News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,509 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #615 on: January 14, 2014, 11:31:17 AM »
It's okay, everybody. Cardinals fan and Billy Cub enthusiast Will Leitch has helicoptered in from Georgia to tell us What This All Means.

I love Clark now.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #616 on: January 14, 2014, 11:37:29 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 14, 2014, 11:31:17 AM
It's okay, everybody. Cardinals fan and Billy Cub enthusiast Will Leitch has helicoptered in from Georgia to tell us What This All Means.

I love Clark now.

Leitch was remarkably restrained, waiting until the third paragraph to make it about him.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #617 on: January 14, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 14, 2014, 08:47:33 AM
Quote from: Tony on January 13, 2014, 10:49:37 PM
I've heard a lot of people making fun of the new mascot because it looks like it's for kids. Aren't mascots supposed to be for kids? It's not a new logo. I don't understand why this is even a story.
Because not only does it suck, but it comes at a time when there is little interest on the actual product on the field.  And this comes up as another piece of proof that ownership knows they have to generate interest in a way other than the actual product the produce.

If the Red Sox did this, it would be seen as dumb and silly, but would probably be ignored.  Right now, this is Illinois introducing a new, cartoon Chief Illiniwek.

Do you mean Wally?  The mascot who was rolled out the year the Red Sox rode a 78-84 record to 4th place in the AL East?  And the year after they finished 3rd in the AL East?

I suppose back then there was little interest on the actual product on the field.  And it was proof that ownership knew they had to generate interest in a way other than the actual product they produced.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #618 on: January 14, 2014, 11:52:53 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 14, 2014, 11:37:29 AM

I love Clark now.

Leitch was remarkably restrained, waiting until the third paragraph to make it about him.

I am imagining that the unnamed Cubs' executive who had to confront Billy Bear was an irate Crane Kenney and it's making me laugh.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #619 on: January 14, 2014, 12:09:07 PM »
DPD

Also, about this:

QuoteDon't worry, though: Here is Clark. His eyes may be lost, but he's right here for you, terrifying your children.

Nobody should presume to know what terrifies children.  I've got 3 of them, and I'm still not entirely sure. 

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #620 on: January 14, 2014, 12:14:04 PM »

I love Clark now.

QuoteThe Cubs probably thought introducing Clark at the Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center's pediatric developmental center, helping kids with developmental challenges, would inure them to criticism.

How quickly those hacks were disabused of this once the kids started grilling them over Joe Ricketts' Ending Spending SuperPAC.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #621 on: January 14, 2014, 12:16:50 PM »
Be honest.  If Clark were around when you were a kid, would you be a Cub fan today?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #622 on: January 14, 2014, 12:18:22 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 14, 2014, 12:16:50 PM
Be honest.  If Clark were around when you were a kid, would you be a Cub fan today?

In all likelihood.

Is that a good thing?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #623 on: January 14, 2014, 12:37:33 PM »

I remember going to a game when I was really little, and there was some kind of traveling mascot there. I want to say it was for an ice cream company, and it was a polar bear. I thought it was kind of neat, and doubt it really made much of a difference in my decision to be a Cub fan.

My newphew's birthday is this weekend. Maybe I'll get him a Clark teddy bear to see if it affects his decision to be a Cub fan. I'll let you know in 20 years how the experiment works out.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #624 on: January 14, 2014, 12:51:31 PM »
Quote from: Tony on January 14, 2014, 12:37:33 PM

I remember going to a game when I was really little, and there was some kind of traveling mascot there. I want to say it was for an ice cream company, and it was a polar bear. I thought it was kind of neat, and doubt it really made much of a difference in my decision to be a Cub fan.

My newphew's birthday is this weekend. Maybe I'll get him a Clark teddy bear to see if it affects his decision to be a Cub fan. I'll let you know in 20 years how the experiment works out.

When I was a kid, the Famous Chicken used to perform during random Indianapolis Indians games and I thought he was pretty great. I traveled to Philadelphia with my parents and saw the Phils sweep a three-game series against the Cubs, throughout which the Phanatic was the most interesting attraction. I remember seeing some dumb-looking mascots at Sox Park and on television in Montreal etc. and hating them. Ultimately, I was so baseball-crazy in those days that the mascot could have been a giant rubber dildo that smacked kids across the face, and I'd still be 100% invested in the Cubs and the sport.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #625 on: January 14, 2014, 01:05:41 PM »

They had Peanuts Lowrey. Same thing.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #626 on: January 14, 2014, 01:21:42 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 14, 2014, 12:51:31 PM
Quote from: Tony on January 14, 2014, 12:37:33 PM
Be honest.  If Clark were around when you were a kid, would you be a Cub fan today?

When I was a kid, the Famous Chicken used to perform during random Indianapolis Indians games and I thought he was pretty great. I traveled to Philadelphia with my parents and saw the Phils sweep a three-game series against the Cubs, throughout which the Phanatic was the most interesting attraction. I remember seeing some dumb-looking mascots at Sox Park and on television in Montreal etc. and hating them. Ultimately, I was so baseball-crazy in those days that the mascot could have been a giant rubber dildo that smacked kids across the face, and I'd still be 100% invested in the Cubs and the sport.

Ribbie and Roobarb!

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #627 on: January 14, 2014, 01:37:11 PM »

I love Clark now.

Quote from: Cockbag LeitchEvery Cubs fan I talked to had that same sense of sadness and embarrassment: Why did we do this?

I wish he'd asked me, because I don't give a flying fuck about Clark.  If I need anything to get sad or embarrassed about, my life is rich with opportunity without having to worry about the Cubs creating a mascot for kids.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #628 on: January 14, 2014, 02:08:55 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 14, 2014, 01:37:11 PM

I love Clark now.

Quote from: Cockbag LeitchEvery Cubs fan I talked to had that same sense of sadness and embarrassment: Why did we do this?

I wish he'd asked me, because I don't give a flying fuck about Clark.  If I need anything to get sad or embarrassed about, my life is rich with opportunity without having to worry about the Cubs creating a mascot for kids.

Did you get your Fosters of the Month club shipment today?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #629 on: January 14, 2014, 02:11:06 PM »

I don't know anyone who's really upset about the mascot. It's just something to goof on until pitchers and catchers report, and then we can goof on them.
TIME TO POST!