News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Lost: The Final Boner  ( 77,412 )

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
Re: Lost: The Final Boner
« Reply #285 on: April 01, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 31, 2010, 07:58:06 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on March 31, 2010, 02:47:19 PM
I don't remember the last time I've laughed out loud at Lost, but there were several genuinely funny moments this episode.

SAWYER:  Why don't you just turn into black smoke and fly over to the other island?
FLOCKE:  If I could do that, do you really think I would still be on this island?
SAWYER:  Yeah, because that would be RIDICULOUS.

BEN:  For the last time, she was unconscious when I found her!  Why don't you believe me?
ILANNA:  Because you're talking.

Hurley also had a great line on the beach which I can't recall.  But I recall the laughter.  Oh, the laughter.

The other funny thing was when Miles was incredulous that Sun just forgot English and Lapidas turned to him and said, "says the guy who talks to dead people".

Is anyone else irritated by NotTinaFey beyond all rationality? She's more annoying than a skeleton jacking off on a tin roof. I hate her.

She's terrible in every conceivable way.  But she does have massive tits.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #286 on: April 01, 2010, 11:22:05 AM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on April 01, 2010, 11:18:34 AM
I don't remember the last time I've laughed out loud at Lost, but there were several genuinely funny moments this episode.

SAWYER:  Why don't you just turn into black smoke and fly over to the other island?
FLOCKE:  If I could do that, do you really think I would still be on this island?
SAWYER:  Yeah, because that would be RIDICULOUS.

BEN:  For the last time, she was unconscious when I found her!  Why don't you believe me?
ILANNA:  Because you're talking.

Hurley also had a great line on the beach which I can't recall.  But I recall the laughter.  Oh, the laughter.

The other funny thing was when Miles was incredulous that Sun just forgot English and Lapidas turned to him and said, "says the guy who talks to dead people".

Is anyone else irritated by NotTinaFey beyond all rationality? She's more annoying than a skeleton jacking off on a tin roof. I hate her.

She's terrible in every conceivable way.  But she does have massive tits.

Richard Schiff married well.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #287 on: April 01, 2010, 11:46:48 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 01, 2010, 11:22:05 AM

SAWYER:  Why don't you just turn into black smoke and fly over to the other island?
FLOCKE:  If I could do that, do you really think I would still be on this island?
SAWYER:  Yeah, because that would be RIDICULOUS.

BEN:  For the last time, she was unconscious when I found her!  Why don't you believe me?
ILANNA:  Because you're talking.

Hurley also had a great line on the beach which I can't recall.  But I recall the laughter.  Oh, the laughter.

She's terrible in every conceivable way.  But she does have massive tits.

Looking at her page on IMDb, it says she appeared on Conan a few years ago and I was curious why.

Guess it was probably for pole-dancing.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #288 on: April 01, 2010, 11:59:25 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on April 01, 2010, 11:46:48 AM
Looking at her page on IMDb, it says she appeared on Conan a few years ago and I was curious why.

What kind of ding-a-ling allows her own name to be misspelled in the title bar of a self-promotion site?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #289 on: April 01, 2010, 12:24:57 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on April 01, 2010, 11:59:25 AM

What kind of ding-a-ling allows her own name to be misspelled in the title bar of a self-promotion site?

The geophysicist kind!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #290 on: April 01, 2010, 12:31:48 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on April 01, 2010, 12:24:57 PM

The geophysicist kind!

I hope she dies in a grease fire.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #291 on: April 01, 2010, 01:40:30 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 01, 2010, 12:31:48 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on April 01, 2010, 12:24:57 PM

The geophysicist kind!

I hope she dies in a grease fire.

Just sit her on top of Sayid's head and light a match.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #292 on: April 01, 2010, 03:12:14 PM »
It looks like shit's finally started to hit the fan in the alt timeline.

I think (hope) we're gonna now start to see more crossover shit-fan action. Think: alt Kate's not so fortuitous run-in with alt Sawyer a couple weeks ago. Maybe there's a run-in with alt Cholly on the horizon, too.

I don't know how all of this will collide with the island timeline, but I'm still convinced it will. (Pen posted something in the SBox yesterday about Sun's inability to speak English maybe being a sort of "leak" between the two timelines, which I kind of like.)

But I'm also still stuck on my notion of the Losties (whether it's the island versions or the alt versions) being asked to "sacrifice" their alt timeline lives in order to save the non-alt world.

In the teaser for next week, I even recall hearing someone (was it Widmore?) telling someone else (possibly Desmond?) that they would have to make a sacrifice for the island.

So, reading over some of the stuff I've posted earlier this season, one thing that jumps out at me is the stuff about Abraham's sacrifice of Isaac, as related in the Kierkegaard book we saw the French temple corpse holding.

TDubbs is gonna love this...

Obviously, Lost's "man of faith" for much of the series was Locke.

And I think it's just as clear that, ever since he lost his shit off-island, Jack has taken up that mantle. He finally gave himself over to the island after the incident at the lighthouse. We saw this in his chat with Alpert on the Black Rock. When he closed his eyes as the fuse burned, I sensed that, while he believed he would live, he was willing to die at that moment.

Well, Kierkegaard's big thing was, appropriately, irrational faith. In Fear and Trembling, he wrote about Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son Isaac at God's command and the "absurd" faith in God it required:

http://www.ccel.org/k/kierkegaard/selections/trembling.htm

Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on February 03, 2010, 03:43:37 PM
QuoteInfinite resignation is the last stage which goes before faith, so that every one who has not made the movement of infinite resignation cannot have faith...

Abraham resigns himself to the will of God. To Kierkegaard, this "movement of infinite resignation" is a logical, ethical act: a resignation of the self for something greater. But it is not yet an act of faith.

What characterizes the "movement of faith" as an act of faith is the absurdity of Abraham's conviction that somehow, even as he sacrifices the thing that means the most to him (because God commanded it), he will yet get it all back "by virtue of the absurd, by virtue of the act that to God nothing is impossible."

"Abraham ascended the mountain and whilst the knife already gleamed in his hand he believed—that God would not demand Isaac of him."

This absurd "movement of faith" is what Kierkegaard thinks is the most admirable thing ever, even if he can't totally wrap his mind around it himself.

In Lost terms, think of Cholly sacrificing his life to save everyone else (or Desmond's sacrifice, for that matter, or Juliet's).

Cholly resigns himself to giving up his life as the price of saving Claire. That's a "movement of infinite resignation," a logical and ethical act. Had he done this with an absurd belief that he would somehow still be able to have Claire afterwards, that would be a "movement of faith."

I think.

So, questions: Have we seen anyone make this kind of "movement of faith" on Lost? And would this sort of faith be a prerequisite for being the final candidate?

All that fun stuff out of the way, here's what really caught my eye in my previous post:

Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on February 03, 2010, 03:43:37 PM
QuoteIf Abraham had doubted, when standing on Mount Moriah; if he had looked about him in perplexity; if he had accidentally discovered the ram before drawing his knife; if God had permitted him to sacrifice it instead of Isaac—then would he have returned home, and all would have been as before, he would have had Sarah and would have kept Isaac; and yet how different all would have been!

So, a speculative thought: David Shephard's mother is Sarah/Julie Bowen. (Boring.)

Even more speculative: Jack (island or alt) will be asked to "sacrifice" his son, which he willingly does, while believing that he's somehow not sacrificing him at all.

Would this make Jack the final candidate? I guess it might. (Boring again.)

I'm not sure I really like that, of course, because he's the guy we probably most suspect. And we all know it's more likely to be whoever we medium suspect.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #293 on: April 01, 2010, 03:23:34 PM »
I know, in the teaser, Widmore said to someone (probably Des) "the island isn't done with you yet."

Maybe that's what you heard?

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #294 on: April 01, 2010, 03:30:23 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 01, 2010, 03:23:34 PM
I know, in the teaser, Widmore said to someone (probably Des) "the island isn't done with you yet."

Maybe that's what you heard?

I heard that, too. An explicit echo of what Hawking told Desmond last season. (And maybe what Michael was told when he wasn't allowed to die.)

But I'm pretty sure I heard the word "sacrifice" at some point.

At any rate... I'm out. See you losers in a couple weeks.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #295 on: April 01, 2010, 03:35:11 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on April 01, 2010, 03:12:14 PM
So, questions: Have we seen anyone make this kind of "movement of faith" on Lost? And would this sort of faith be a prerequisite for being the final candidate?

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #296 on: April 01, 2010, 03:36:55 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 01, 2010, 03:35:11 PM

Nice. Also, what about Jin staying behind on the freighter and supposedly blowing up but not dying? Hmm?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #297 on: April 01, 2010, 03:49:47 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 01, 2010, 03:36:55 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on April 01, 2010, 03:35:11 PM

Nice. Also, what about Jin staying behind on the freighter and supposedly blowing up but not dying? Hmm?

My first thought as well. But was that intentional though? I remember him trying to get on the chopper at the end, but Lapidus had to go.

Speaking of Lapidus, I read somewhere, makes a lot of sense...if Richard is hellbent on destroying the Ajira flight so Smokey can't leave, why not just kill Lapidus?
He's the only dude who can fly the plane.

Seems like a reasonably casualty of war.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #298 on: April 01, 2010, 04:36:48 PM »

SAWYER:  Why don't you just turn into black smoke and fly over to the other island?
FLOCKE:  If I could do that, do you really think I would still be on this island?

BEN:  For the last time, she was unconscious when I found her!  Why don't you believe me?

Hurley also had a great line on the beach which I can't recall.  But I recall the laughter.  Oh, the laughter.

What's happening here?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #299 on: April 01, 2010, 04:58:22 PM »
Quote from: Day Man on April 01, 2010, 04:36:48 PM

What's happening here?

Urge to hate: falling.