News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jessica Jones  ( 3,404 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Jessica Jones
« on: December 07, 2015, 09:05:11 AM »
So I assume some of y'all are watching this? I'm about 5 episodes in. Jesus Christ, Kilgrave is fucking terrifying.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jessica Jones
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 09:08:42 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 07, 2015, 09:05:11 AM
So I assume some of y'all are watching this? I'm about 5 episodes in. Jesus Christ, Kilgrave is fucking terrifying.

You'll like it.  13 eps about surviving rape is a bit much, but it's still very good. Krysten Ritter is terrific.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 09:12:29 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 07, 2015, 09:08:42 AM

You'll like it.  13 eps about surviving rape is a bit much, but it's still very good. Krysten Ritter is terrific.

Why
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 09:57:29 AM »
It is an object lesson in how many ways PTSD manifests itself.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 10:01:10 AM »
Quote from: Bort on December 07, 2015, 09:57:29 AM

Yeah I think the exactly problem with so many TV series and movies is that they hand-wave away the traumatic effects of something like this. Iron Man nearly dies saving the world in Avengers, he has like two panic attacks in Iron Man 3 and then bam, he's fine.

That this show is about her trying to overcome her trauma and use it to help people, and doesn't act make her seem weak for "not being over it already" or whatever is what makes the show so good.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 10:04:52 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 07, 2015, 09:12:29 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 07, 2015, 09:08:42 AM

Why

Because 10 or 11 would still be fine.  There's some clear fluff added in to pad it out to 13.

But, yeah. Killgrave is about as good of a baddie as there's been in a long time.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 07, 2015, 10:01:10 AM

Yeah I think the exactly problem with so many TV series and movies is that they hand-wave away the traumatic effects of something like this. Iron Man nearly dies saving the world in Avengers, he has like two panic attacks in Iron Man 3 and then bam, he's fine.

That this show is about her trying to overcome her trauma and use it to help people, and doesn't act make her seem weak for "not being over it already" or whatever is what makes the show so good.

And she's not the only sufferer. Basically ever cast member is dealing with some awful trauma except (to my knowledge) Kilgrave.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 10:07:52 AM »
DPD, I guess Kilgrave is traumatized too (bus accident and all). Also he's a great depiction of a stalker.

It's so disorienting when Tennant is being charming/light because he's basically playing him like the tenth Doctor then.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 10:13:58 AM »
Quote from: Bort on December 07, 2015, 10:07:52 AM
DPD, I guess Kilgrave is traumatized too (bus accident and all). Also he's a great depiction of a stalker.

It's so disorienting when Tennant is being charming/light because he's basically playing him like the tenth Doctor then.

Truly, charming British villains are the most insidious. They all seem like such nice chaps.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 10:41:49 AM »
Quote from: Bort on December 07, 2015, 10:05:16 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 07, 2015, 10:01:10 AM

And she's not the only sufferer. Basically ever cast member is dealing with some awful trauma except (to my knowledge) Kilgrave.

Did you finish?  Spoiler:

Pretty sure you could argue what his parents did was traumatic, regardless who is telling the truth.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 10:43:36 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 07, 2015, 10:13:58 AM

Truly, charming British villains are the most insidious. They all seem like such nice chaps.

Tennant really did some excellent work in this, though. The episode where he explains things from his point of view (8th, I think) was the standout of the series for me.

He says something like "How am I supposed to know if someone is doing what they want? I have to painstakingly choose every word. I once told a man to go screw himself -- can you even imagine how that went?" which was such an obvious drawback to having his power, but something I'd never even considered.

Taking a character who had done nothing but completely monstrous things up to that point and giving him even momentary glimpses of being sympathetic was pretty astounding.

Also, many blessings to the person in wardrobe who dressed Pam.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 02:09:42 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on December 07, 2015, 10:43:36 AM

Tennant really did some excellent work in this, though. The episode where he explains things from his point of view (8th, I think) was the standout of the series for me.

He says something like "How am I supposed to know if someone is doing what they want? I have to painstakingly choose every word. I once told a man to go screw himself -- can you even imagine how that went?" which was such an obvious drawback to having his power, but something I'd never even considered.

Taking a character who had done nothing but completely monstrous things up to that point and giving him even momentary glimpses of being sympathetic was pretty astounding.

They did Pam sooooo wrong in this show. But it was fantastic.

"Not another fucking superhero show" is what my wife said when the Marvel thing appeared at the beginning of ep. 1 but I told her everyone said it's good so if the first one sucks we'll never return. Finished it over Thanksgiving weekend.

Fantastic show and one of the best of this year.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 02:53:49 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 07, 2015, 02:09:42 PM

"Not another fucking superhero show" is what my wife said when the Marvel thing appeared at the beginning of ep. 1 but I told her everyone said it's good so if the first one sucks we'll never return. Finished it over Thanksgiving weekend.

I understand this complaint given the saturation of the market right now but yeah I hope shows like Jessica Jones are really convincing people that superhero shows/movies can be very, very different depending on who they are covering and what angle people are taking. The Flash and Jessica Jones are about as far apart as you can get tonally despite both being excellent. Should hopefully give people pause before dismissing something as just another comic book movie/tv show etc.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 11:34:59 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 07, 2015, 02:53:49 PM

I understand this complaint given the saturation of the market right now but yeah I hope shows like Jessica Jones are really convincing people that superhero shows/movies can be very, very different depending on who they are covering and what angle people are taking. The Flash and Jessica Jones are about as far apart as you can get tonally despite both being excellent. Should hopefully give people pause before dismissing something as just another comic book movie/tv show etc.

Plus, Krysten Ritter.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 11:40:12 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 08, 2015, 11:34:59 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 07, 2015, 02:53:49 PM

Plus, Krysten Ritter.

I was always annoyed by her as the Bitchy, Spunky Sidekick in any number of rom coms but when she's actually given the chance to show some depth she's a good actress. She was great in Breaking Bad and she's wonderful on this.