News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unlistenable  ( 250,865 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unlistenable
« Reply #1050 on: October 24, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Who wants to hear Derek Holland impersonating Ryan Dempster impersonating Will Ferrell impersonating Harry Caray during the World Series?

America, that's who.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1051 on: October 25, 2011, 12:11:42 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 24, 2011, 08:01:00 PM
Who wants to hear Derek Holland impersonating Ryan Dempster impersonating Will Ferrell impersonating Harry Caray during the World Series?

America, that's who.

That was worse than Goose's hat.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1052 on: November 04, 2011, 12:33:30 AM »
New voice of the Twins, Corey Provus: "I like letting the game breathe."
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1053 on: November 04, 2011, 08:11:08 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on November 04, 2011, 12:33:30 AM

I was hoping they'd hire Judd.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1054 on: November 04, 2011, 08:53:24 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on November 04, 2011, 12:33:30 AM

I hate that son of a bitch almost as much as I hate Hawk and DJ.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1055 on: November 06, 2011, 10:44:24 PM »
Ron Washington: Master Motivator.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1056 on: January 02, 2012, 11:09:34 PM »
Something makes me think that whoever just ran an ad for "William Tell Banquets" on WGN hasn't heard of that Burroughs incident.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1057 on: January 03, 2012, 12:05:32 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on January 02, 2012, 11:09:34 PM
Something makes me think that whoever just ran an ad for "William Tell Banquets" on WGN hasn't heard of that Burroughs incident.

I thought his name was Chambers.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1058 on: January 14, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »
Bruce Levine trying to get into Robin Ventura's pants on Talking Baseball.

Actually, Talking Baseball in general.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1060 on: March 04, 2012, 03:34:01 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 27, 2012, 05:21:58 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/broadcaster-rankings-tv-intro-and-31/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/broadcaster-rankings-tv-10-1/

Quote6. Chicago Cubs
Broadcasters: Len Kasper and Bob Brenly
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.7, 3.9, 3.9

Three Reader Comments
• "Their balance is very good and they've improved immensely since their 2005 debut. When games are close, they do not detract from the on-field action; when the games are blowouts, their conversation does wander, but in a very entertaining way... Bob often tells stories from his playing days that are funny and self-deprecating."
• "Len Kasper is outstanding and often cites FanGraphs in an unobtrusive way that introduces more advanced stats. Bob Brenly's greatest asset as a broadcaster may be allowing Len to talk about these concepts without much interjection, although he occasionally produces astute analysis."
• "Brenly can predict the future."

Notes
As these, and other, repondents note, Kasper has cited FanGraphs with some frequency over the last year or two (or more, maybe, I don't know). So far as I know, he's really only rivaled by Yankees part-time colorman David Cone in terms of his comfort with advanced stats.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1061 on: March 04, 2012, 06:35:16 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on March 04, 2012, 03:34:01 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 27, 2012, 05:21:58 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/broadcaster-rankings-tv-intro-and-31/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/broadcaster-rankings-tv-10-1/

Quote6. Chicago Cubs
Broadcasters: Len Kasper and Bob Brenly
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.7, 3.9, 3.9

Three Reader Comments
• "Their balance is very good and they've improved immensely since their 2005 debut. When games are close, they do not detract from the on-field action; when the games are blowouts, their conversation does wander, but in a very entertaining way... Bob often tells stories from his playing days that are funny and self-deprecating."
• "Len Kasper is outstanding and often cites FanGraphs in an unobtrusive way that introduces more advanced stats. Bob Brenly's greatest asset as a broadcaster may be allowing Len to talk about these concepts without much interjection, although he occasionally produces astute analysis."
• "Brenly can predict the future."

Notes
As these, and other, repondents note, Kasper has cited FanGraphs with some frequency over the last year or two (or more, maybe, I don't know). So far as I know, he's really only rivaled by Yankees part-time colorman David Cone in terms of his comfort with advanced stats.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/broadcaster-rankings-tv-30-21/

Quote27. Atlanta Braves
Broadcasters: Chip Caray and Joe Simpson
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.8, 2.6, 2.7

Three Reader Comments
• "Chip Caray... has gone out of his way to bash sabermetrics, mainly the use of OBP, many times before, both on air and on his Twitter account."
• "Pales in comparison to the halcyon days of Joe and Boog Sciambi, who had a sort of odd couple charm and respect for one another."
• "Let me be the 108th respondent to say it... fisted."

Notes
The general sense from readers seems to be that Joe Simpson understands the game pretty well, and that his extended run with the team allows him to give historical context to certain events, players, etc. Caray has some supporters, although it seems difficult not to compare him (and unfairly so) with his father and grandfather.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/broadcaster-rankings-tv-20-11/

Quote18. Cincinnati Reds
Broadcasters: Thom Brennaman and Chris Welsh
Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 3.1, 3.2, 3.1

Three Reader Comments
• "For breaking down the game, that's about a 4.5 for Welsh, who is quite good, and a 2 for Thom, who is talented at announcing but too thinly spread to have a strong grasp of the game."
• "Brennaman : Baseball :: Not Washing Your Hands : Bathroom Etiquette."
• "Unctuous, repulsively insincere and condescending: Thom Brennaman's black heart routinely bleeds the life out of the game we love.... Chris Welsh isn't so bad. He tries to understand the new numbers, but discussing them with Brennaman is like talking about the theory of relativity with a soap dish."

Notes
Many of the reader comments confirm the one thing that those of us outside the Cincinnati market suspect about Thom Brennaman — namely, that he is very polished and, because of that, can appear disingenuous. Also, that one reader up there says his heart is black — which, that probably warrants medical attention.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1062 on: March 04, 2012, 09:05:35 PM »
• "Unctuous, repulsively insincere and condescending: Thom Brennaman's black heart routinely bleeds the life out of the game we love.... Chris Welsh isn't so bad. He tries to understand the new numbers, but discussing them with Brennaman is like talking about the theory of relativity with a soap dish."

Trying to have a discussion with you is like arguing with a table leg.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1063 on: March 05, 2012, 10:53:01 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 04, 2012, 09:05:35 PM

Trying to have a discussion with you is like arguing with a table leg.

Intrepid Reader: KELLY DWYER

Ditto.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1064 on: March 31, 2012, 02:50:16 PM »
Why hasn't anyone taught Keith Moreland how to say Illinois yet?