News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Coming to America, Part the Third.  ( 79,251 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Coming to America, Part the Third.
« Reply #750 on: September 03, 2016, 01:06:26 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 03, 2016, 01:03:20 PM
Casa Nova is at your complete disposal.

Whoa, just snuck in there under the CTA bar, huh?

Cheers, old friend.  You're on the list and, subject to the forthcoming lottery, could well the lucky recipient of a visit from me!  What a time to be alive, eh?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #751 on: September 03, 2016, 01:08:26 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 03, 2016, 04:53:55 AM
So, STonk and I were chatting this morning about the Cubs and she suggested that, should they make the World Serious, I might want to take a little trip to Chicago to experience it all.  It will all kind of depend on how much a short-notice flight to Chicago will cost me, but it's the week *after* the autumn break here so it might not be too horrendously overpriced and I might, indeed, do it.

Bearing in mind, though, that such a trip would be at least partially funded out of the kids' autumn break pot (helloooo staycation!), and bearing also in mind that, should the Cubs actually make the series, hotel room prices will immediately go apeshit, I'd be looking to couchsurf while in town.  My good buddy Jeff (who I met at the air show last year) has just bought himself a house on W. Argyle, out by the Expressway somewhere, so I don't doubt I could crash with him for a couple of nights, but I don't want to wear out my welcome.

So, the long and the short* of it is that, should the Cubs make the Series, and should the flight not be too expensive, I'd be looking to tag-team my way through a week in town.  If you've got a spare bed, or a couch, or even an air mattress on the floor, and wouldn't mind me crashing for a couple of nights, let me know.  People who live outside the reach of the CTA need not apply, you fucking yokels.

I will have money to buy you beer, if that helps.  I am also quite domesticated and useful around the home and will be happy to help out and/or bodge your little jobs just as thoroughly as you could bodge them yourself.

*looking at you, Oleg

Dadgummit, bumped my own post off the page.  See above and get your bids in early, chums!

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #752 on: September 03, 2016, 07:39:55 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 03, 2016, 01:08:26 PM
So, STonk and I were chatting this morning about the Cubs and she suggested that, should they make the World Serious, I might want to take a little trip to Chicago to experience it all.  It will all kind of depend on how much a short-notice flight to Chicago will cost me, but it's the week *after* the autumn break here so it might not be too horrendously overpriced and I might, indeed, do it.

Bearing in mind, though, that such a trip would be at least partially funded out of the kids' autumn break pot (helloooo staycation!), and bearing also in mind that, should the Cubs actually make the series, hotel room prices will immediately go apeshit, I'd be looking to couchsurf while in town.  My good buddy Jeff (who I met at the air show last year) has just bought himself a house on W. Argyle, out by the Expressway somewhere, so I don't doubt I could crash with him for a couple of nights, but I don't want to wear out my welcome.

So, the long and the short* of it is that, should the Cubs make the Series, and should the flight not be too expensive, I'd be looking to tag-team my way through a week in town.  If you've got a spare bed, or a couch, or even an air mattress on the floor, and wouldn't mind me crashing for a couple of nights, let me know.  People who live outside the reach of the CTA need not apply, you fucking yokels.

I will have money to buy you beer, if that helps.  I am also quite domesticated and useful around the home and will be happy to help out and/or bodge your little jobs just as thoroughly as you could bodge them yourself.

*looking at you, Oleg

Dadgummit, bumped my own post off the page.  See above and get your bids in early, chums!

Our guest room is available as well
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #753 on: September 04, 2016, 05:33:23 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on September 03, 2016, 07:39:55 PM

*looking at you, Oleg

Our guest room is available as well

Fantastic.  You're a very nice man.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #754 on: September 04, 2016, 08:05:56 PM »

*looking at you, Oleg

I'll offer mine. The Amtrak isn't far

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #755 on: September 04, 2016, 09:20:51 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 03, 2016, 01:06:26 PM

Cheers, old friend.  You're on the list and, subject to the forthcoming lottery, could well the lucky recipient of a visit from me!  What a time to be alive, eh?

The L is a half block from my house, man.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #756 on: September 04, 2016, 10:12:28 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 04, 2016, 09:20:51 PM

For someone beseeching the benevolence & hospitality of his Internet friends, Tonker sure is rather shot-cally.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #757 on: September 05, 2016, 04:08:36 AM »

I know that, I took the L when I went there.  Still, dangerously near the end of the line, old son.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #758 on: September 05, 2016, 04:23:35 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on September 04, 2016, 10:12:28 PM

For someone beseeching the benevolence & hospitality of his Internet friends, Tonker sure is rather shot-cally.

So all of a sudden I'm supposed to be all nice, and friendly, and kind and shit, just because I want something?  You guys would smell that a fucking mile away.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #759 on: September 05, 2016, 10:54:12 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 05, 2016, 04:23:35 AM

So all of a sudden I'm supposed to be all nice, and friendly, and kind and shit, just because I want something?  You guys would smell that a fucking mile away.

We just figured after two world wars, you'd be happy with any American assistance.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #760 on: September 05, 2016, 11:28:45 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 05, 2016, 10:54:12 AM

We just figured after two world wars, you'd be happy with any American assistance.

Except for your comparison to be valid you'd need to be charging me huge amounts to let me stay.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #761 on: September 05, 2016, 12:05:46 PM »

If by some miracle I still have a place, you're completely welcome down in Hyde Park. I even insist upon being the one to sleep on the floor when I have a guest (never did find the leak in the Aerobed, but I manage).
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #762 on: September 05, 2016, 12:45:26 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on September 05, 2016, 12:05:46 PM

If by some miracle I still have a place, you're completely welcome down in Hyde Park. I even insist upon being the one to sleep on the floor when I have a guest (never did find the leak in the Aerobed, but I manage).

Thanks, Wheez, that's very kind of you - although Hyde Park would be more attractive as a place to stay were it the Sox we were talking about.  Why are you expecting not to have a place, by the way?  Or is that just your customary optimism leaking out?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #763 on: September 05, 2016, 08:37:21 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 05, 2016, 12:45:26 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on September 05, 2016, 12:05:46 PM

Thanks, Wheez, that's very kind of you - although Hyde Park would be more attractive as a place to stay were it the Sox we were talking about.  Why are you expecting not to have a place, by the way?  Or is that just your customary optimism leaking out?

You're welcome in my upstairs guest room. I can drop you off at the train station on my way to work, and then it's a mere 8-to-14-hour train ride to Chicago depending on how Amtrak feels that day.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #764 on: September 05, 2016, 10:27:06 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 05, 2016, 11:28:45 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 05, 2016, 10:54:12 AM

Except for your comparison to be valid you'd need to be charging me huge amounts to let me stay.

You'll at least help me change the batteries in my smoke detectors.
TIME TO POST!