News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Tony LaRussa Appreciation Thread  ( 16,412 )

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
Re: Tony LaRussa Appreciation Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »
I used to have a deep seated disdain for abortion until this baseball season came along...

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2011, 11:30:48 AM »
Quote from: CT III on October 31, 2011, 11:08:54 AM
So, Corey Patterson has a World Series ring now?  I'm gonna blame Chuck for all of this.

And Ryan "Right Side of the Rivalry" Theriot too.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2011, 11:48:46 AM »
Well, if the Ex-Cub Factor is no longer valid, maybe that Billy Goat thing is on its last legs too. Huzzah!
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2011, 11:59:11 AM »
Speaking about Larussa, how f'ng dumb is ron washington? He has to be the worst manager in baseball, including quade.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2011, 12:30:32 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 31, 2011, 11:48:46 AM
Well, if the Ex-Cub Factor is no longer valid, maybe that Billy Goat thing is on its last legs too. Huzzah!

IIRC, the Ex-Cub Factor required a minimum of three ex Cubs.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2011, 01:09:01 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 31, 2011, 12:30:32 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 31, 2011, 11:48:46 AM

IIRC, the Ex-Cub Factor required a minimum of three ex Cubs.

2001 Diamondbacks rendered it moot.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »
Quote from: BH on October 31, 2011, 11:59:11 AM
Speaking about Larussa, how f'ng dumb is ron washington? He has to be the worst manager in baseball, including quade.

I haven't really been paying attention.  What did he do (or not do)?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 31, 2011, 01:48:15 PM

It's dusty level shit. If your pitcher is ok, but not lights out, you never take him out to pinch hit for him, doesn't matter if anyone is in scoring position in a close game, because you can get 1-2 more mediocre innings out of him. When a pitcher comes up to bat, he must bunt. Doesn't matter the circumstance, who's on base, etc. If you have one of the best closers in baseball and he struggles the game before, you bench him when you have a 2 run lead with the bottom of the order coming up (and the pitcher has to hit in the 3rd spot, since larussa used his entire bench). Instead, you bring in Darren Oliver, who hasn't closed this year. Also, since the cardinals offense is a real juggernaut, you must intentionally walk anyone and everyone. Texas intentionally walked 21 batters all year, I think he intentionally walked 10 cardinals in the world series.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2011, 02:48:10 PM »
Quote from: BH on October 31, 2011, 01:56:51 PM

It's dusty level shit. If your pitcher is ok, but not lights out, you never take him out to pinch hit for him, doesn't matter if anyone is in scoring position in a close game, because you can get 1-2 more mediocre innings out of him. When a pitcher comes up to bat, he must bunt. Doesn't matter the circumstance, who's on base, etc. If you have one of the best closers in baseball and he struggles the game before, you bench him when you have a 2 run lead with the bottom of the order coming up (and the pitcher has to hit in the 3rd spot, since larussa used his entire bench). Instead, you bring in Darren Oliver, who hasn't closed this year. Also, since the cardinals offense is a real juggernaut, you must intentionally walk anyone and everyone. Texas intentionally walked 21 batters all year, I think he intentionally walked 10 cardinals in the world series.

TL;DR: Everything the two managers did in the World Series was borderline retarded.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2011, 12:07:31 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 31, 2011, 02:48:10 PM

TL;DR: Everything the two managers did in the World Series was borderline retarded.

I have had numerous conversations with "baseball fans"  who rave about game six as the greatest baseball game that they have ever seen.  I respond that it was probably the worst played and managed game in World Series history.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2011, 12:15:39 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 01, 2011, 12:07:31 PM

I have had numerous conversations with "baseball fans"  who rave about game six as the greatest baseball game that they have ever seen.  I respond that it was probably the worst played and managed game in World Series history.

And then what did Fork and Huey say?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2011, 12:26:46 PM »
Exciting to watch, that's my takeaway.  I used to say that I'd like a 1-0 pitchers duel, but unless a Cubs pitcher is striking out 20 or has a no-no, fuck that. I like my baseball games with HRs, errors, and managing mistakes (as long as its not the cubs making the errors and mistakes).

Thanks, Tony and Ron for being ruhtarded that game. And David, Fuck you.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2011, 12:50:33 PM »
Quote from: BH on November 01, 2011, 12:15:39 PM
Quote from: CBStew on November 01, 2011, 12:07:31 PM

I haven't really been paying attention.  What did he do (or not do)?

I have had numerous conversations with "baseball fans"  who rave about game six as the greatest baseball game that they have ever seen.  I respond that it was probably the worst played and managed game in World Series history.

And then what did Fork and Huey say?

I said the Rollings Stones sucks the rotting taint of your ancestors.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »
"have the Rollings Stones killed."
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2011, 05:00:58 PM »
Quote from: Bort on November 01, 2011, 01:13:34 PM
"have the Rollings Stones killed."

But, Bort, those aren't the...
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.