News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive  ( 102,042 )

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2010, 02:20:36 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 08, 2010, 01:51:16 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on March 08, 2010, 01:47:20 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on March 08, 2010, 01:44:22 PM
Fuck you, Pen.
Tell Yeti to fuck him, I just agreed.
Fuck you

I don't care who fucks who at this point, but at least y'all stopped
quoting entire pages of posts.

I'm disappointed with the season Cutler had, because I was hoping
for the playoffs.  I don't blame Cutler for it, as I think it was a
systemic total collapse and I think he did reasonably considering all
of the constant failure around him.  I think it's equally foolish to blame
or absolve him for the entirety of the season.

For instance, throwing a ton of picks is not awesome.  You can't
hand waive them (Brett Favre style) by claiming his team was behind
or he has the heart of a GunSlinger CHAMPION or whatever because
he threw them.  But you can't parrot the SunTimes idiotic Jaws says
they are all his fault bullshit mantra because there were some obvious
WR tip/falldown/retard route picks in the mix too.

In general, the extremes of his stats both positive and negative are
simply the result of a QB with a live arm on team that spent the season
rapidly collapsing.  Trying to cherry pick either side for an argument
to isolate one player from the shit pile is a total waste of time.

Evaluating talent in true team sports is almost never black and white
and acting like you know for sure the true talent level of a player
based on a few stats is ridiculous.

Personally, I think Cutler has a lot of talent and don't regret the trade
to acquire him, but I know that there's no stat out there to prove it
at this point.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2010, 02:34:17 PM »
Quote from: Pre on March 08, 2010, 02:20:36 PM
Fuck you, Pen.
Fuck you

at this point.

"Y'all"?  Since when are you from rural Arkansas?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2010, 02:43:27 PM »
Quote from: Pre on March 08, 2010, 02:20:36 PM
Fuck you, Pen.
Fuck you

at this point.

I don't think anyone here has tried to totally absolve Cutler of anything. I cussed at him more times than any other Bears quarterback in recent memory. The fact of the matter is that he's an incredibly talented quarterback and most of his problems stemmed from the system around him. Now, that's not to say that the picks weren't his fault. Throwing mind-numbing interceptions because you're about to get sacked is wrong. It doesn't change the fact that he wouldn't have done it so often if he hadn't been so close to getting sacked so often. He shouldn't have thrown on the run and heaved so many ducks up there, but he wouldn't have had to shuffle out of a collapsing pocket so often if Turner had decided to utilize the rollout or a moving pocket anytime before the team was out of contention. Saying that most of Cutler's problems were caused by the protection/scheme/talent issues around him =/= saying it wasn't his fault. It's just saying that if the system around him improves, it's reasonable to assume his numbers will improve. It's also retarded for any moran out there to say that the team would be better off with Orton or any of the quarterbacks they could draft this year had they kept their first round pick rather than trading it for Cutler.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »
I think Rex's success in Houston, Orton's success in Denver and Cutler's complete downward spiral illustrate that our QB coach is the place where we need an upgrade. And the organization recognized this and fired the guy. All the other things in this thread are pointless until we address this.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2010, 05:41:10 PM »
Quote from: BH on March 08, 2010, 05:00:58 PM
I think Rex's success in Houston, Orton's success in Denver and Cutler's complete downward spiral illustrate that our QB coach is the place where we need an upgrade. And the organization recognized this and fired the guy. All the other things in this thread are pointless until we address this.

I think you just did. Thanks!
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2010, 06:04:23 PM »
Julius Peppers bought 25 bottles of bubbly priced at $350 ea. for the patrons of a night club called Crescendo, which looks like one of the douchiest places in the world. Someone said he did this to ingratiate himself with fans in his new city. But it has the opposite effect on this Bears fan. Why would I give a fuck if he spent that much money on booze to a bunch of Chads and Trixies who were undoubtedly already drunk as piss? If he really wanted to make a difference he could have gone down to a homeless shelter and donated 350 bottles of Johnnie Walker to the denizens there who were desperately longing for a drink. Same investment. So much more bang for your ingratiating buck.

Hit the quarterback and I'll drink Ripple and make up a song about you... have some t-shirts printed... battle the meatheads on your behalf. Until then, shut up and drink your drink.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2010, 06:19:11 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on March 08, 2010, 06:04:23 PM
Julius Peppers bought 25 bottles of bubbly priced at $350 ea. for the patrons of a night club called Crescendo, which looks like one of the douchiest places in the world. Someone said he did this to ingratiate himself with fans in his new city. But it has the opposite effect on this Bears fan. Why would I give a fuck if he spent that much money on booze to a bunch of Chads and Trixies who were undoubtedly already drunk as piss? If he really wanted to make a difference he could have gone down to a homeless shelter and donated 350 bottles of Johnnie Walker to the denizens there who were desperately longing for a drink. Same investment. So much more bang for your ingratiating buck.

Hit the quarterback and I'll drink Ripple and make up a song about you... have some t-shirts printed... battle the meatheads on your behalf. Until then, shut up and drink your drink.

Alternatively, he could have given 58.3 (repeating) homeless people Johnnie Walker Blue (at the going rate of $150 a bottle) and let them really enjoy quality Scotch.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »
Quote from: BH on March 08, 2010, 05:00:58 PM

Rex's success in Houston?  3 completions in 9 attempts for a 5.6 QB rating?  Oh.  I get it.  This is irony.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2010, 06:29:12 PM »

You're the last person I expected to hear this from.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2010, 07:28:44 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on March 08, 2010, 06:29:12 PM

Well, I'm new to this whole liberal agenda thing. Giving to the needy and all that. How am I doing so far?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2010, 08:09:29 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on March 08, 2010, 07:28:44 PM

Well, I'm new to this whole liberal agenda thing. Giving to the needy and all that. How am I doing so far?

Trust me Pex. You don't want to go down that route. Get all sympathetic for some morgan who needs to "get home" and you get fucked.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2010, 08:17:31 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 08, 2010, 08:09:29 PM

Trust me Pex. You don't want to go down that route. Get all sympathetic for some morgan who needs to "get home" and you get fucked.

You're just angry because that "home" might have inexpensive government-sponsored drywall.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »
Quote from: Jon on March 08, 2010, 08:17:31 PM
Quote from: Yeti on March 08, 2010, 08:09:29 PM

You're just angry because that "home" might have inexpensive government-sponsored drywall.

There's a Section 8 drywall now?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »
Actually, Yeti's just mad because he failed to notice these two guys skulking in the background.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2010, 06:05:19 PM »
This floated around twitter last night, as I saw it from Slak, but this is pretty good for the Bears:

QuoteAs Peter King of SI.com pointed out this afternoon, Peppers gets $20 million in 2010 (all but a $100,000 workout bonus is guaranteed).  But the $22 million in guaranteed money that he's due to receive in 2011 and 2012 is guaranteed for injury only.

This means that the Bears can decide after the 2010 season to cut Peppers for skill reasons -- and they'll owe him nothing.

Specifically, Peppers' 2011 base salary of $900,000 is guaranteed for injury at the time it's signed; on February 10, 2011, it becomes guaranteed for skill.  Also, a $10.5 million roster bonus due in 2011 is guaranteed for injury at signing.  On February 10, 2011, it becomes guaranteed for skill.

An $8.9 million base salary in 2012 is guaranteed for injury at signing and then for skill as of February 10, 2012.

Finally, $1.8 million of Peppers' 2013 base salary is guaranteed for injury only.

So, basically, if the Bears decide before February 10, 2011 that Peppers isn't what they thought he'd be, they can treat it as a one-year, $20 million deal, and walk away.

Also, by our calculations the actual guarantee is $42.0 million, which comes from a $6.5 million signing bonus, a $12.5 million roster bonus in 2010, a $900,000 guaranteed base salary in 2010, a $10.5 million guaranteed roster bonus in 2011, a $900,000 guaranteed base salary in 2011, a guaranteed base salary of $8.9 million in 2012, and a $1.8 million base salary guarantee in 2013.

Still, only $19.9 million of the money is guaranteed for skill.  If the new coach and G.M. decide that Peppers doesn't have enough of it to justify the remaining money, Peppers could be out of more than $22 million that supposedly is destined to land in his bank account.

And there's also a chance that Peppers could be in trouble even if the current regime survives.  If the Bears get to the postseason without much of a contribution from Peppers, coach Lovie Smith and G.M. Jerry Angelo likely will be back.  But maybe they'll decide to cut their losses on Peppers.

If nothing else, Peppers still has a reason to try to play hard, and the Bears did a great job of structuring the deal to allow themselves the opportunity to declare that the move was a mistake -- and to avoid more than $22 million in guaranteed compensation.