News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Borb Brenly is the Truth.  ( 20,413 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Borb Brenly is the Truth.
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
Anyone got the clip of Chip nearly calling another base hit on a flyout to left?

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2009, 11:23:49 AM »
That DeRosa play was a thing of beauty.

It didn't necessarily hurt the team; the extent of his dumbassery was that Wolfe ended the inning by fanning, and if the DeRo HeRo had made the play at 1, then the Dodgers would have either started off the next inning with Wolfe or the #8 hitter batting,  instead of the top of the order.

Why he was thinking double play there is beyond my powers of comprehension.  With Casey Blake batting, DeRosa would have had an easy out at 1.  Double plays and Mark DeRosa do not go together well in the palyoffs, unless he's rolling into one himself.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2009, 11:44:15 AM »
Man, the Cardinal fans at work today are awfully quiet.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2009, 11:44:28 AM »
Quote from: MAD on October 08, 2009, 11:23:49 AM
That DeRosa play was a thing of beauty.

It didn't necessarily hurt the team; the extent of his dumbassery was that Wolfe ended the inning by fanning, and if the DeRo HeRo had made the play at 1, then the Dodgers would have either started off the next inning with Wolfe or the #8 hitter batting,  instead of the top of the order.

Why he was thinking double play there is beyond my powers of comprehension.  With Casey Blake batting, DeRosa would have had an easy out at 1.  Double plays and Mark DeRosa do not go together well in the palyoffs, unless he's rolling into one himself.

(fist pump)
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2009, 11:59:37 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on October 08, 2009, 11:44:15 AM

Yea they are.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2009, 12:21:55 PM »

Anyone know if TDubbs is partying in St Louis with the girl he met the night of the rooftop outing?

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2009, 12:24:19 PM »
Quote from: BH on October 08, 2009, 12:21:55 PM

Anyone know if TDubbs is partying in St Louis with the girl he met the night of the rooftop outing?

She texted me last night.  She was at some party where a dude put a dress on.  Sounded saaaweet.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2010, 01:15:07 PM »
Bump- "I didn't think I'd ever say this, but CB Buckner was right!"- Oh, Bob. You slay me.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2010, 03:53:54 PM »
Borb told a charming story about Mark Grace today.  He said Mark's numbers against Graeme Lloyd weren't good, but Greg Colbrunn hit really well against him, so he wanted to substitute him in.  Well, he was a rookie manager in 2001, so it was tough to bench a veteran, but Mark said, "If you want him up there, then I want him up there."  What a guy.  Anyway, I checked this out on baseball-reference and it turns out, Colbrunn had only one hit in his career against Lloyd - and it came in 2003.

Since Bob said Colbrunn pinch-hit for Grace, this would have to be the game he's referring to.  He also left out the outcome of the AB today, namely, Colbrunn ended the game on a flyout.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2010, 03:56:27 PM »
DPD.  For comparison, Grace ended up hitting 2-for-3 against Lloyd in his career, although none of those plate appearances came before the game in question.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »
He must have had the wrong pitcher or pinch-hitter or something. Either way he was not teh truth vis-a-vis Graeme Lloyd, was he? But who among us ever is?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2010, 06:19:14 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 02, 2010, 06:02:43 PM
He must have had the wrong pitcher or pinch-hitter or something. Either way he was not teh truth vis-a-vis Graeme Lloyd, was he? But who among us ever is?

The game occurred May 2, 2001, so it was exactly this time of year. Lloyd came in to face the left-handed Grace. So Brenly's memory as to why he did what he did is off, but the anecdote checks out.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2010, 07:01:35 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on May 02, 2010, 06:19:14 PM

The game occurred May 2, 2001, so it was exactly this time of year. Lloyd came in to face the left-handed Grace. So Brenly's memory as to why he did what he did is off, but the anecdote checks out.

Yeah, except he said the statistics say that "Colby" is really good against "this guy".  There's a chance he meant in general, righty-vs-lefty statistics, but it definitely sounded like he was citing specific numbers on that matchup.

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2010, 09:23:03 PM »
Quote from: Day Man on May 02, 2010, 07:01:35 PM

Yeah, except he said the statistics say that "Colby" is really good against "this guy".  There's a chance he meant in general, righty-vs-lefty statistics, but it definitely sounded like he was citing specific numbers on that matchup.

Intrepid Reader: Borb Brenly

Fuckin' internet.  It was just a goddamn story. 

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2010, 09:37:25 PM »
Quote from: fiveouts on May 02, 2010, 09:23:03 PM
Quote from: Day Man on May 02, 2010, 07:01:35 PM

Intrepid Reader: Borb Brenly

Fuckin' internet.  It was just a goddamn story. 

Just trying to get Andy sued, that's all.