News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Coming to America, Part the Third.  ( 79,230 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Coming to America, Part the Third.
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2011, 11:20:38 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 17, 2011, 11:16:24 AM
Quote from: Tonker on January 17, 2011, 11:11:57 AM
Quote from: Fork on January 17, 2011, 11:03:41 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 17, 2011, 10:52:14 AM
The Ricketti get a cut no matter what.

No cut if we go to a bar.

Fork has a point.  I imagine that I'll be going to Wrigley for at least a couple of games anyway, so there's absolutely no need for us all to go to the ballpark (or a rooftop) for TONKFESTTM itself.  We can just as easily go to a bar where ordering a frosty one is as easy as lifting your finger, food is good and not, you know... ballparky, and we can avoid the bleachodes.  So, I guess my point is, it's entirely up to you guys, and what you'd rather do.  I'll be getting plenty of Cubs anyway - too much, even, you might say...

EDIT : It will also be much easier to organise, logistically speaking.  And you know me - I hate to cause trouble.

I endorse this plan.

I change my vote to 'present'.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2011, 11:24:59 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on January 17, 2011, 11:20:38 AM
Quote from: SKO on January 17, 2011, 11:16:24 AM
Quote from: Tonker on January 17, 2011, 11:11:57 AM
Quote from: Fork on January 17, 2011, 11:03:41 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 17, 2011, 10:52:14 AM
The Ricketti get a cut no matter what.

No cut if we go to a bar.

Fork has a point.  I imagine that I'll be going to Wrigley for at least a couple of games anyway, so there's absolutely no need for us all to go to the ballpark (or a rooftop) for TONKFESTTM itself.  We can just as easily go to a bar where ordering a frosty one is as easy as lifting your finger, food is good and not, you know... ballparky, and we can avoid the bleachodes.  So, I guess my point is, it's entirely up to you guys, and what you'd rather do.  I'll be getting plenty of Cubs anyway - too much, even, you might say...

EDIT : It will also be much easier to organise, logistically speaking.  And you know me - I hate to cause trouble.

I endorse this plan.

I change my vote to 'present'.

HE STOLE MY BIT!  HE STOLE MY BIT!

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2011, 04:33:37 PM »
Bump.  Did we ever decide whether we're going to a game or to a bar or to TDubbs's parents' CONDO or anything?
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2011, 05:47:26 PM »
So I'll be in SF Memorial Day but other than that I'll be damn sure to make myself available.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2011, 06:49:41 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on April 05, 2011, 04:33:37 PM
Bump.  Did we ever decide whether we're going to a game or to a bar or to TDubbs's parents' CONDO or anything?

Let's just pick a ginmill somewhere, so if they run us out it doesn't cost anything.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2011, 01:37:14 AM »
I think a bar is probably our best bet.  I'm going to get to a couple of Cubs' games regardless, so I don't need to do it with youse guys necessarily (although anybody who wants to join me at Wrigley during that week will be very, very welcome).  The point isn't so much the baseball as having a get-together and getting pished, and sitting in a long row drinking $10 beers isn't really especially conducive to that.

So, Hi-Tops it is.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2011, 01:42:16 AM »
By the way, is anybody around the first Friday night (27th May)?  I'll have flown in that afternoon and might well be a bit (punch) drunk but it would be good to start as I mean to go on.  So, beer, anybody?

Also, I need to get from the airport to downtown (about a hundred yards from the Hancock Center) that Friday afternoon.  What's the quickest/easiest/cheapest way of doing it?

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2011, 05:00:03 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 06, 2011, 01:42:16 AM
By the way, is anybody around the first Friday night (27th May)?  I'll have flown in that afternoon and might well be a bit (punch) drunk but it would be good to start as I mean to go on.  So, beer, anybody?

Also, I need to get from the airport to downtown (about a hundred yards from the Hancock Center) that Friday afternoon.  What's the quickest/easiest/cheapest way of doing it?

Flying into O'Hare I'm assuming?  Blue Line. 
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2011, 07:56:53 AM »
Blue line it to Clark & Lake, and cab it from there.  I'm rarely in a cab but I'm guessing 6-8 bucks at most.  It's barely a mile and a quarter which, on a Friday afternoon, should only take you about two hours.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2011, 08:35:42 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 06, 2011, 07:56:53 AM
Blue line it to Clark & Lake, and cab it from there.  I'm rarely in a cab but I'm guessing 6-8 bucks at most.  It's barely a mile and a quarter which, on a Friday afternoon, should only take you about two hours.

Or he can take the Blue Line to Washington, switch to the Red Line and take that to State and Chicago.  It's a quick walk from there.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2011, 09:00:56 AM »
Quote from: CT III on April 06, 2011, 08:35:42 AM

Or he can take the Blue Line to Washington, switch to the Red Line and take that to State and Chicago.  It's a quick walk from there.

That sounds good - I'd like to avoid going by road if possible, because as Mike says it's Friday afternoon and as such I'd probably be better walking.  If I'm understanding the map correctly, though, it seems to me as though it might make sense to go one station further to Monroe, where the Blue and Red appear to be side by side, and then head North.  Am I right?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2011, 09:15:40 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 06, 2011, 09:00:56 AM
Blue line it to Clark & Lake, and cab it from there.  I'm rarely in a cab but I'm guessing 6-8 bucks at most.  It's barely a mile and a quarter which, on a Friday afternoon, should only take you about two hours.

Or he can take the Blue Line to Washington, switch to the Red Line and take that to State and Chicago.  It's a quick walk from there.

That sounds good - I'd like to avoid going by road if possible, because as Mike says it's Friday afternoon and as such I'd probably be better walking.  If I'm understanding the map correctly, though, it seems to me as though it might make sense to go one station further to Monroe, where the Blue and Red appear to be side by side, and then head North.  Am I right?

They're not really side-by-side. There's a block-long tunnel separating them.

Granted, that would probably make it easier to not get lost in the Loop like a common Bort. But, either way, it's a walking transfer.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2011, 09:46:34 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 06, 2011, 09:15:40 AM
Blue line it to Clark & Lake, and cab it from there.  I'm rarely in a cab but I'm guessing 6-8 bucks at most.  It's barely a mile and a quarter which, on a Friday afternoon, should only take you about two hours.

Or he can take the Blue Line to Washington, switch to the Red Line and take that to State and Chicago.  It's a quick walk from there.

That sounds good - I'd like to avoid going by road if possible, because as Mike says it's Friday afternoon and as such I'd probably be better walking.  If I'm understanding the map correctly, though, it seems to me as though it might make sense to go one station further to Monroe, where the Blue and Red appear to be side by side, and then head North.  Am I right?

Granted, that would probably make it easier to not get lost in the Loop like a common Bort. But, either way, it's a walking transfer.

You can make the transfer at Washington as well.  The CTA tunnel was replaced by the Block 37 stores, but you just walk through that hallway to get to the Red Line station.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2011, 10:10:55 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 06, 2011, 09:15:40 AM

You better smile and put some [PenFoe] tags on that when you say it.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2011, 10:31:35 AM »
Tonks,

Just for general getting around knowledge, Maps.google.com will do public transit routings as well, and includes timetables (although an 'ish' should be added to the times).  Also available on what ever smartphone Huey is selling this week.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.