News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unlistenable  ( 251,347 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unlistenable
« Reply #795 on: May 18, 2010, 09:14:05 AM »
Quote from: MAD on May 18, 2010, 09:09:23 AM
Quote from: CT III on May 18, 2010, 09:07:21 AM
Quote from: MAD on May 18, 2010, 09:01:38 AM
Quote from: Slaky on May 18, 2010, 07:53:05 AM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on May 18, 2010, 05:01:08 AM
Quote from: Slaky on May 17, 2010, 09:15:24 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 17, 2010, 09:02:13 PM
Tim Stoddard? What? Rich Bordi wasn't available?

True story - he was a pitching coach for me in high school. I took private lessons from him at Grand Slam USA. Best place ever.

The one in Palatine?

That's the only one I know of.

<puts onion on belt>

Time was, as you sped north on IL 53, you could spot, at the end of the ramp on Northwest Highway*, the oddly shaped warehouse, and you could see GRAND SLAM from that spot.

*A street that, despite it's history as an old Indian route and a such, and a major thoroughfare for our modern towns and villages, has to share space wtih a gravy-soaked mid manager who who hasn't distinguished himself from any of his last 15 predecessor)

Over Jim Hendry Way?  

No, I don't think Huey will EVER get over Jim Hendry Way.

Wait until I petition that they re-name Roosevelt Road, west of 53 and east of 59, "Eddie Olczyk Lane".

That would be apt, as I think both those things suck.

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #796 on: May 18, 2010, 11:16:42 AM »
I guess I should point out that there was, for a very brief time (say 1994-1998) a Grand Slam USA on Virginia Cutoff road and  route 31 in Crystal Lake.  Many a spoiled rich kid got private lessons by some former single-A shortstop in those days. 

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #797 on: May 18, 2010, 06:23:31 PM »
Quote from: MAD on May 17, 2010, 10:41:25 PM

True story - he was a pitching coach for me in high school. I took private lessons from him at Grand Slam USA. Best place ever.

Grand Slam was the shit.  They also used that weird, rectangular building for ""Photon", whatever the hell that was (some 1980's embryo of laser tag?).  How long's that been gone?  So easy to find even a 16 year old could drive there from DUPAGE County, except the time my buddy needed to make it there for an offseason hitting league match and wound up calling me from Stone Park.

That place was about as well lit as something that isn't really well lit at all.  I took a Dan Pohlman fastball off the head while catching lessons for him.  I also got to talk with Buzz Capra (16 game winner in 1974!) about how to bet horse races.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #798 on: May 18, 2010, 07:49:24 PM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on May 18, 2010, 06:23:31 PM
Quote from: MAD on May 17, 2010, 10:41:25 PM

Grand Slam was the shit.  They also used that weird, rectangular building for ""Photon", whatever the hell that was (some 1980's embryo of laser tag?).  How long's that been gone?  So easy to find even a 16 year old could drive there from DUPAGE County, except the time my buddy needed to make it there for an offseason hitting league match and wound up calling me from Stone Park.

That place was about as well lit as something that isn't really well lit at all.  I took a Dan Pohlman fastball off the head while catching lessons for him.  I also got to talk with Buzz Capra (16 game winner in 1974!) about how to bet horse races.

Buzz would show up at Lane Tech when whichever team he was playing for at the time would come through. I think he led the league in ERA that year too.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #799 on: May 23, 2010, 08:11:39 AM »
So on the first day the Hawks areable to clinch a berth in the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time since the SCORE was only 6 months old and the only sports talker in town, both sports radio stations are sticking with their usual combined 6 hours of baseball from 9-12. 

You'd think WGN would ditch what they had and throw down some hockey chatter today.  I'll even take Pud Sirott.   I've no bone to pick with Rick Kogan--I enjoy a good Royko story as much as anybody--this is just sports retarded.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #800 on: May 23, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
Quote from: MAD on May 23, 2010, 08:11:39 AM
So on the first day the Hawks areable to clinch a berth in the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time since the SCORE was only 6 months old and the only sports talker in town, both sports radio stations are sticking with their usual combined 6 hours of baseball from 9-12.  

You'd think WGN would ditch what they had and throw down some hockey chatter today.  I'll even take Pud Sirott.   I've no bone to pick with Rick Kogan--I enjoy a good Royko story as much as anybody--this is just sports retarded.

I don't want to hear Matt Speigel and Barry Rozner talk about anything except maybe their own impending suicides.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #801 on: May 23, 2010, 08:30:08 AM »
Quote from: CT III on May 23, 2010, 08:23:00 AM

You'd think WGN would ditch what they had and throw down some hockey chatter today.  I'll even take Pud Sirott.   I've no bone to pick with Rick Kogan--I enjoy a good Royko story as much as anybody--this is just sports retarded.

I don't want to hear Matt Speigel and Barry Rozner talk about anything except maybe their own impending suicides.

I hear ya.  What's infuriating is that the SCORE actually has Hub Arkush on and he's not talking about the Bears but, instead...the Western Conference Finals of the NBA.  Hub can actually talk about hockey and sound like a guy who knows what he's talking about.  Why, gord, why?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #802 on: May 23, 2010, 11:11:47 AM »
Quote from: MAD on May 23, 2010, 08:30:08 AM

I hear ya.  What's infuriating is that the SCORE actually has Hub Arkush on and he's not talking about the Bears but, instead...the Western Conference Finals of the NBA.  Hub can actually talk about hockey and sound like a guy who knows what he's talking about.  Why, gord, why?

So ungrateful bastards like you might actually start appreciating the Puckcast.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #803 on: May 23, 2010, 12:47:48 PM »
Quote from: Fork on May 23, 2010, 11:11:47 AM

I hear ya.  What's infuriating is that the SCORE actually has Hub Arkush on and he's not talking about the Bears but, instead...the Western Conference Finals of the NBA.  Hub can actually talk about hockey and sound like a guy who knows what he's talking about.  Why, gord, why?

Sure, but I know you, and I can listen  to you laugh at your own jokes non-stop for 90 minutes in person.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #804 on: May 23, 2010, 01:59:20 PM »
Quote from: MAD on May 23, 2010, 12:47:48 PM

I hear ya.  What's infuriating is that the SCORE actually has Hub Arkush on and he's not talking about the Bears but, instead...the Western Conference Finals of the NBA.  Hub can actually talk about hockey and sound like a guy who knows what he's talking about.  Why, gord, why?

Sure, but I know you, and I can listen  to you laugh at your own jokes non-stop for 90 minutes in person.

Yeah, but how many chances do you get to listen to me NOT laugh at them?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #805 on: May 23, 2010, 07:50:39 PM »
Quote from: MAD on May 23, 2010, 12:47:48 PM

Sure smartass. Hope you enjoy the Red Suit next season.
TIME TO POST!

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #806 on: May 27, 2010, 02:48:51 PM »
I just wanted to take a moment to say that I laugh every time Boers and Bernstein play the sound bite of Bob Barker saying, "And our Showcase Showdown winner is Gay!"

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #807 on: May 29, 2010, 05:06:33 PM »
You haven't lived until you've heard Ron and Pat spend an inning bullshitting with Jim Belushi.

By the way, The Belush mentioned that he'd been at a game earlier in the week and sat in the owners box with Mr. Ricketts.

HE NO LONGER GETS IT!

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #808 on: May 29, 2010, 08:38:45 PM »
Quote from: CT III on May 29, 2010, 05:06:33 PM
You haven't lived until you've heard Ron and Pat spend an inning bullshitting with Jim Belushi.

By the way, The Belush mentioned that he'd been at a game earlier in the week and sat in the owners box with Mr. Ricketts.

HE NO LONGER GETS IT!

I had the game on XM in the car and had to change the channel. That was just fucking painful.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #809 on: May 29, 2010, 10:17:46 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on May 29, 2010, 08:38:45 PM
Quote from: CT III on May 29, 2010, 05:06:33 PM

HE NO LONGER GETS IT!

I had the game on XM in the car and had to change the channel. That was just fucking painful.

I had to step out of the room, but mainly because I started imagining Belushi's head superposed on that of Zardoz.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!