News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ronald Riska  ( 1,993 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Ronald Riska
« on: June 16, 2010, 12:37:25 AM »
None of you have ever heard of Ronnie Riska.  Ronnie was my best boyhood friend from age 5 to age 13 when my family moved from Chicago to California.  He lived down the street.  We were in the same grade until my  teachers discovered that I was too smart for my class so they skipped me up a year.  But outside of school we were inseparable.  We were always teammates when we played football or clincher softball or street hockey.  We played marbles and  hide and seek, toy soldiers, pirates and WAR.  I was the only Jew on the block and Ronnie called himself a Bohunk Looteran, but if anyone want to mess with me they had to deal with Ronnie first.  Once the big kids tried to turn Ronnie on me and force him fight me. He began to cry and swung wildly at them instead.  We loved the weeks after Christmas because  we would collect all of the discarded Christmas trees and build snow forts.  We loved the Cubs.  We never spent any money because we needed it to take the street car to Wrigley and buy bleacher seats.  We went to dozens of games that way.  We saw Jackie Robinson in his rookie season at Wrigley.  Ronnie was a great natural athlete, and something of a daredevil.  If Ronnie hadn't been my friend and playmate I probably would have been an entirely different person.  But as we entered our early teens I was developing other interests in academics and  art, and we started to go our separate ways.  Then we moved to California and I lost touch with Ronnie.  Last week, for no reason that I can understand, over 61 years later, I remembered Ronnie out of the blue and Googled him.  The only thing that came up was his obituary.  He died a couple of weeks ago.  Don't ask me to explain why I thought about him.  I don't believe in the supernatural.  I am not mourning the Ronald F. Riska, military veteran and beloved husband and father in the obituary. I didn't know him.  I mourn the Ronnie of my youth.  I mourn for my own youth.  Sorry to ruin your fun.  I don't like to post in the Dead Pool because at my age one takes it too seriously. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ronald Riska
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 07:28:32 AM »
There's not much else to say other than I'm sorry for your loss Stew.
At the very least you have some very good memories of a best friend.
I'm guessing that given what I've learned about your character since I've been here is that Ronnie probably had the same fond memories of you.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 07:44:55 AM »
Sorry for your loss, Stew.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:22:48 AM »

Stew, having met you, I can testify that your youth is still in full bloom.

Sorry for your loss.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:29:26 AM »
Condolences, Stew.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:34:46 AM »
Well written Stew. I hope I'm as cool as you when I'm that age.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 10:28:58 AM »
There was another swirl of water on the surface of the pool and then I could not see The Grand Old Trout any more. When the pool cleared again, The Grand Old Trout was gone. I stared at the place where he had been in the river. It was empty now like a room.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 12:19:53 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 16, 2010, 09:34:46 AM

A thousand times.  THI.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 16, 2010, 12:19:53 PM
Quote from: Slaky on June 16, 2010, 09:34:46 AM

A thousand times.  THI.

Agreed and ditto.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 07:29:09 AM »
I'm just glad it wasn't Ronnie Rifkin.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.