News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Coming to America, Part the Third.  ( 79,217 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Coming to America, Part the Third.
« Reply #705 on: August 01, 2012, 06:02:03 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 01, 2012, 05:21:55 PM
Quote from: Tonker on August 01, 2012, 05:06:58 PM
there's supposed to be sauternes in there which in theory is a fantastic idea

No, it is not. If I want Château d'Yquem, it's not for putting into a goddamned cooked sausage.

If you're just going to deglaze a pan, you can use Two Buck Chuck or something. But if the wine is a substantial ingredient, the flavor absolutely comes through.

Or, what Tonker said.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #706 on: August 01, 2012, 06:28:57 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on August 01, 2012, 05:29:05 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on August 01, 2012, 05:21:55 PM
Quote from: Tonker on August 01, 2012, 05:06:58 PM
there's supposed to be sauternes in there which in theory is a fantastic idea

No, it is not. If I want Château d'Yquem, it's not for putting into a goddamned cooked sausage.

Sauternes and foie gras is a classic combination. Why the fuck should the wine you use for cooking be any different to any other ingredient? You use the best, you get the best.

You also have to treat the best fucking properly. This concoction is implausible on its face unless the thing never got far above room temperature, in which case it would just be a pâté in a casing. Sweet Jesus, do something sensible. It is attachment to name and form, which isn't a bright idea in the first place, and it gets the second half wrong.

[Edit.--And Yuri Milner is a moron.]

[Edit 2.--Here. Do I have to look up the boiling points?]
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #707 on: August 01, 2012, 07:07:48 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 01, 2012, 06:28:57 PM
Do I have to look up the boiling points?

I'm gonna go ahead and say 'yes' just in case.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #708 on: August 01, 2012, 07:24:43 PM »
Are any of you guys taking Tonks to Nick's Fishmarket?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #709 on: August 01, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 01, 2012, 07:07:48 PM

You bastard. You do understand that this is going to be more than "protracted," right? You may get to keep 3-propyl-1,2-oxathiolane.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #710 on: August 01, 2012, 08:01:38 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 01, 2012, 07:36:00 PM

You bastard. You do understand that this is going to be more than "protracted," right? You may get to keep 3-propyl-1,2-oxathiolane.

Let's pretend that I do understand that.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #711 on: August 01, 2012, 08:25:13 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 01, 2012, 08:01:38 PM

I only drink oxathiolane in months that don't have a "R" in them.  As for 3-propyl-1, that is just uncivilized any time of year.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #712 on: August 01, 2012, 08:51:26 PM »

That was actually backward. It was identified as a thermal oxidation product in Sauternes from 3-sulfanylhexanol disulfide on the basis on varying gas chromatograph nozzle temperature (not present at 45 C, but present at 230 C). The actual compound is responsible for one of the citrus notes in Sauternes. The volatile sulfur compounds are chemically labile and readily perceived; you're not going to "preserve the character" of a complicated wine if you subject it to heat in the presence of oxygen, which is why this is a bad idea.

[Edit.--It was even more backward because I was thinking of 3-sulfanylhexan-1-ol, and 3-sulfanylhexanol disulfide is 3,3'-disulfanediyldihexan-1-ol.]

[Edit 2.--And as the former is the only stable polyfunctional thiol, we are left with (I) phenylacetaldehyde, (II) 2-phenylethanol, (III) 3-mercaptohexan-1-ol, (IV) ethylhexaonate, (V) beta-damascenone, (VI) gamma-nonalactone, and (I) delta-decalactone as the big guns to be examined.]

[Edit 3.--Modified Edit 2 for shortened cross-referencing purposes.]

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #713 on: August 01, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 01, 2012, 08:51:26 PM

That was actually backward. It was identified as a thermal oxidation product in Sauternes from 3-sulfanylhexanol disulfide on the basis on varying gas chromatograph nozzle temperature (not present at 45 C, but present at 230 C). The actual compound is responsible for one of the citrus notes in Sauternes. The volatile sulfur compounds are chemically labile and readily perceived; you're not going to "preserve the character" of a complicated wine if you subject it to heat in the presence of oxygen, which is why this is a bad idea.

[Edit.--It was even more backward because I was thinking of 3-sulfanylhexan-1-ol, and 3-sulfanylhexanol disulfide is 3,3'-disulfanediyldihexan-1-ol.]

[Edit 2.--And as the former is the only stable polyfunctional thiol, we are left with (I) phenylacetaldehyde, (II) 2-phenylethanol, (III) 3-mercaptohexan-1-ol, (IV) ethylhexaonate, (V) beta-damascenone, (VI) gamma-nonalactone, and (I) delta-decalactone as the big guns to be examined.]

And... scene?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #714 on: August 01, 2012, 10:24:51 PM »
Quote from: flannj on August 01, 2012, 10:14:27 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on August 01, 2012, 08:51:26 PM

And... scene?

Oh, no, this could go on for ages. I haven't actually had chemistry in 24 years. I'm just now wondering whether a better proxy for these purposes is flash point or boiling point. Of course, somebody could just go buy a case of Sauternes and things could be settled experimentally.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #715 on: August 01, 2012, 10:29:19 PM »
This is all Greek to me.  If you're trying to convince me that, once it's been heated, you can't taste Sauternes in food, then I'm going to go all CHEMISTRY MEATBALL ABOUT THIS, MY FRENT.  I don't believe it.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #716 on: August 01, 2012, 10:34:17 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on August 01, 2012, 10:29:19 PM
This is all Greek to me.  If you're trying to convince me that, once it's been heated, you can't taste Sauternes in food, then I'm going to go all CHEMISTRY MEATBALL ABOUT THIS, MY FRENT.  I don't believe it.

Don't burst a foo-foo valve, cobber.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #717 on: August 01, 2012, 10:45:29 PM »
DPD. There's also the issue whether verjus would make more sense in this role.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #718 on: August 01, 2012, 10:58:11 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 01, 2012, 10:34:17 PM

Wheezer, are you capable of making it to the South Loop tomorrow to join us for lunch?
Or is your N.J. Cugnot in for service?

Because this conversation really should take place in person.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #719 on: August 01, 2012, 11:13:11 PM »
Quote from: flannj on August 01, 2012, 10:58:11 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on August 01, 2012, 10:34:17 PM

Wheezer, are you capable of making it to the South Loop tomorrow to join us for lunch?
Or is your N.J. Cugnot in for service?

Because this conversation really should take place in person.

The odds of my being able to maintain some sort of composure at a meat festival at that hour are quite poor.