News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE  ( 99,513 )

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
Re: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE
« Reply #855 on: August 09, 2016, 02:33:36 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 09, 2016, 02:06:00 PM
To make it clear I 100% think this is a really fucking stupid thing for La Stella to do, and he way overestimates his leverage (which is basically nonexistent, as you pointed out), I just think it's fair to acknowledge that he got jobbed and his anger was understandable, and that I also think it is hypocritical for people who will defend the Cubs making this move by saying "it's a business" to then chide La Stella for not putting the team first and just doing what he's told. He's part of the business, he can strike, and then eventually Theo will call in the Pinkertons and beat the living hell out of him.

La Stella has no leverage. If he doesn't play, then the Cubs have a flaw (They wouldn't have a left-handed pinch-hitter that could actually hit) but Joe Maddon seems to be creative enough to get around that problem.

I think the Cubs erred in demoting La Stella in favor of Coghlan, but at this point enough is enough. La Stella needs to report, and the sooner the better for everyone involved. And, especially, Tommy La Stella.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #856 on: August 09, 2016, 02:40:58 PM »
Quote from: BC on August 09, 2016, 02:33:36 PM
To make it clear I 100% think this is a really fucking stupid thing for La Stella to do, and he way overestimates his leverage (which is basically nonexistent, as you pointed out), I just think it's fair to acknowledge that he got jobbed and his anger was understandable, and that I also think it is hypocritical for people who will defend the Cubs making this move by saying "it's a business" to then chide La Stella for not putting the team first and just doing what he's told. He's part of the business, he can strike, and then eventually Theo will call in the Pinkertons and beat the living hell out of him.

La Stella has no leverage. If he doesn't play, then the Cubs have a flaw (They wouldn't have a left-handed pinch-hitter that could actually hit) but Joe Maddon seems to be creative enough to get around that problem.

I think the Cubs erred in demoting La Stella in favor of Coghlan, but at this point enough is enough. La Stella needs to report, and the sooner the better for everyone involved. And, especially, Tommy La Stella.

Shut up Paul--you're a douche.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #857 on: August 09, 2016, 02:42:52 PM »
The Cubs apparently made a stupid decision.

La Stella is making a stupid decision.

The Cubs didn't play yesterday and everyone here is champing at the bit.

7:05 p.m. Central Time can't come soon enough.
This is a good thing.

(Also, nice to see you here BC)
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Grandmaster Wang

• Hi. I'm Herschel Walker.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #858 on: August 09, 2016, 02:57:47 PM »
At this point, I'm kinda thinking the awesome thing to do would be to DFA Coghlan and then very pointedly call up Al Al. Or Jeimer.
Some dude in Cairo just punched a camel in the face on CNN.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #859 on: August 09, 2016, 03:01:58 PM »

1. In no way is defending The Cubs in this move anywhere near antithetical to chiding LaStella.  LaStella is being incredibly short-sided.  He's spiting his face by cutting off his nose.
2. LaStella's beef should be with the CBA not with the Cubs.
3. LaStella very clearly has negative leverage.  As long as he's being petulant, The Cubs don't have to do shit.  In fact, they don't even have to pay him as long as he doesn't report.  In fact, as I see it, The Cubs are being overly accommodating.  They could have told him to get bent days ago. I'm pretty sure they can just suspend him as long as he doesn't report and free up a spot on the 40-man.

#TEAMCOGS

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #860 on: August 09, 2016, 03:02:43 PM »
Quote from: Grandmaster Wang on August 09, 2016, 02:57:47 PM
At this point, I'm kinda thinking the awesome thing to do would be to DFA Coghlan and then very pointedly call up Al Al. Or Jeimer.

#TeamAlmora!
#TeamJeimer!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #861 on: August 09, 2016, 03:05:37 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 09, 2016, 03:01:58 PM

1. In no way is defending The Cubs in this move anywhere near antithetical to chiding LaStella.  LaStella is being incredibly short-sided.  He's spiting his face by cutting off his nose.
3. LaStella very clearly has negative leverage.  As long as he's being petulant, The Cubs don't have to do shit.  In fact, they don't even have to pay him as long as he doesn't report.  In fact, as I see it, The Cubs are being overly accommodating.  They could have told him to get bent days ago. I'm pretty sure they can just suspend him as long as he doesn't report and free up a spot on the 40-man.

#TEAMCOGS

Projecting much?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #862 on: August 09, 2016, 03:07:10 PM »

#TEAMCOGS

Heh.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #863 on: August 09, 2016, 03:15:19 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on August 09, 2016, 03:07:10 PM

#TEAMCOGS

Heh.

FACED
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Grandmaster Wang

• Hi. I'm Herschel Walker.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #864 on: August 09, 2016, 03:31:08 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 09, 2016, 03:15:19 PM
Quote from: morpheus on August 09, 2016, 03:07:10 PM

#TEAMCOGS

Heh.

FACED
Some dude in Cairo just punched a camel in the face on CNN.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #865 on: August 09, 2016, 03:33:59 PM »
Quote from: LaStella's Beef on August 09, 2016, 02:57:47 PM

That would be fun, but on a practical level, Almora doesn't really replace LaStella and as much as I like Jeimer's upside, LaStella is a better option today.

I agree though it'd be quite a brass ballsy thing to do--the kind of dispassionate, heartless move that championship teams aren't afraid to make.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #866 on: August 09, 2016, 03:34:11 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 09, 2016, 02:21:05 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on August 09, 2016, 02:19:46 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 09, 2016, 02:17:55 PM
I'm so shocked y'all needed only the faintest pretext to tolerate Chris Coghlan's bullshit again. This place used to stand for things. Candy asses.

You are Desipio's John Lackey.

Don't forget to breathe from your nose.

I AM VERY UPSET ABOUT HOW STARTLINGLY ACCURATE THIS PROBABLY IS

It's ok -- I'm pretty sure I'm the Chris Coghlan.
M'lady.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #867 on: August 09, 2016, 03:35:08 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 09, 2016, 02:01:32 PM
I'm just going to go ahead and root for Cogs now.  He's my new favorite 25th man on the roster.
We will cancel each other out.  He isn't Lackey, but I still don't like him.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #868 on: August 09, 2016, 03:53:32 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on August 09, 2016, 03:34:11 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 09, 2016, 02:21:05 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on August 09, 2016, 02:19:46 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 09, 2016, 02:17:55 PM
I'm so shocked y'all needed only the faintest pretext to tolerate Chris Coghlan's bullshit again. This place used to stand for things. Candy asses.

You are Desipio's John Lackey.

Don't forget to breathe from your nose.

I AM VERY UPSET ABOUT HOW STARTLINGLY ACCURATE THIS PROBABLY IS

It's ok -- I'm pretty sure I'm the Chris Coghlan.

I'm the Kyle Schwarber, except I'm righthanded and not good at baseball.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #869 on: August 09, 2016, 04:01:49 PM »
I'm the Matt Szczur