News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unlistenable  ( 251,330 )

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Totally Unlistenable
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2009, 04:13:44 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 15, 2009, 01:41:21 PM
Quote from: Fork on July 15, 2009, 01:25:23 PM
Quote from: Slak on July 15, 2009, 01:24:05 PM
Quote from: CBStew on July 15, 2009, 12:52:23 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 15, 2009, 12:39:27 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 15, 2009, 11:09:48 AM
Quote from: Dave B on July 15, 2009, 11:04:36 AM
Just heard Kerry Sayers doing the Scoreboard Update on The Score. Glad to see she got some work.

Seems to me radio plays against her strengths.

I was just thinking the same thing. The sports media in this town is such a total fucking clown college I can't fucking take it anymore.

On the other hand, Keith Moreland was really enjoyable to listen to.  Eventually we might get tired of his act, but it is hard to imagine ever getting tired of being reminded of the 1984 team.

I was 4 years old when that team choked. The best memories of the '84 team are all based around watching a drunken Alphonse J. Peck destroy a picture of Smilin' Steve Garvey with his bare fist at Sluggers.

Got news for you kid, I was 22 in 1984, and that's my favorite 1984 memory too.

I saw Pete Rose's first game as player/manager for the Reds that year against the Cubs in Cincy. Watched a Betamax cassette of the locker room champagne orgy in Pissburgh about eleventy bajillion times until it flat out melted. Meeting Fork and Slak and re-uniting with Huard was pretty cool too. But for me, it'll always be a 2007 memory complete with a Golden Shower Sombrero for Rick Ankiel, fresh off a drug cheat revelation. Still got a scar on my knuckle from that day. I'll show you sometime if you ask.

Internet librarian'd
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2009, 10:04:58 AM »
While doing some driving last night, I caught some of Zonk's color commentary on the radio. He was pretty damn good. I wonder if Pat Hughes appreciates the upgrade or is mad that he gets a little less air-time.

Also, Hub Arkush and Brian Paruch are pretty decent in that 6-10 spot on The Score. Hub is a lot more tolerable when he's talking about something other than just the Bears, so it's listenable.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2009, 10:13:56 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on July 17, 2009, 10:04:58 AM
Hub is a lot more tolerable when he's talking about something other than just the Bears, so it's listenable.
Listening to a guy talk about something he knows nothing about is listenable?

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2009, 10:17:16 AM »
While doing some driving last night, I caught some of Zonk's color commentary on the radio. He was pretty damn good. I wonder if Pat Hughes appreciates the upgrade or is mad that he gets a little less air-time.

Also, Hub Arkush and Brian Paruch are pretty decent in that 6-10 spot on The Score. Hub is a lot more tolerable when he's talking about something other than just the Bears, so it's listenable.

Hub actually was the one guy on that station last year that was able to talk about hockey without having to quickly resort to tangental elements like the anthem, the Hawks' place in Chicago, and how Canadiens talk funny.  Just real honest-to-goodness analysis about what was happening on the ice, so I appreciated that.

As for the Cubs radio broadacst...it's a funny thing about Hughes.  While my heart goes out to him for having to do everything but change Santo's diapers, part of me also recognizes that Hughes doesn't mind this  role.  While his adroit play-by-play call suffers from having that blubbering mascot pooh all over it, he's also recognzied that by playing Santo's babysitter, it actually raises his profile so he's still getting recognition, even if it's more for being Santo's partner than being an outstanding PBP man in his own right.  Still, the guy deserves a real complementary partner.  Neither Moreland or Dave Otto are outstanding, but the broadcasts are worlds better than with Santo moaning away.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2009, 10:18:26 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 17, 2009, 10:13:56 AM
Hub is a lot more tolerable when he's talking about something other than just the Bears, so it's listenable.

I'm sorry.  When did you get a radio show now?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2009, 10:22:46 AM »
Quote from: MAD on July 17, 2009, 10:17:16 AM

Hub actually was the one guy on that station last year that was able to talk about hockey without having to quickly resort to tangental elements like the anthem, the Hawks' place in Chicago, and how Canadiens talk funny.  Just real honest-to-goodness analysis about what was happening on the ice, so I appreciated that.

As for the Cubs radio broadacst...it's a funny thing about Hughes.  While my heart goes out to him for having to do everything but change Santo's diapers, part of me also recognizes that Hughes doesn't mind this  role.  While his adroit play-by-play call suffers from having that blubbering mascot pooh all over it, he's also recognzied that by playing Santo's babysitter, it actually raises his profile so he's still getting recognition, even if it's more for being Santo's partner than being an outstanding PBP man in his own right.  Still, the guy deserves a real complementary partner.  Neither Moreland or Dave Otto are outstanding, but the broadcasts are worlds better than with Santo moaning away.

I have a feeling that if anyone here had the opportunity to spend some extended time with Ron Santo far away from anything related to brodcasting that they would show him the same genuine affection that Pat does.  He's actually a remarkably nice old guy.

Not as nice as Pat Hughes, however.  That guy is world class.  In the top-3 nicest guys on the planet today.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2009, 10:24:11 AM »

What the hell does Hub Arkush know about hockey? Did he ever play professional hockey?

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2009, 10:25:15 AM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on July 17, 2009, 10:22:46 AM
I have a feeling that if anyone here had the opportunity to spend some extended time with Ron Santo far away from anything related to brodcasting that they would show him the same genuine affection that Pat does.  He's actually a remarkably nice old guy.

You should meet this one dude named Mike...
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2009, 10:30:27 AM »
Quote from: MAD on July 17, 2009, 10:18:26 AM

I start on Webio on Monday.  They even gave me a signing bonus.  Just got the check today.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2009, 10:33:51 AM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on July 17, 2009, 10:22:46 AM

Not as nice as Pat Hughes, however.  That guy is world class.  In the top-3 nicest guys on the planet today.

I wouldn't care if Ron Santo cured puppies of cancer in his spare time.  He is just absolutely aggravating to listen to these days.

Quote from: Waco Kid on July 17, 2009, 10:24:11 AM

Hub actually was the one guy on that station last year that was able to talk about hockey without having to quickly resort to tangental elements like the anthem, the Hawks' place in Chicago, and how Canadiens talk funny.  Just real honest-to-goodness analysis about what was happening on the ice, so I appreciated that.

As for the Cubs radio broadacst...it's a funny thing about Hughes.  While my heart goes out to him for having to do everything but change Santo's diapers, part of me also recognizes that Hughes doesn't mind this  role.  While his adroit play-by-play call suffers from having that blubbering mascot pooh all over it, he's also recognzied that by playing Santo's babysitter, it actually raises his profile so he's still getting recognition, even if it's more for being Santo's partner than being an outstanding PBP man in his own right.  Still, the guy deserves a real complementary partner.  Neither Moreland or Dave Otto are outstanding, but the broadcasts are worlds better than with Santo moaning away.

What the hell does Hub Arkush know about hockey? Did he ever play professional hockey?

Well played.

"WHERE'D YOU PLAY BALL?  HUH?"
Eli G. (6-22-10)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2009, 10:45:16 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 17, 2009, 10:30:27 AM
Quote from: MAD on July 17, 2009, 10:18:26 AM

I start on Webio on Monday.  They even gave me a signing bonus.  Just got the check today.

Run, don't walk, to the bank and cash that sucker.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2009, 11:30:53 AM »
Quote from: MAD on July 17, 2009, 10:33:51 AM
I wouldn't care if Ron Santo cured puppies of cancer in his spare time.

The fuck good would that do?  You just want them cured so you could punch them in the face when you listen to Santo.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2009, 12:43:04 PM »
Speaking of totally unlistenable, did anyone else notice how factually terrible Buck was during the ASG?  During the first inning, a single to center was "a single to right".  And he called an 82 mph Lincecum change his "fastball".  He was especially terrible during that game.  Must have been too busy watching the Bachelor to prepare.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2009, 01:11:32 PM »
Quote from: PiniellaTailOnTheDonkey on July 17, 2009, 12:43:04 PM
Speaking of totally unlistenable, did anyone else notice how factually terrible Buck was during the ASG?  During the first inning, a single to center was "a single to right".  And he called an 82 mph Lincecum change his "fastball".  He was especially terrible during that game.  Must have been too busy watching the Bachelor to prepare.

He also misjudged more than one fly ball as a potential homerun (raising his voice, etc....).

I think you're right - he was simply devastated that the Canadian chick kept the guy who looks like Greg Brady. (My wife watches it, ok?)  OK?!

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2009, 02:45:51 PM »
Quote from: Indolent Reader on July 17, 2009, 01:11:32 PM
Quote from: PiniellaTailOnTheDonkey on July 17, 2009, 12:43:04 PM

He also misjudged more than one fly ball as a potential homerun (raising his voice, etc....).

I think you're right - he was simply devastated that the Canadian chick kept the guy who looks like Greg Brady. (My wife watches it, ok?)  OK?!

I don't have a clue what the last part meant. But the fact that Buck made that many factual errors during the broadcast kind of flies in the face of all the retarded, "He's competent, he's better than Chip Caray, at least he knows the game..." cocksmoke I hear once in awhile in his defense. So fuck anybody who ever said anything nice about him and his ass-chin. I want to punch his throat with a penny nail stuck betwixt my ring and middle fingers. I want this more than a million dollars or world peace. I'd just squander those things. But that punch, I'd make that one count.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.