News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers  ( 203,046 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2009, 10:30:52 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 11, 2009, 10:24:51 AM
Quote from: CT III on September 10, 2009, 10:59:03 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 10, 2009, 10:26:04 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 10, 2009, 10:20:14 PM
Quote from: Reuschels_Jowls on September 10, 2009, 10:02:10 PM
Quote from: Andy on September 10, 2009, 08:32:16 AM
Allow me to praise David Huh for a moment.

When it comes to sucking, nobody does it harder.

Eh. I don't mind Haugh. The way I see it, anything that means less Rick Morrissey is a positive development.

I don't think this means less Morrissey. If you like Haugh's jokes though, you might like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUEtlPYbgo

I don't care for his jokes, but he doesn't provoke my ANGER like Morrissey does. I would hunt Morrissey for blood sport. I would place him on an island, and then I would drop in by helicopter on the other side, and I would stalk him until I found him, then I would slowly circle around him in the woods, causing him to snap his head and panic at each rustle. Only when he begged for death and apologized for his every word would I grant him the mercy of the reaper's icy hands.

Oh, and I like Brad Biggs.

I like Brad Biggs too.  He does the work of 5 regular men, while only being the size of 3.

Seriously though, when the Sun-Time ultimately collapses beneath the weight of its own FAIL, are all these guys going to work at The Score?

Nope.  ChicagoNow.

True that.  They'll take anyone.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2009, 10:36:43 AM »

Eh. I don't mind Haugh. The way I see it, anything that means less Rick Morrissey is a positive development.

I don't think this means less Morrissey. If you like Haugh's jokes though, you might like this:

I don't care for his jokes, but he doesn't provoke my ANGER like Morrissey does. I would hunt Morrissey for blood sport. I would place him on an island, and then I would drop in by helicopter on the other side, and I would stalk him until I found him, then I would slowly circle around him in the woods, causing him to snap his head and panic at each rustle. Only when he begged for death and apologized for his every word would I grant him the mercy of the reaper's icy hands.

I like Brad Biggs too.  He does the work of 5 regular men, while only being the size of 3.

Seriously though, when the Sun-Time ultimately collapses beneath the weight of its own FAIL, are all these guys going to work at The Score?

Nope.  ChicagoNow.

It looks like the Guild might not budge and make the concessions that would make the STNG attractive enough for James Tyree to buy (for less than what it cost Hendry to buy Milton Bradley, by the way). If he walks away, it will be an awesome win for the union as liquidation occurs and you see the last edition hit the street before the Bears' first bye week.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2009, 11:20:22 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 11, 2009, 10:36:43 AM

Nope.  ChicagoNow.

It looks like the Guild might not budge and make the concessions that would make the STNG attractive enough for James Tyree to buy (for less than what it cost Hendry to buy Milton Bradley, by the way). If he walks away, it will be an awesome win for the union as liquidation occurs and you see the last edition hit the street before the Bears' first bye week.

Yeah, those fuckin' bums.  Unions.  Who needs them?

Especially when you read the proposal:

QuoteDuring the past week, union employees had become aware of Sun-Times Media's request to continue 15 percent compensation cuts negotiated after the company's Chapter 11 filing in March.

The Sun-Times reported Wednesday night that the company wants to extend those cuts for three years regardless of when union contracts expire. Furlough days also would be eliminated, and retirement benefits scaled back.

But the proposed cuts outlined Thursday went even deeper. They would limit severance pay to four weeks, eliminate seniority, allow the company to move workers from location to location, and assign more union work to non-union workers, Thibeault said.

Why even have a union if the proposal would essentially tear the union apart?  Those fucking rabblerousers; they should just take whatever the enlightened and beneficent management gives them.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2009, 11:41:20 AM »
Anything that eliminates seniority is doing great work--and most of the benefits described are probably insane relative to the strength of the business and the industry as a whole.

The benefits that a union can capture shouldn't be independent of the health of the business, but instead, they should be dependent on it.  I'm in favor of businesses going to some model of modest benefits for all (whether it be CEO or entry-level employee) and then using profitability as the sole determining factor in doling out extra benefits on a year-to-year basis.

If you can't run a profitable company, you don't deserve bonuses.  If your company isn't profitable, excessive union demands shouldn't make the bottom line worse.

But anymore unions--especially the auto and public sector ones--are awful entities that need to have a sledgehammer taken to them until what's left is weak and unrecognizable.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2009, 11:49:50 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on September 11, 2009, 11:41:20 AM
But anymore unions--especially the auto and public sector ones--are awful entities that need to have a sledgehammer taken to them until what's left is weak and unrecognizable.

Is this in green font?

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2009, 11:58:09 AM »
Quote from: BH on September 11, 2009, 11:49:50 AM

Is this in green font?

I pray that it is, but know that it isn't.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2009, 12:30:24 PM »
Anything that eliminates seniority is doing great work--

Says the guy in his twenties.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2009, 12:34:39 PM »
So no Troy Polamalu for three-to-six.

Huge?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2009, 12:37:54 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on September 11, 2009, 11:20:22 AM
Quote from: Brownie on September 11, 2009, 10:36:43 AM

Nope.  ChicagoNow.

Yeah, those fuckin' bums.  Unions.  Who needs them?

Especially when you read the proposal:

QuoteDuring the past week, union employees had become aware of Sun-Times Media's request to continue 15 percent compensation cuts negotiated after the company's Chapter 11 filing in March.

The Sun-Times reported Wednesday night that the company wants to extend those cuts for three years regardless of when union contracts expire. Furlough days also would be eliminated, and retirement benefits scaled back.

But the proposed cuts outlined Thursday went even deeper. They would limit severance pay to four weeks, eliminate seniority, allow the company to move workers from location to location, and assign more union work to non-union workers, Thibeault said.

Why even have a union if the proposal would essentially tear the union apart?  Those fucking rabblerousers; they should just take whatever the enlightened and beneficent management gives them.

Well James Tyree can walk away and the Sun-Times' CEO can promise them 1,000 percent pay increases and $500,000 bonuses for every time someone says a novena for the Guild effective Nov. 1, and the union can collect checks from an empty treasury. Yay?

And mostly what CFiHP said. I was actually a member of the Guild. The work rules they instituted did not befit the actual duties of a journalist. So... we all had to basically fill in our "37 1/2 hour" time cards for work when we did significantly more than that and when we did significantly less than that. When layoffs came, they lopped from the bottom. Performance was never a factor in pay, in who got to keep their job, etc. You basically knew that if you just showed up every day and half-assed it, you'd get the same bonus as you would if you actually cared about the job.

But anyway, James Tyree is risking $25MM of his own money to buy the Sun-Times. Plenty of people wouldn't risk crossing the street to own the Sun-Times. Then again, Tyree could start his own Chicago general-news publication for about that much in late October when the Sun-Times ceases to be. I know journalists are hot commodities these days. You can't find an out-of-work writer for anything!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2009, 01:04:38 PM »
Quote from: Slak on September 11, 2009, 12:34:39 PM
So no Troy Polamalu for three-to-six.

Huge?

Yes.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2009, 02:12:19 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 11, 2009, 12:37:54 PM
You can't find an out-of-work writer for anything!

Mike & Mark Kiley, October 5th PUCKCAST, Ogdens.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2009, 03:10:07 PM »
The benefits that a union can capture shouldn't be independent of the health of the business, but instead, they should be dependent on it.  I'm in favor of businesses going to some model of modest benefits for all (whether it be CEO or entry-level employee) and then using profitability as the sole determining factor in doling out extra benefits on a year-to-year basis.

If you can't run a profitable company, you don't deserve bonuses.  If your company isn't profitable, excessive union demands shouldn't make the bottom line worse.

I hate to comment on this kinds of stuff in a Bears thread, but I caved and
here we are...

You need to factor in a lot more than profitability, as it would result in the same
crazy that stock option compensation to CEOs (and such) have caused over the
last decade.  There's a lot of ways to create shorter term profitability (and related
stock price increases) at significant costs to long term company health.  A very
basic example is not investing in R&D and future project ramp up to artificially
push down costs and reaping the rewards of the money invested in past projects.

While I agree ultimately you need a system where employees are motivated to
contribute to the overall health of the company, I think it's more about a culture
of shared work, risks, and rewards.  I also think the same about countries, so I'm
probably a crazy hippy so feel free to disagree without a need to respond.

To bring it back to sports, some strained metaphor to the Cub's farm system, or
lack there of.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2009, 03:13:20 PM »
Quote from: Pre on September 11, 2009, 03:10:07 PM
I hate to comment on this kinds of stuff in a Bears thread, but I caved and
here we are...

This thread is unique in that it got a little off track.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2009, 03:32:50 PM »
No. No battles over trade unions. Football is pure. Keep politics out of it, damnit. No more. The line must be drawn hyah! This far, no further! And I will make you Pay for what you have done!
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2009, 03:38:13 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 11, 2009, 03:32:50 PM
No. No battles over trade unions. Football is pure. Keep politics out of it, damnit. No more. The line must be drawn hyah! This far, no further! And I will make you Pay for what you have done!

Only pure football is discussed at VRGITHOF.com.