News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2017 Postseason (That Means All Teams Besides the Cubs if You’re An Optoat)  ( 9,015 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2017, 09:05:23 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 26, 2017, 09:03:15 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2017, 08:19:11 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 26, 2017, 08:14:46 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2017, 07:57:34 AM
Damn, that was a good baseball game.

Damn, I thought this was going to be about Dave Roberts' bullpen management.

I thought he pulled Rich Hill a bit quickly but otherwise I dunno what else he was supposed to do. If Kenley Jansen closes the door, as he does 99% of the time there, everyone says the Dodgers followed their gameplan and it worked perfectly.

The way the Dodgers lesser relievers immediately coughed up 4 runs in 2 innings after Jansen makes me even more mad about Joe not using Wade in G2 of the NLCS, though. If Wade gets the Cubs into the 10th tied and the Dodgers are forced to use guys  like Fields/McCarthy in extras maybe the Cubs win that game.

You don't think the Ginger Minge (thanks Tonk) doesn't hit the HR against Davis there? Every single break went their way in that series.

Probably not? That's still not a defense of Joe's indefensibly stupid decision, but if he'd homered off Wade I definitely wouldn't have blamed Joe for that?

I'm Ron Burgundy?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I am enjoying all of these very good bullpens getting torched after a month of overuse after guys like Brian Kenny spent the first part of the playoffs splooging over THE BULLPEN REVOLUTION and the death of the starting pitcher. You should never rely on baseball tradition as a guide because sometimes we've just done stupid shit for a long time for no reason other than we've been doing it a long time, but the reason the game evolved towards starters going 6+ whenever possible and relievers sticking to 1 inning at a time is maybe because relievers are relievers because, generally, they weren't good enough to start? And the more they pitch the more likely they are to get exposed?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on October 30, 2017, 09:20:17 AM
I am enjoying all of these very good bullpens getting torched after a month of overuse after guys like Brian Kenny spent the first part of the playoffs splooging over THE BULLPEN REVOLUTION and the death of the starting pitcher. You should never rely on baseball tradition as a guide because sometimes we've just done stupid shit for a long time for no reason other than we've been doing it a long time, but the reason the game evolved towards starters going 6+ whenever possible and relievers sticking to 1 inning at a time is maybe because relievers are relievers because, generally, they weren't good enough to start? And the more they pitch the more likely they are to get exposed?

It's been ridiculous.  Roberts pulled Dick Mountain after 4 IP/60 pitches in game 2.  In a 1-0 game.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: morpheus on October 30, 2017, 09:27:57 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 30, 2017, 09:20:17 AM

It's been ridiculous.  Roberts pulled Dick Mountain after 4 IP/60 pitches in game 2.  In a 1-0 game.

Yeah I understand the "third time through the order penalty" thing. I get it. But that's based on analyzing every goddamn starter and reliever in the game! The drop off from an elite SP's third time through the order to a reliever's first time through is probably not that great, especially when weighing the fact that the Astros have one of the best offenses in history. Just, y'know, go with your fucking gut if you have to but if a starter looks fine, stick with him.

This goes for Joe, too, tbh. I still think if he just gives Kyle Hendricks one more batter to finish the 5th inning in game 7 last year that game ends 5-1 Cubs. Hendricks was fine outside of the third inning and the "walk" to Santana that led Joe to pull him was a K and everyone knew it. Just let the dude who shut down the Dodgers to win the pennant go as far as he can with a 4 run lead.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Last night was entertaining, and it had suspense, but it wasn't particularly well-played. I think Games 5 and 7 last year were better as was Game 2 this year, but among the best World Series games since TV, I don't think this one makes the top 10 either.
1) 2016 Game 7
2) 1960 Game 7
3) 1991 Game 7
4) 1988 Game 1
5) 2001 Game 7
6) 1991 Game 6
7) 1997 Game 7
8) 1986 Game 6
9) 1975 Game 6
10) 2017 Game 2
11) 2017 Game 5
12) 1996 Game 4
13) 2011 Game 6
14) 1956 Game 5
15) 2016 Game 5
16) 1985 Game 6
17) 2001 Game 4
18) 2001 Game 5
19) 2016 Game 3

Thoughts?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on October 30, 2017, 12:27:05 PM
well-played

1) 2016 Game 7

I really liked the ending, but the Acts I and II were a dumpster fire.

I wasn't alive in 1960 so I don't know enough about how well that game was played.

Aside from one Lonnie Smith TOOTBLAN, 1991 G7 was basically flawless by both teams. That'd get my vote.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Go Astros. But Gurriel can go 0-5 with 5 K.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: ChuckD on October 31, 2017, 11:04:34 PM
well-played

1) 2016 Game 7

I really liked the ending, but the Acts I and II were a dumpster fire.

I wasn't alive in 1960 so I don't know enough about how well that game was played.

Aside from one Lonnie Smith TOOTBLAN, 1991 G7 was basically flawless by both teams. That'd get my vote.

I endorse this.  What a ridiculous game of base ball that was.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Narrative wise it's game 7 of 2016 and it always will be, Chuck D can fuck right off.

Objectively well, fuck if I know. The Cubs won the world series. That was the best one. that one there.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
HA HA HA - fuck the Dodgers forever.  I hope the Yankees of the NL never win another World Series.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Saul Goodman on November 01, 2017, 02:01:08 AM
Go Astros. But Gurriel can go 0-5 with 5 K.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
What crazy world are we living in, where it's ok to root for the Astros?
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tonker on November 02, 2017, 12:49:12 AM
HA HA HA - fuck the Dodgers forever.  I hope the Yankees of the NL never win another World Series.

I mean, I would kind of like the Cubs to be the Yankees of the NL. If the Cubs start spending 200 million a year to keep this run going/tack on more titles would you think that makes them bad in some way?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Canadouche on November 02, 2017, 07:31:22 AM

I'm just sad the meteor didn't make it in time.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: Bort on November 02, 2017, 08:02:28 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on November 02, 2017, 07:31:22 AM

I'm just sad the meteor didn't make it in time.

A Cubs World Series and a Trump Presidency are only two cracked seals of the Apocalypse. I think we've got at least one more to go before the meteor (or nukes) hit.
M'lady.