News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive  ( 101,826 )

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2010, 10:49:13 AM »
Quote from: R-V on April 05, 2010, 09:35:56 AM
Quote from: Slaky on April 05, 2010, 08:54:05 AM
Quote from: R-V on April 05, 2010, 08:52:59 AM
According to this site

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=G&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Sims was the 8th best guard in the league last year. Anyone heard of this site/know of any others that rank players at positions that are more subjective than QB or running back (offensive line, DBs)?

Nope, I'll take this site's word for it. But if the Bears don't get Sims, I'll declare this site as hocus-pocus bullshit.

I just noticed that they have 4 offensive tackles rated as worse than Orlando Pace last year. And Peanut as the 82nd best CB. Maybe it is Grade A bullplop.

Ranking Pace 73 of 77 sounds about right.

I'm not so sure that, as much as I love Tillman, that he has had good years the last two. 
In 2007 it ranks him at #3 overall.  Football evaluation and advanced stat stuff is a
mystery to me because there's so much team interaction that I don't know how you
can reliably assign things like which defender has what coverage, particularly in the
case where things break down.  I mean, it's easy to identify good plays, but when a
receiver ends up wide open it's frequently a guessing game of who blew the coverage.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #241 on: April 05, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »
Quote from: Pre on April 05, 2010, 10:49:13 AM
According to this site

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=G&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Sims was the 8th best guard in the league last year. Anyone heard of this site/know of any others that rank players at positions that are more subjective than QB or running back (offensive line, DBs)?

Nope, I'll take this site's word for it. But if the Bears don't get Sims, I'll declare this site as hocus-pocus bullshit.

I just noticed that they have 4 offensive tackles rated as worse than Orlando Pace last year. And Peanut as the 82nd best CB. Maybe it is Grade A bullplop.

I'm not so sure that, as much as I love Tillman, that he has had good years the last two. 
In 2007 it ranks him at #3 overall.  Football evaluation and advanced stat stuff is a
mystery to me because there's so much team interaction that I don't know how you
can reliably assign things like which defender has what coverage, particularly in the
case where things break down.  I mean, it's easy to identify good plays, but when a
receiver ends up wide open it's frequently a guessing game of who blew the coverage.

I'm glad Pre sayed that and not me. Because if I had attempted to make sense of it, I would have sounded like a blubbering buffoon. So...
THI

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #242 on: April 05, 2010, 11:29:13 AM »
Quote from: Pre on April 05, 2010, 10:49:13 AM
According to this site

Agreed. I know Peanut hasn't been top notch the last couple years, I just find it hard to believe he's been THAT bad.

I'd guess the offensive line rankings are much more reliable than the DB rankings. Linemen are generally are given a specific assignment on each play, so if you go back and review every play it's not too subjective to determine whether or not he blocked the guy he was supposed to.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #243 on: April 05, 2010, 11:56:13 AM »
Quote from: R-V on April 05, 2010, 11:29:13 AM
Agreed. I know Peanut hasn't been top notch the last couple years, I just find it hard to believe he's been THAT bad.

I don't think he's been _THAT_ bad as a player himself, but I don't think
he's played an effective CB as far as stopping opposing teams because in
some part (I'd argue large, others can argue small if they'd like) the scheme
he has played in is not good at stopping the pass.  The amount of time that
opposing QBs have to throw the ball is such a huge factor on pass coverage
success for any defensive player, I think any attempt to compare defensive
backs' effectiveness at any kind of fine grain is mostly worthless until you can
factor that in at some level.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #244 on: April 05, 2010, 12:02:30 PM »
It's moot - according to everyone in the NFL, Sims is being traded to Detroit.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #245 on: April 05, 2010, 12:37:35 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 05, 2010, 12:02:30 PM

Why would the Bears waste a 5th round pick on a starting left guard when they could draft another Claude Harriot or Airese Currie?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #246 on: April 05, 2010, 12:44:59 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 05, 2010, 12:37:35 PM
Quote from: Slaky on April 05, 2010, 12:02:30 PM

Why would the Bears waste a 5th round pick on a starting left guard when they could draft another Claude Harriot or Airese Currie?

Currie had a good year....for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #247 on: April 12, 2010, 04:24:54 PM »
Hopefully Pisa Tino will be healthy next year.  He's been re-signed for next season.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2010, 11:33:19 AM »
OK, so in the last 24 hours:

- A Bears schedule that includes a lot of early season home games, which might be good, because they'll be limping in the final five or six weeks as well as a trip to Canada;
- The planned retirement of Michael McCaskey as Chairman of the Board and the announced successor, George McCaskey.
- The hints the Bears keep dropping that Olsen could be dealt. Maybe the Bears want a 2nd or 3rd round pick this weekend?
- The re-signing of Nick Roach to a tender sheet. Whither Helen Huntermeyer?
- The announcement of the "throwback" jerseys the Bears will wear a few times this year to celebrate 90 years; About 30 of those years were good; 15 decent; and 45 forgettable.

None of these developments, save for an Olsen trade, changes the overall shittiness of the team. Anyone care?

You will in a week when the Cubs get swept by the Mets and Brewers, the Predators and Cavs advance to the second round and what else will we have?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2010, 11:39:04 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on April 21, 2010, 11:33:19 AM

- A Bears schedule that includes a lot of early season home games, which might be good, because they'll be limping in the final five or six weeks as well as a trip to Canada;
- The planned retirement of Michael McCaskey as Chairman of the Board and the announced successor, George McCaskey.
- The hints the Bears keep dropping that Olsen could be dealt. Maybe the Bears want a 2nd or 3rd round pick this weekend?
- The announcement of the "throwback" jerseys the Bears will wear a few times this year to celebrate 90 years; About 30 of those years were good; 15 decent; and 45 forgettable.

None of these developments, save for an Olsen trade, changes the overall shittiness of the team. Anyone care?

You will in a week when the Cubs get swept by the Mets and Brewers, the Predators and Cavs advance to the second round and what else will we have?

I don't think Olsen's going anywhere, unless they just want to dump him.  Anquan Boldin was traded for a 3rd and 4th round draft pick, and he's actually good.  Olsen might command a 5th or 6th round choice.  Meh.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2010, 12:16:04 PM »

Bear down 2010 Chicago Bears! Because you'll have no other choice.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #251 on: April 21, 2010, 12:38:59 PM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on April 21, 2010, 12:16:04 PM

At least we have soccer.

"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #252 on: April 21, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »
Quote from: CT III on April 21, 2010, 11:39:04 AM
I don't think Olsen's going anywhere, unless they just want to dump him.  Anquan Boldin was traded for a 3rd and 4th round draft pick, and he's actually good.  Olsen might command a 5th or 6th round choice.  Meh.

Agreed.  Tony Scheffler just went for a 5th round pick.  Olsen might have a little more value than Scheffler, but probably not more than a round.  Why unload him just so Angelo can draft the next Craig Steltz?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #253 on: April 21, 2010, 12:44:51 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on April 21, 2010, 12:38:59 PM
Quote from: Waco Kid on April 21, 2010, 12:16:04 PM

At least we have soccer.

No we fucking don't.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #254 on: April 21, 2010, 01:01:17 PM »
How  about lacrosse?

"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."