numbers post-May don't look much worse at all than his April/May peak.

For a BP guy to arbitrarily decide that part of Rizzo's season doesn't count as much as others is bizarre. I'll stand aside as he tells us that Jake Arrieta actually sucks and that Matt is a better tactical pitcher, hands down.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #323 on: September 28, 2015, 11:32:42 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 28, 2015, 11:25:36 AM

For a BP guy to arbitrarily decide that part of Rizzo's season doesn't count as much as others is bizarre. I'll stand aside as he tells us that Jake Arrieta actually sucks and that Matt is a better tactical pitcher, hands down.

It basically boils down to Rizzo being insanely hot in April/May and then cooling off just like every other player does, and Trueblood apparently thinking that he's broken instead of just regressing to his (still very good) mean. Does he think every guy that puts up a .900+ OPS for a whole season must put up a .900 OPS every month?

WAIT

Is...is Trueblood Lance Dickson's Arm? Is he saying .900 OPS first basemen grow on trees?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #324 on: September 28, 2015, 12:01:35 PM »
I'll stand aside as he tells us that Jake Arrieta actually sucks and that Matt is a better tactical pitcher, hands down.

He didn't do that, but he did tell everyone the night of Arrieta's no-hitter that Jake had "some kind of substance" on his arm.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #325 on: September 28, 2015, 12:05:09 PM »
Quote from: Eli on September 28, 2015, 12:01:35 PM
I'll stand aside as he tells us that Jake Arrieta actually sucks and that Matt is a better tactical pitcher, hands down.

He didn't do that, but he did tell everyone the night of Arrieta's no-hitter that Jake had "some kind of substance" on his arm.

I assume it was this.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #326 on: September 28, 2015, 12:08:28 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 28, 2015, 11:32:42 AM

It basically boils down to Rizzo being insanely hot in April/May and then cooling off just like every other player does, and Trueblood apparently thinking that he's broken instead of just regressing to his (still very good) mean. Does he think every guy that puts up a .900+ OPS for a whole season must put up a .900 OPS every month?

WAIT

Is...is Trueblood Lance Dickson's Arm? Is he saying .900 OPS first basemen grow on trees?

DAMN IT. I was saving that reference until I found a better way to work it in.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #327 on: September 28, 2015, 12:09:06 PM »

WAIT

I want to fight this guy. I want to pull his pants down and kick him in the ass in front of all the girls from school.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #328 on: September 28, 2015, 12:24:33 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 28, 2015, 12:09:06 PM

WAIT

I want to fight this guy. I want to pull his pants down and kick him in the ass in front of all the girls from school.

You should be proud that I knew who wrote this post without looking at the name first.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #329 on: September 28, 2015, 07:42:21 PM »

Not really, no.

Is this a bit?

He has every right to be pissed at Papelbon for hitting Machado, especially since (1) it took him two tries and (2) both were up near the head. Harper is likely to be the guy that gets smoked in return.