News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: McCaskey Family/Chicago Park District Cheap/Dumbassery Thread  ( 15,650 )

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
McCaskey Family/Chicago Park District Cheap/Dumbassery Thread
« on: September 17, 2009, 08:10:23 AM »
After work last Saturday I stopped in with some co-workers for a beer at a downtown bar and I was surprised to see how many people were in there on a Saturday.  Turns out, they were having a drink before heading out to see U2 at Soldier.  It didn't occur to me, at thte time, how stupid it is to have 2 concerts on a field one week before the first football game of the season.  So now, they're going to plant some new sod.  Umm, great?

That field sucks.  I went to the last preseason game and couldn't believe how piss poor it looked.  Now they get new sod that'll hardly have a chance to settle.  The problem is that the McCaskeys and the CPD just pass the buck when it comes to maintenance--part of yet another weird, byzantine relationship that is prevalent in Chicago, but the solution would be for the McCaskeys to step up and throw down some cash and hire Roger Bossard to take care of that abortion of a football field.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: McCaskey Family/Chicago Park District Cheap/Dumbassery Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:15:49 AM »
Quote from: MAD on September 17, 2009, 08:10:23 AM
After work last Saturday I stopped in with some co-workers for a beer at a downtown bar and I was surprised to see how many people were in there on a Saturday.  Turns out, they were having a drink before heading out to see U2 at Soldier.  It didn't occur to me, at thte time, how stupid it is to have 2 concerts on a field one week before the first football game of the season.  So now, they're going to plant some new sod.  Umm, great?

That field sucks.  I went to the last preseason game and couldn't believe how piss poor it looked.  Now they get new sod that'll hardly have a chance to settle.  The problem is that the McCaskeys and the CPD just pass the buck when it comes to maintenance--part of yet another weird, byzantine relationship that is prevalent in Chicago, but the solution would be for the McCaskeys to step up and throw down some cash and hire Roger Bossard to take care of that abortion of a football field.

and, for fuck's sake, put up a Payton statue.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 08:19:55 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 17, 2009, 08:15:49 AM
Quote from: MAD on September 17, 2009, 08:10:23 AM

and, for fuck's sake, put up a Payton statue.

Word. 
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 08:47:21 AM »
On the plus side, maybe we'll get to see Michael Gaines with a 12x14 piece of sod stuck in his facemask, giving entirely new avatar possibilities.

On the down side, Matt Forte could tear all of his knee ligaments while making a cut.

Win some, lose some.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 08:50:46 AM »
If they insist on having high school games and concerts and the occasional college game on that field (which they should) they have to put in field turf.  If Goddell had any balls he would force the Steelers and Bears to both do it.  The Patriots did it and it's really slowed the progress of that franchise.  They've been just awful the last three and a half years.  Hell, the Pats did it in a week.  The Bears remember, they did it just for them.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 08:54:50 AM »
Quote from: Andy on September 17, 2009, 08:50:46 AM
If they insist on having high school games and concerts and the occasional college game on that field (which they should) they have to put in field turf.  If Goddell had any balls he would force the Steelers and Bears to both do it.  The Patriots did it and it's really slowed the progress of that franchise.  They've been just awful the last three and a half years.  Hell, the Pats did it in a week.  The Bears remember, they did it just for them.

Don't know about now, but in the 70s, the Astroturf at Hansen Park was better than the shit at Soldier Field, which was like running on a pool table.

Have the City Championship games there, and college games when the Bears are out of town. Otherwise, don't put any additional wear on the field during the NFL season.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 09:23:49 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 17, 2009, 08:54:50 AM
Have the City Championship games there, and college games when the Bears are out of town. Otherwise, don't put any additional wear on the field during the NFL season.
Heckuva return on the $650 million taxpayer investment there, Forky.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 09:25:08 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 17, 2009, 09:23:49 AM

How much do you really think they made off U2 there Chucky?
TIME TO POST!

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 09:44:13 AM »
Quote from: Andy on September 17, 2009, 08:50:46 AM

This.

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 09:52:19 AM »
Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to spend 3-4 million to put in field turf instead of constantly replacing the sod?

I wonder which connected developer has the contract to re-sod the field.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 10:12:15 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 17, 2009, 09:25:08 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 17, 2009, 09:23:49 AM

How much do you really think they made off U2 there Chucky?
More than $0.  It's a public venue.  We paid for it.  Book 600 events per year, please.  If the Bears don't like that?  Fucking move and build their own fucking place.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 11:19:35 AM »
Quote from: fiveouts on September 17, 2009, 09:52:19 AM
Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to spend 3-4 million to put in field turf instead of constantly replacing the sod?

It would absolutely be cheaper.  Hell, there are high schools who have put it in because in the long run it's cheaper than trying to water, mow, reseed, paint the lines, etc. on real grass.

Plus, Lovie tries to fill his team with fast guys, why not take better advantage of that speed?  

I honestly think the only reason there's grass there is because of all the meatheads who think the Bears play "real football" on "real grass."  (Even if it's mostly painted dirt by week six.)  

I remember the Bears and the Park District taking a public victory lap when they tore up the awful old AstroTurf and put grass in 20 years ago.

You could argue pretty convincingly that spending what they did on Soldier Field and not putting a roof on it anyway was a terrible mistake.  Because really, why would Chicago ever want to host a Final Four or a Super Bowl, or the Olympics, or something silly like that?

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »
Quote from: Andy on September 17, 2009, 11:19:35 AM
Quote from: fiveouts on September 17, 2009, 09:52:19 AM

It would absolutely be cheaper.  Hell, there are high schools who have put it in because in the long run it's cheaper than trying to water, mow, reseed, paint the lines, etc. on real grass.

Plus, Lovie tries to fill his team with fast guys, why not take better advantage of that speed?  

I honestly think the only reason there's grass there is because of all the meatheads who think the Bears play "real football" on "real grass."  (Even if it's mostly painted dirt by week six.)  

I remember the Bears and the Park District taking a public victory lap when they tore up the awful old AstroTurf and put grass in 20 years ago.

You could argue pretty convincingly that spending what they did on Soldier Field and not putting a roof on it anyway was a terrible mistake.  Because really, why would Chicago ever want to host a Final Four or a Super Bowl, or the Olympics, or something silly like that?

They could have gone retractble, thus preventing any meathead fears that football should only be played outside in "Bears weather"

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 11:28:10 AM »
I'll bet they don't put in Field Turf because I believe World Cup socceer will only play on natural grass.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 11:38:17 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on September 17, 2009, 11:28:10 AM
I'll bet they don't put in Field Turf because I believe World Cup socceer will only play on natural grass.

Could anybody win a bet with you on what you believe in? 
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!