News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,485 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #945 on: January 22, 2016, 12:28:40 PM »
Quote from: R-V on January 22, 2016, 12:12:16 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 22, 2016, 10:57:03 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2016, 10:41:32 AM
Quote from: Tony on January 22, 2016, 10:38:41 AM
Quote from: SKO on January 22, 2016, 10:29:02 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2016, 10:19:30 AM
Quote from: R-V on January 21, 2016, 04:23:06 PM
Did we already do the project the 25 man roster thing? I'm pretty sure we did, but my 10 seconds of using the dogshit search function on this site didn't turn it up.

C Montero
C Ross
1B Rizzo
2B Zobrist
SS Russell
3B Bryant
IF/OF Baez
IF LaStella
UTIL New Asian Dude
LF Schwarber
CF Heyward
RF Soler
OF Coghlan
SP Lester
SP Arrieta
SP Lackey
SP Hendricks
SP Hammel
P Warren
P Rondon
P Grimm
P Strop
P Cahill
P Richard
P Wood

Fence:  
Brothers
Edwards
Szczur/UTIL OF
Ramirez
Rosscup

With Baez and La Stella both healthy and presumably making the opening day roster I would bet good money on Szczur being the 13th position player and not Asian dude, if they even carry 13 position players.

Frankly I still think there's a trade or two coming before ST. Maybe nothing major but I feel like Coghlan being pretty much the only position player on the roster who wasn't at the Cub Convention and also his complaints about lack of playing time last year might indicate he's being shopped.

Can asian dude play center? Will Baez be ready to play center? Or is Heyward going to play every inning there? And what happens when Jorge msises time and Heyward moves to right?

I think we're definitely going to see Baez play CF at some point. 
Maybe even Bryant again. 

Asian dude has never played anything except 2B/SS/3B in MLB.

This is why I'm glad the Cubs are supposedly still talking to Austin Jackson. A Coghlan trade and Jackson as the 4th OF would be nice. You could have an actual big league CF in case Heyward or Jorge got hurt and not need to use Mack Seizure for anything.

I would positive the hell out of that. Also, that could open up a roster spot for a 13th pitcher, and my ridiculous fantasy of Neil Ramirez staying healthy and dominating for a season would still have a shred of a chance of hai.

Yeah, trade Coghlan for whatever prospect or reliever or whatever you think you need, sign Jackson, and my ideal 25 man would be:

C Montero
C Ross
1B Rizzo
2B Zobrist
SS Russell
3B Bryant
UTIL: Baez
UTIL: La Stella
LF: Schwarber
CF: Heyward
RF: Soler
OF: Jackson

Then:

SP Arrieta
SP Lester
SP Lackey
SP Warren
SP Hendricks

LHP Richard
LHP Brothers
LHP Wood
RHP Ramirez
RHP Cahill
RHP Grimm
RHP Strop
RHP Rondon

In this scenario Hammel has also been dumped on someone else. That may not be logical but I'm still mad at him.

For pinch hitting and subs you'd  have two solid right handed options in Baez and Jackson, and La Stella batting lefty. You lose some of the offense Coghlan probably would provide over Jackson but your defense and depth is a lot better. A Heyward injury would basically destroy the outfield as it is right now, add Jackson and you could survive a few weeks with Schwarber-Jackson-Soler as your OF.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #946 on: January 22, 2016, 12:54:29 PM »
I'd like to think that Warren can overtake Hammel in the rotation by late July, precipitating the latter's removal from the team in exchange for another bullpen arm.  Hammel's about the only thing on the entire 25-man that I don't feel good about.  Fucker.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #947 on: January 22, 2016, 01:08:36 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 22, 2016, 12:54:29 PM
I'd like to think that Warren can overtake Hammel in the rotation by late July, precipitating the latter's removal from the team in exchange for another bullpen arm.  Hammel's about the only thing on the entire 25-man that I don't feel good about.  Fucker.

I bet Hammel comes out healthy, hungry, HGH'd to the gills and starts recording quality starts for several weeks to start the season. That will shut his haters up until he gets hurt, gives up an assload of runs and starts bitching again. At that point, I'll be the one starting the defenestration thread. But until then, I'm in see how it plays out mode.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #948 on: January 22, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 22, 2016, 12:28:40 PM
Did we already do the project the 25 man roster thing? I'm pretty sure we did, but my 10 seconds of using the dogshit search function on this site didn't turn it up.

C Montero
C Ross
1B Rizzo
2B Zobrist
SS Russell
3B Bryant
IF/OF Baez
IF LaStella
UTIL New Asian Dude
LF Schwarber
CF Heyward
RF Soler
OF Coghlan
SP Lester
SP Arrieta
SP Lackey
SP Hendricks
SP Hammel
P Warren
P Rondon
P Grimm
P Strop
P Cahill
P Richard
P Wood

Fence:  
Brothers
Edwards
Szczur/UTIL OF
Ramirez
Rosscup

With Baez and La Stella both healthy and presumably making the opening day roster I would bet good money on Szczur being the 13th position player and not Asian dude, if they even carry 13 position players.

Frankly I still think there's a trade or two coming before ST. Maybe nothing major but I feel like Coghlan being pretty much the only position player on the roster who wasn't at the Cub Convention and also his complaints about lack of playing time last year might indicate he's being shopped.

Can asian dude play center? Will Baez be ready to play center? Or is Heyward going to play every inning there? And what happens when Jorge msises time and Heyward moves to right?

Maybe even Bryant again. 

This is why I'm glad the Cubs are supposedly still talking to Austin Jackson. A Coghlan trade and Jackson as the 4th OF would be nice. You could have an actual big league CF in case Heyward or Jorge got hurt and not need to use Mack Seizure for anything.

I would positive the hell out of that. Also, that could open up a roster spot for a 13th pitcher, and my ridiculous fantasy of Neil Ramirez staying healthy and dominating for a season would still have a shred of a chance of hai.

Yeah, trade Coghlan for whatever prospect or reliever or whatever you think you need, sign Jackson, and my ideal 25 man would be:

C Montero
C Ross
1B Rizzo
2B Zobrist
SS Russell
3B Bryant

Then:

SP Arrieta
SP Lester
SP Lackey
SP Warren
SP Hendricks

LHP Richard
LHP Brothers
LHP Wood
RHP Ramirez
RHP Cahill
RHP Grimm
RHP Strop
RHP Rondon

In this scenario Hammel has also been dumped on someone else. That may not be logical but I'm still mad at him.

For pinch hitting and subs you'd  have two solid right handed options in Baez and Jackson, and La Stella batting lefty. You lose some of the offense Coghlan probably would provide over Jackson but your defense and depth is a lot better. A Heyward injury would basically destroy the outfield as it is right now, add Jackson and you could survive a few weeks with Schwarber-Jackson-Soler as your OF.

I didn't even think about that. Soler missing time is probably a given, but I forgot all about CF if Heyward were to get hurt. Shit, now I'm worried. Get the Jackson thing done, Theo!

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #949 on: January 22, 2016, 01:10:43 PM »
Quote from: Tony on January 22, 2016, 01:09:35 PM

C Montero
C Ross
1B Rizzo
2B Zobrist
SS Russell
3B Bryant
IF/OF Baez
IF LaStella
UTIL New Asian Dude
LF Schwarber
CF Heyward
RF Soler
OF Coghlan
SP Lester
SP Arrieta
SP Lackey
SP Hendricks
SP Hammel
P Warren
P Rondon
P Grimm
P Strop
P Cahill
P Richard
P Wood

Fence:  
Brothers
Edwards
Szczur/UTIL OF
Ramirez
Rosscup

Maybe even Bryant again. 

C Montero
C Ross
1B Rizzo
2B Zobrist
SS Russell
3B Bryant

Then:

SP Arrieta
SP Lester
SP Lackey
SP Warren
SP Hendricks

LHP Richard
LHP Brothers
LHP Wood
RHP Ramirez
RHP Cahill
RHP Grimm
RHP Strop
RHP Rondon

I didn't even think about that. Soler missing time is probably a given, but I forgot all about CF if Heyward were to get hurt. Shit, now I'm worried. Get the Jackson thing done, Theo!

Unless Almora is ready to play a little baseball. That'd be dope.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #950 on: January 22, 2016, 01:21:10 PM »

C Montero
C Ross
1B Rizzo
2B Zobrist
SS Russell
3B Bryant
IF/OF Baez
IF LaStella
UTIL New Asian Dude
LF Schwarber
CF Heyward
RF Soler
OF Coghlan
SP Lester
SP Arrieta
SP Lackey
SP Hendricks
SP Hammel
P Warren
P Rondon
P Grimm
P Strop
P Cahill
P Richard
P Wood

Fence:  
Brothers
Edwards
Szczur/UTIL OF
Ramirez
Rosscup

Maybe even Bryant again.  

C Montero
C Ross
1B Rizzo
2B Zobrist
SS Russell
3B Bryant

Then:

SP Arrieta
SP Lester
SP Lackey
SP Warren
SP Hendricks

LHP Richard
LHP Brothers
LHP Wood
RHP Ramirez
RHP Cahill
RHP Grimm
RHP Strop
RHP Rondon

For pinch hitting and subs you'd  have two solid right handed options in Baez and Jackson, and La Stella batting lefty. You lose some of the offense Coghlan probably would provide over Jackson but your defense and depth is a lot better. A Heyward injury would basically destroy the outfield as it is right now, add Jackson and you could survive a few weeks with Schwarber-Jackson-Soler as your OF.

Theo is going to trade Soler and Vogelbach and others for Kiermaier, Cobb, and Boxberger.  Cobb is out for a bit to start the season; he probably comes back just in time to replace Hammel and his usual second half swoon.

Of course Theo has always had a plan that included Heyward in CF, so whatever.  He's a goddamn wizard.

Edit:Better link.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #951 on: January 22, 2016, 01:21:45 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 22, 2016, 01:10:43 PM

C Montero
C Ross
1B Rizzo
2B Zobrist
SS Russell
3B Bryant
IF/OF Baez
IF LaStella
UTIL New Asian Dude
LF Schwarber
CF Heyward
RF Soler
OF Coghlan
SP Lester
SP Arrieta
SP Lackey
SP Hendricks
SP Hammel
P Warren
P Rondon
P Grimm
P Strop
P Cahill
P Richard
P Wood

Fence:  
Brothers
Edwards
Szczur/UTIL OF
Ramirez
Rosscup

Maybe even Bryant again.  

C Montero
C Ross
1B Rizzo
2B Zobrist
SS Russell
3B Bryant

Then:

SP Arrieta
SP Lester
SP Lackey
SP Warren
SP Hendricks

LHP Richard
LHP Brothers
LHP Wood
RHP Ramirez
RHP Cahill
RHP Grimm
RHP Strop
RHP Rondon

For pinch hitting and subs you'd  have two solid right handed options in Baez and Jackson, and La Stella batting lefty. You lose some of the offense Coghlan probably would provide over Jackson but your defense and depth is a lot better. A Heyward injury would basically destroy the outfield as it is right now, add Jackson and you could survive a few weeks with Schwarber-Jackson-Soler as your OF.

Unless Almora is ready to play a little baseball. That'd be dope.

I think with this offense they can get by with Almora in CF for a few weeks if they absolutely had to.  By all accounts his defense is MLB ready.  Seems like it'd be a painful to see him flail away at MLB pitching (he and Ross in the lineup would frighten me) but if they didn't re-sign Jackson and didn't feel comfortable with Baez out there then I think that could turn out to be a plausible short-term solution.

I'd rather not find out tho.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #952 on: January 22, 2016, 01:42:18 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 22, 2016, 01:21:45 PM
I think with this offense they can get by with Almora in CF for a few weeks if they absolutely had to.  By all accounts his defense is MLB ready.  Seems like it'd be a painful to see him flail away at MLB pitching (he and Ross in the lineup would frighten me) but if they didn't re-sign Jackson and didn't feel comfortable with Baez out there then I think that could turn out to be a plausible short-term solution.

They'd just go with Szczur out there. Almora would OPS like .400 in the bigs right now.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #953 on: January 22, 2016, 01:49:56 PM »
As the resident Hammel hummer giver, I'd like to point out that having Adam Warren & Rex Brothers on your major league roster instead of Jason Hammel & Adam Warren is not what I'd call an upgrade.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #954 on: January 22, 2016, 02:19:16 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 22, 2016, 01:42:18 PM

They'd just go with Szczur out there. Almora would OPS like .400 in the bigs right now.

THIS for sure.

Except Baez.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #955 on: January 22, 2016, 02:20:22 PM »

I'll take that if the alternative means having to watch a 3-ring circus in the OF, which is what the outfield defense would look like with Mack Seizure holding down the fort in center is all I was saying.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #956 on: January 22, 2016, 02:21:46 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2016, 02:19:16 PM

THIS for sure.

Except Baez.

Baez would be my first choice in this awful hypothetical where Heyward gets hurt.  It's just that Baez-as-a-CF is kind of an unknown quantity at this point.  Let's see how it plays out in Mesa.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #957 on: January 22, 2016, 02:24:13 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 22, 2016, 02:21:46 PM

THIS for sure.

Except Baez.

Baez would be my first choice in this awful hypothetical where Heyward gets hurt.  It's just that Baez-as-a-CF is kind of an unknown quantity at this point.  Let's see how it plays out in Mesa.

I agree with that most of all. That we should watch the Cubs play soon.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #958 on: January 22, 2016, 02:24:37 PM »

THIS for sure.

Except Baez.

Baez would be my first choice in this awful hypothetical where Heyward gets hurt.  It's just that Baez-as-a-CF is kind of an unknown quantity at this point.  Let's see how it plays out in Mesa.

I'd probably put Eddy Julio Martinez in CF, sight unseen, over Almora.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #959 on: January 22, 2016, 02:25:05 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2016, 02:24:37 PM
I think with this offense they can get by with Almora in CF for a few weeks if they absolutely had to.  By all accounts his defense is MLB ready.  Seems like it'd be a painful to see him flail away at MLB pitching (he and Ross in the lineup would frighten me) but if they didn't re-sign Jackson and didn't feel comfortable with Baez out there then I think that could turn out to be a plausible short-term solution.

THIS for sure.

Except Baez.

I'd probably put Eddy Julio Martinez in CF, sight unseen, than Almora.

Yeah well you're a proven dope.