News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2016 World Fucking Series Collective Freakout Thread  ( 8,424 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2016 World Fucking Series Collective Freakout Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2016, 11:07:57 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 26, 2016, 10:56:48 AM
Quote from: R-V on October 26, 2016, 09:46:16 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2016, 08:39:50 AM
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 26, 2016, 08:23:39 AM
If Jake's going to get get his way and have Montero catch him instead of WillyCon and doesn't pitch balls out, I'll be very displeased.

Joe said he was leaning towards Contreras catching Jake because of the Indians running game. With Jake not caring about holding runners and Miggy's noodle arm any Indian that reached base other than Mike Napoli would just be awarded third to save everybody time.

This is encouraging - I wasn't aware Joe had made those comments. Huey beat me to the comment that he needs to start pitching like a guy who *deserves* a goddamn personal catcher.

No pressure, but tonight is the most important start of Jake's career. I have this totally irrational feeling that if he can recapture 2015 Jake tonight, he can recapture at least some of that magic over the next 3-4 years. If not, he's going to be what he was this year - a good/not great #2 starter - or perhaps regress into something closer to Orioles Jake. Like I said, totally irrational.

He's spent the last 3 months repeatedly talking about how he knows what's wrong and how to fix it and that he's still awesome. I'd like to see some evidence that his insane level of self-confidence is still warranted at this point. I know that last sentence is dumb, but I'm trying to reverse-psych him into a good start here.

To be fair to Jake in his first 7 starts after the ASB he averaged almost 7 IP a start with an OPS against of .515 and a 2.47 ERA and only one real clunker in the group. So he did fix it for like a month. Then he had 6 starts where he was mostly meh with one major clunker and one vintage Jake start (the 7 IP, 10 K, 1 BB effort against STL).

I'm hoping the extra rest helps him.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2016, 11:32:21 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2016, 11:07:57 AM
If Jake's going to get get his way and have Montero catch him instead of WillyCon and doesn't pitch balls out, I'll be very displeased.

Joe said he was leaning towards Contreras catching Jake because of the Indians running game. With Jake not caring about holding runners and Miggy's noodle arm any Indian that reached base other than Mike Napoli would just be awarded third to save everybody time.

This is encouraging - I wasn't aware Joe had made those comments. Huey beat me to the comment that he needs to start pitching like a guy who *deserves* a goddamn personal catcher.

No pressure, but tonight is the most important start of Jake's career. I have this totally irrational feeling that if he can recapture 2015 Jake tonight, he can recapture at least some of that magic over the next 3-4 years. If not, he's going to be what he was this year - a good/not great #2 starter - or perhaps regress into something closer to Orioles Jake. Like I said, totally irrational.

He's spent the last 3 months repeatedly talking about how he knows what's wrong and how to fix it and that he's still awesome. I'd like to see some evidence that his insane level of self-confidence is still warranted at this point. I know that last sentence is dumb, but I'm trying to reverse-psych him into a good start here.

To be fair to Jake in his first 7 starts after the ASB he averaged almost 7 IP a start with an OPS against of .515 and a 2.47 ERA and only one real clunker in the group. So he did fix it for like a month. Then he had 6 starts where he was mostly meh with one major clunker and one vintage Jake start (the 7 IP, 10 K, 1 BB effort against STL).

Yeah he's on 7 days rest after only throwing 83 pitches in his LA start. He should be all systems go. And to Eli's point, I don't think it's dumb at all to think that a guy who thinks of (and talks about) himself as great needs to...BE great more than every once in a while.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2016, 11:41:28 AM »
I think they should be starting today's game earlier - given how long postseason games in general have dragged on, there's a real chance of a delay in the middle innings.

I wonder if/how any of this will impact any of Maddon & Francona's thought process.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2016, 11:50:43 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 26, 2016, 11:32:21 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2016, 11:07:57 AM

Yeah he's on 7 days rest after only throwing 83 pitches in his LA start. He should be all systems go. And to Eli's point, I don't think it's dumb at all to think that a guy who thinks of (and talks about) himself as great needs to...BE great more than every once in a while.

No I understand and have also been frustrated with the "EVERYTHING IS FINE" excuse from him after another 4 walk start, I just was trying to point out that there was at least one monthish long stretch in the second half where he mostly looked pretty darn good.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2016, 11:57:49 AM »
I might be blowing this out of proportion a smidgen, but I kind of feel like this is the game where Arrieta proves whether or not he deserves a big contract extension to stay in Chicago.
M'lady.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2016, 01:12:21 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 25, 2016, 08:47:12 PM
Who is that turd in the front row above the Cleveland dugout with the "Bartman for President" and "Cubs 84+03=Chokers" sign? I am sure he's a Browns fan.

That's about the only part of the game that I saw, given that a $57 freelance job (max) sprawled into a ten-hour monstrosity.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2016, 01:12:45 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 26, 2016, 11:07:40 AM

Here's hoping he reads this message board then.

http://desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=8505.msg308620#msg308620

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2016, 01:14:36 PM »
Fowler CF/Bryant 3B/Rizzo 1B/Zobrist LF/Schwarber DH/Baez 2B/Willson C/Soler RF/Russell SS.

I like it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2016, 06:19:29 PM »
Bauer has nothing. Chase this clown by the third, please.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2016, 10:15:52 PM »
Cubs in 5. Fuck Cleveland

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2016, 03:18:34 AM »
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?