News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE  ( 99,497 )

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE
« Reply #840 on: August 09, 2016, 01:15:05 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 09, 2016, 01:00:10 PM
DPD, but Brett says that La Stella apparently had a chance to qualify for Super Two status this year and get 4 arbitration years instead of 3 in addition to the year of control thing, so this move undoubtedly cost him some cash, I can understand him being really damn pissed about it.

A chance...

If he is optioned for fewer than 20 days, however, that does not wind up costing an option year and he does get service time credit for those days, even though he was off the 25-man roster.

The plan could have been all along to recall him before than and he could have maintained his chance at Super 2 status.

I feel like there might be a lot more to this, but at the onset it starts with the roster decision to demote him to make room for Coghlan, which was pretty dumb. I really hope they resolve this soon.

Also in the article Maddon mentions (through pics of tweets or whatever) that La Stella is hitting, running, working out in New Jersey. I mean, why not just go play in Iowa then?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #841 on: August 09, 2016, 01:25:11 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on August 09, 2016, 01:15:05 PM
DPD, but Brett says that La Stella apparently had a chance to qualify for Super Two status this year and get 4 arbitration years instead of 3 in addition to the year of control thing, so this move undoubtedly cost him some cash, I can understand him being really damn pissed about it.

A chance...

If he is optioned for fewer than 20 days, however, that does not wind up costing an option year and he does get service time credit for those days, even though he was off the 25-man roster.

The plan could have been all along to recall him before than and he could have maintained his chance at Super 2 status.

I feel like there might be a lot more to this, but at the onset it starts with the roster decision to demote him to make room for Coghlan, which was pretty dumb. I really hope they resolve this soon.

Also in the article Maddon mentions (through pics of tweets or whatever) that La Stella is hitting, running, working out in New Jersey. I mean, why not just go play in Iowa then?

If he truly has family issues, he's working out close to his family.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #842 on: August 09, 2016, 01:41:13 PM »

A chance...

I mean, have you been to Iowa?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #843 on: August 09, 2016, 01:44:03 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on August 09, 2016, 01:41:13 PM

A chance...

Des Moines is quite nice, so f--k you. Also if he's in New Jersey he can be at home with family and do whatever the fuck he wants and not have to ride a bus around to Omaha and eat crappy sandwiches at 2 AM after an extra inning game. Anyway, I don't think it's about his refusal to play minor league ball so much as it is about sending a message to the org that he's pissed.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #844 on: August 09, 2016, 01:51:59 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 05, 2016, 09:04:04 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 05, 2016, 09:02:55 AM
Quote from: PANK! on August 05, 2016, 09:02:01 AM
So what're the next roster moves?  Seems that Coghlan is the one truly expendable player (*knocks on wood*), but who takes his spot--La Stella or Soler, and how does the team fit the other guy on to the roster?  Another month-long "DL trip" for Montero?  Contreras may have cooled off, but he still manages to contribute at various points on the field and in the batters box and anyway, on balance, the team is simply worse with him in Iowa and Montero on the roster.  Miggy ain't gonna get DFA'd, though, so something'll have to be done until September arrives.

Considering they're in Oakland, they could probably add a bat at the expense of a 13th arm (a particularly sensible roll of the dice with their Top 3 starters going), but that only lasts them until Monday. 

Thoughts?

LaStella has AWOL'd himself out of a job, I'd think.

The Cubs have said they gave him extra time before reporting because he is dealing with a  "personal issue". I don't know what that is but it seems probably kind of dickish to just assume he's pouting and went off the reservation, let alone assume that means he's lost his job.

SKOccam's Razor

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #845 on: August 09, 2016, 01:59:59 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 09, 2016, 01:51:59 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 05, 2016, 09:04:04 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 05, 2016, 09:02:55 AM
Quote from: PANK! on August 05, 2016, 09:02:01 AM
So what're the next roster moves?  Seems that Coghlan is the one truly expendable player (*knocks on wood*), but who takes his spot--La Stella or Soler, and how does the team fit the other guy on to the roster?  Another month-long "DL trip" for Montero?  Contreras may have cooled off, but he still manages to contribute at various points on the field and in the batters box and anyway, on balance, the team is simply worse with him in Iowa and Montero on the roster.  Miggy ain't gonna get DFA'd, though, so something'll have to be done until September arrives.

Considering they're in Oakland, they could probably add a bat at the expense of a 13th arm (a particularly sensible roll of the dice with their Top 3 starters going), but that only lasts them until Monday.  

Thoughts?

LaStella has AWOL'd himself out of a job, I'd think.

The Cubs have said they gave him extra time before reporting because he is dealing with a  "personal issue". I don't know what that is but it seems probably kind of dickish to just assume he's pouting and went off the reservation, let alone assume that means he's lost his job.

SKOccam's Razor

In my defense you being right still doesn't make you not a dick. In fact, experience has shown it increases the dickishness.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #846 on: August 09, 2016, 02:01:12 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 09, 2016, 01:44:03 PM

A chance...

Des Moines is quite nice, so f--k you. Also if he's in New Jersey he can be at home with family and do whatever the fuck he wants and not have to ride a bus around to Omaha and eat crappy sandwiches at 2 AM after an extra inning game. Anyway, I don't think it's about his refusal to play minor league ball so much as it is about sending a message to the org that he's pissed.

I get being emotional about being sent down, but I'd think after 72 hours he'd realize that between the possibility of waiver deals and injuries, he might not be in AAA for too long, and irregardless he'd still be back in the majors September 1st with a real chance at being on the playoff roster of a World Series contender.  So at this point he's guaranteed he loses that service time because the Cubs are not going to let him come back without playing in AAA first (Maddon says as much in his interview).

As for "sending a message" or demanding a trade, this year aside he's a 27 year old bench player with a .699 OPS in 177 MLB games over 3 years who can now add "clubhouse malcontent" to his resume (at least from a organizational perception standpoint).

I hope for his sake that Tommy La Stella is prepared for this to be the end of his baseball career.  Because if he doesn't report to Iowa, that's a real possiblity.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #847 on: August 09, 2016, 02:01:32 PM »
I'm just going to go ahead and root for Cogs now.  He's my new favorite 25th man on the roster.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #848 on: August 09, 2016, 02:06:00 PM »
Quote from: CT III on August 09, 2016, 02:01:12 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 09, 2016, 01:44:03 PM

A chance...

I get being emotional about being sent down, but I'd think after 72 hours he'd realize that between the possibility of waiver deals and injuries, he might not be in AAA for too long, and irregardless he'd still be back in the majors September 1st with a real chance at being on the playoff roster of a World Series contender.  So at this point he's guaranteed he loses that service time because the Cubs are not going to let him come back without playing in AAA first (Maddon says as much in his interview).

As for "sending a message" or demanding a trade, this year aside he's a 27 year old bench player with a .699 OPS in 177 MLB games over 3 years who can now add "clubhouse malcontent" to his resume (at least from a organizational perception standpoint).

I hope for his sake that Tommy La Stella is prepared for this to be the end of his baseball career.  Because if he doesn't report to Iowa, that's a real possiblity.

To make it clear I 100% think this is a really fucking stupid thing for La Stella to do, and he way overestimates his leverage (which is basically nonexistent, as you pointed out), I just think it's fair to acknowledge that he got jobbed and his anger was understandable, and that I also think it is hypocritical for people who will defend the Cubs making this move by saying "it's a business" to then chide La Stella for not putting the team first and just doing what he's told. He's part of the business, he can strike, and then eventually Theo will call in the Pinkertons and beat the living hell out of him.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #849 on: August 09, 2016, 02:07:12 PM »
Quote from: CT III on August 09, 2016, 02:01:12 PM

He's a lefty hitting infielder with an OPS+ of 128 this season. There are teams that would be only too happy to add that to their roster.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #850 on: August 09, 2016, 02:11:48 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 09, 2016, 02:01:32 PM
I'm just going to go ahead and root for Cogs now.  He's my new favorite 25th man on the roster.

I understand this sentiment, but I cannot go that far.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #851 on: August 09, 2016, 02:14:32 PM »
Quote from: CT III on August 09, 2016, 02:11:48 PM
Quote from: Oleg on August 09, 2016, 02:01:32 PM

I understand this sentiment, but I cannot go that far.

Fuck it--I'm on board.  #teamcogs
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #852 on: August 09, 2016, 02:17:55 PM »
I'm so shocked y'all needed only the faintest pretext to tolerate Chris Coghlan's bullshit again. This place used to stand for things. Candy asses.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #853 on: August 09, 2016, 02:19:46 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 09, 2016, 02:17:55 PM
I'm so shocked y'all needed only the faintest pretext to tolerate Chris Coghlan's bullshit again. This place used to stand for things. Candy asses.

You are Desipio's John Lackey.

Don't forget to breathe from your nose.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #854 on: August 09, 2016, 02:21:05 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on August 09, 2016, 02:19:46 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 09, 2016, 02:17:55 PM

You are Desipio's John Lackey.

Don't forget to breathe from your nose.

I AM VERY UPSET ABOUT HOW STARTLINGLY ACCURATE THIS PROBABLY IS