News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Anthony Rizzo DongFest Thread  ( 69,623 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Anthony Rizzo DongFest Thread
« Reply #360 on: April 06, 2016, 10:49:29 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 06, 2016, 10:44:05 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on April 06, 2016, 10:40:44 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on April 06, 2016, 10:35:39 AM
That was one of the best parts of last year: it's hard to find a player to hate on this team. I presume that Lackey will fill that role this year, and I may even come to love to despise him.

I became a Cubs fan in 1987, and it was on the back of Andre Dawson, who will always be my favourite player. There were a lot of likeable Cubs on those teams as well, and I'm always going to fondly remember Dunston, Sandberg, Grace, Maddux, Sutcliffe, and a few others. Wood was my first favourite as an adult, although I spent most of his career in anxiety about his career, which kind of kills the buzz.

Modern day, I really think Heyward is going to surge to the forefront of my favourite players. He just reminds me too much of Dawson, even though he doesn't hit as many homeruns. But it's legitimately hard to choose one guy on this team. You almost have to break it down to favourite guy in the infield (Brizzoyant), favourite guy in the outfield, and favourite pitcher (Jake).

But if I'm being honest, I miss Starlin. I hope someone can carry about with the kind of energy he had last year. I don't think it was essential, but it was special.

I mean, if we're actually gonna do this:
LaStella
Lackey
Hammel (hopefully not, but certainly has continued potential)

There are some other long-term bets (Zobrist, for sure) but the list is much smaller than in prior years.

Why Zobrist? Too old and may fail to live up to his reasonable contract? I don't find much to hate about a guy with his skill set and personality. Plus Joe knows him and likes him. What am I missing here?

That. I also think Pen's worried he'll block Baez or Gleyber or Happ or whatever but I'm pretty sure given the aforementioned reasonable contract the Cubs won't have any qualms about making him a utility player if they have a young star more deserving of that spot. They're still paying Edwin Jackson 11 million or whatever to not pitch for them, I don't know why we'd assume they won't do that with Zobrist. I deem him unhateworthy.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #361 on: April 06, 2016, 10:51:25 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 06, 2016, 09:09:23 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on April 06, 2016, 08:55:39 AM
Rizzo's dangerously close to leapfrogging Dawson as my #2 all-time. He is the fucking balls.

I feel like having FAVORITE PLAYERS at my age is extremely childish. But then LeBron's dong falls out of my mouth and I realize I'm a fucking fetus. That said, it's hard to pick a favorite on this team. Arrieta has to be it for me though. He is everything that is man.

I'm older than you and will wear #14 as long as I play ball.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #362 on: April 06, 2016, 11:00:04 AM »
That was one of the best parts of last year: it's hard to find a player to hate on this team.

...I miss Starlin.

There's a connection here.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #363 on: April 06, 2016, 11:01:36 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 06, 2016, 10:49:29 AM
That was one of the best parts of last year: it's hard to find a player to hate on this team. I presume that Lackey will fill that role this year, and I may even come to love to despise him.

I became a Cubs fan in 1987, and it was on the back of Andre Dawson, who will always be my favourite player. There were a lot of likeable Cubs on those teams as well, and I'm always going to fondly remember Dunston, Sandberg, Grace, Maddux, Sutcliffe, and a few others. Wood was my first favourite as an adult, although I spent most of his career in anxiety about his career, which kind of kills the buzz.

Modern day, I really think Heyward is going to surge to the forefront of my favourite players. He just reminds me too much of Dawson, even though he doesn't hit as many homeruns. But it's legitimately hard to choose one guy on this team. You almost have to break it down to favourite guy in the infield (Brizzoyant), favourite guy in the outfield, and favourite pitcher (Jake).

But if I'm being honest, I miss Starlin. I hope someone can carry about with the kind of energy he had last year. I don't think it was essential, but it was special.

LaStella
Lackey

There are some other long-term bets (Zobrist, for sure) but the list is much smaller than in prior years.

Why Zobrist? Too old and may fail to live up to his reasonable contract? I don't find much to hate about a guy with his skill set and personality. Plus Joe knows him and likes him. What am I missing here?

That. I also think Pen's worried he'll block Baez or Gleyber or Happ or whatever but I'm pretty sure given the aforementioned reasonable contract the Cubs won't have any qualms about making him a utility player if they have a young star more deserving of that spot. They're still paying Edwin Jackson 11 million or whatever to not pitch for them, I don't know why we'd assume they won't do that with Zobrist. I deem him unhateworthy.

He's double clutched on two double play balls already.  TWO!!!  IN TWO GAMES!!!

Hatemeter activated.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #364 on: April 06, 2016, 11:01:52 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 06, 2016, 10:23:03 AM
My favorite Cub is Mark Grace. That may be an odd choice, but I played 1B as a kid and learned a lot about hitting by watching his AB's.

My favorite current Cub is Kris Bryant, but this roster is so full of players that you just can't hate.

Rizzo is definitely the heartbeat of the clubhouse. Look back on when he first arrived. You remember him? Timid? Quiet? I think it all turned around the moment he decided he wanted to close hand fistfight Aroldis Chapman in Cincinnati. It's been a good time watching him morph into the player and teammate he is today.

I already have Bryant and Soler shirseys, I root for Bryant and Schwarber and Soler with the might and hope of a trillion suns, and just last night when Rizzo sent that dong a flying into the fake rocks in Anaheim, I looked deep inside myself and realized I've been taking Tony Ballgame for granted all this time.

Gotta get that shirsey.

ETA: I completely forgot about Kerry Wood. I'm sorry, Kerry. I'm sorry, world. (I had a Kerry Wood shirsey.)

That HR to dead center last night was the tits. Thanks, Padres!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #365 on: April 06, 2016, 11:02:37 AM »

LaStella
Lackey

Zobrist is a Jesus freak.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #366 on: April 06, 2016, 11:04:01 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on April 06, 2016, 10:51:25 AM
Rizzo's dangerously close to leapfrogging Dawson as my #2 all-time. He is the fucking balls.

I feel like having FAVORITE PLAYERS at my age is extremely childish. But then LeBron's dong falls out of my mouth and I realize I'm a fucking fetus. That said, it's hard to pick a favorite on this team. Arrieta has to be it for me though. He is everything that is man.

I like the idea that having a favorite team of adults wearing matching pajamas who play stickball (to the point that we spend hours posting about them on the internet and invest our blood, sweat, tears, and money) is an adult thing, but picking ONE of those pajama wearing players that you like more than any of the others is childish.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #367 on: April 06, 2016, 11:04:12 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on April 06, 2016, 11:02:37 AM

LaStella
Lackey

Isn't it easier to point out ball players who AREN'T Jesus freaks?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #368 on: April 06, 2016, 11:11:51 AM »

LaStella
Lackey

Many ballplayers are.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #369 on: April 06, 2016, 11:13:17 AM »
Quote from: Bort on April 06, 2016, 11:04:12 AM

LaStella
Lackey

Isn't it easier to point out ball players who AREN'T Jesus freaks?

I also don't think that's hateable as long as they're not all Tebow-grandstanding about it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #370 on: April 06, 2016, 11:19:27 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 06, 2016, 11:04:01 AM

I like the idea that having a favorite team of adults wearing matching pajamas who play stickball (to the point that we spend hours posting about them on the internet and invest our blood, sweat, tears, and money) is an adult thing, but picking ONE of those pajama wearing players that you like more than any of the others is childish.

Then you lead a sad, hollow life.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #371 on: April 06, 2016, 11:21:20 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on April 06, 2016, 11:19:27 AM

He will not disagree with you.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #372 on: April 06, 2016, 11:34:57 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 06, 2016, 11:21:20 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on April 06, 2016, 11:19:27 AM

He will not disagree with you.

Did either of you realize I was responding to Apex saying having a favorite player is childish? I literally talked about my favorite Cubs players evar like, right at the start of this whole digression.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #373 on: April 06, 2016, 11:42:25 AM »

I think this is possibly an example of how I aggravate those of you who care to be aggravated by me: I don't like wearing jerseys to the ballpark/Cubs events. But I wear jerseys all the time at home, especially in summer and on the weekends when I'm teaching.

I desperately want a good Rizzo jersey, but the new home uniforms are hideous. HIDEOUS, because of the stupid cool-base technology or whatever the fuck they're calling it. I don't want to spend $250 on a jersey that'll resemble having a diaper attached if I'm wearing it untucked, which I certainly will be doing.
M'lady.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #374 on: April 06, 2016, 11:46:32 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on April 06, 2016, 11:42:25 AM

I think this is possibly an example of how I aggravate those of you who care to be aggravated by me: I don't like wearing jerseys to the ballpark/Cubs events. But I wear jerseys all the time at home, especially in summer and on the weekends when I'm teaching.

I desperately want a good Rizzo jersey, but the new home uniforms are hideous. HIDEOUS, because of the stupid cool-base technology or whatever the fuck they're calling it. I don't want to spend $250 on a jersey that'll resemble having a diaper attached if I'm wearing it untucked, which I certainly will be doing.

I'm not one to judge a man for wearing a jersey. I'm not one to wear an actual jersey in the literal sense of a button up replica. But, I do have a Kris Bryant dri-fit shirsey. I have been scouring the interwebs for other Cubs available in the dri-fit shirsey market, but I have found none. I hate the 100% cotton shirseys by Majestic. They fit weird.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"