News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: What's with the weird new virtual waiting room?  ( 5,706 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: What's with the weird new virtual waiting room?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 01:11:45 PM »
Quote from: CT III on February 25, 2011, 12:54:05 PM
You'll have to forgive Eli.  He's been casting about ever since "For Better or For Worse" ended.

Even worse, Mom won't let me read Hagar the Horrible.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 01:12:33 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 25, 2011, 01:11:45 PM
Quote from: CT III on February 25, 2011, 12:54:05 PM
You'll have to forgive Eli.  He's been casting about ever since "For Better or For Worse" ended.

Even worse, Mom won't let me read Hagar the Horrible.

But Barney Google & Snuffy Smith is okay?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 01:16:38 PM »
Quote from: smg on February 25, 2011, 12:44:11 PM
Quote from: Eli on February 25, 2011, 12:34:24 PM
Quote from: smg on February 25, 2011, 12:04:01 PM
OK, before it was funny.  Now, I'm actually mad.  I just went to pick up the package from the slip they left for no reason.  It's not a real post office, it's a sorting facility -- they don't sell postage, do any of that complicated 98 options for how to send a package stuff, all they do with respect to the public is let you pick up packages.  It went like this: (i) she couldn't find the package, (ii) she couldn't find a scanner, (iii) she found a scanner, but it wasn't working, (iv) she found another scanner, (v) she found the package, (vi) she asked me if I had a pen, (vii) she went looking for a pen, (viii) she let me sign for it.  It took about 10 minutes, while the baby cried. 

The package turned out to be a Nordstrom gift card of indeterminate amount, as a baby present, from distant cousins.  Hey, thanks!  Probably the card isn't enough to cover a mascara from the cosmetics counter, but thanks for the outing!  Now, I have to write a thank you note, and find a stupid mailbox, which for some reason is always harder than it should be.  I know, I sound really grateful.

And did everyone discover that Cubs tickets are on sale at 11 or so?  Because once they kicked me back to the end of the line, I haven't moved up over an inch and it has been over an hour.  They could have warned us that it wasn't random this year -- I didn't join the line till just before 10, as there never seemed to be any advantage in getting in line half an hour before the sales started. 

I totally agree.  I'm much more likely to write a thoughtful, personalized note, if I can type it quickly.  My handwriting is rotten, and the process is hideously annoying.  I had to go buy notes and postage when I was 8 months pregnant and write a zillion notes.  Then I had to write more notes and get them mailed after my c-section, when the baby had to be fed or I was involved in some kind of feeding process 18 hours out of every 24, and was forbidden to drive.  And now that the pace has slowed, I lose all economies of scale, since I have to do them one at a time.  I'm usually driving to a mailbox on the way to someone else, which means stopping and starting the car, which in addition to all the energy spent delivering the mail, and on the cards/stamps is really bad for the earth.  How about an Amazon gift card that can be sent by email and that I can redeem without driving to the mall and spending on something so overpriced, I could have bought it for 30% less on Amazon anyway?

Wow, I had no idea that guys thought the Cathy cartoon was funny.  I find it to be sexist drivel, but that's just me.

You aren't alone.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 07:52:16 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 25, 2011, 11:55:56 AM
Quote from: smg on February 25, 2011, 11:53:15 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 25, 2011, 10:44:19 AM
Quote from: smg on February 25, 2011, 10:38:48 AM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on February 25, 2011, 10:33:21 AM
Quote from: smg on February 25, 2011, 10:31:05 AM
This is already getting old.

What's with the lines at the Post Office?  Why have all those teller windows if only one person is working?

And why do they keep leaving me "Sorry we missed you" notes when I know perfectly well they never rang the bell because I have been home ALL DAY with the baby?

They just wish you'd come and visit more often. Been a while since you've had a chance to chat.

OK, before it was funny.  Now, I'm actually mad.  I just went to pick up the package from the slip they left for no reason.  It's not a real post office, it's a sorting facility -- they don't sell postage, do any of that complicated 98 options for how to send a package stuff, all they do with respect to the public is let you pick up packages.  It went like this: (i) she couldn't find the package, (ii) she couldn't find a scanner, (iii) she found a scanner, but it wasn't working, (iv) she found another scanner, (v) she found the package, (vi) she asked me if I had a pen, (vii) she went looking for a pen, (viii) she let me sign for it.  It took about 10 minutes, while the baby cried. 

The package turned out to be a Nordstrom gift card of indeterminate amount, as a baby present, from distant cousins.  Hey, thanks!  Probably the card isn't enough to cover a mascara from the cosmetics counter, but thanks for the outing!  Now, I have to write a thank you note, and find a stupid mailbox, which for some reason is always harder than it should be.  I know, I sound really grateful.

And did everyone discover that Cubs tickets are on sale at 11 or so?  Because once they kicked me back to the end of the line, I haven't moved up over an inch and it has been over an hour.  They could have warned us that it wasn't random this year -- I didn't join the line till just before 10, as there never seemed to be any advantage in getting in line half an hour before the sales started. 

I hate thank you notes. What a waste of paper. Why can't people accept thank you emails? Let's abolish this archaic, anti-environmental process.

If I send you a gift, I can safely assume you are thankful. If you hate it, I don't care. It's yours now. I don't need confirmation of your gratitude.

I want you to be the Emily Post of the 21st century. Validated.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2011, 08:12:22 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 25, 2011, 11:55:56 AM
I hate thank you notes. What a waste of paper. Why can't people accept thank you emails? Let's abolish this archaic, anti-environmental process.

If I send you a gift, I can safely assume you are thankful. If you hate it, I don't care. It's yours now. I don't need confirmation of your gratitude.

Shut up, dude. If this email thing catches on, I'm screwed.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 09:48:32 PM »

I totally agree.  I'm much more likely to write a thoughtful, personalized note, if I can type it quickly.  My handwriting is rotten, and the process is hideously annoying.  I had to go buy notes and postage when I was 8 months pregnant and write a zillion notes.  Then I had to write more notes and get them mailed after my c-section, when the baby had to be fed or I was involved in some kind of feeding process 18 hours out of every 24, and was forbidden to drive.  And now that the pace has slowed, I lose all economies of scale, since I have to do them one at a time.  I'm usually driving to a mailbox on the way to someone else, which means stopping and starting the car, which in addition to all the energy spent delivering the mail, and on the cards/stamps is really bad for the earth.  How about an Amazon gift card that can be sent by email and that I can redeem without driving to the mall and spending on something so overpriced, I could have bought it for 30% less on Amazon anyway?

Wow, I had no idea that guys thought the Cathy cartoon was funny.  I find it to be sexist drivel, but that's just me.

That's not Cathy.  It's Gail Fischer.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2011, 07:54:53 AM »
Quote from: Andy on February 25, 2011, 09:48:32 PM

That's not Cathy.  It's Gail Fischer.

Intrepid Reader Fro Dog: Hawt.