News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unlistenable  ( 251,432 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unlistenable
« Reply #870 on: September 02, 2010, 03:41:48 PM »

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #871 on: September 02, 2010, 03:56:22 PM »

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #872 on: September 02, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #873 on: September 06, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
Fuck Tom Dreesen.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #874 on: September 06, 2010, 08:38:18 PM »

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #875 on: September 06, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »
I didn't watch when I saw it was him, I assume he told several timely Frank Sinatra anecdotes?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #876 on: September 06, 2010, 09:12:16 PM »
Quote from: Andy on September 06, 2010, 08:50:17 PM
I didn't watch when I saw it was him, I assume he told several timely Frank Sinatra anecdotes?

I think they just play the same interview over and over.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #877 on: September 06, 2010, 09:37:14 PM »
Quote from: Andy on September 06, 2010, 08:50:17 PM

On radio he did mention that his new act is all about Sinatra.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #878 on: September 06, 2010, 10:46:56 PM »
Look who I'm hanging out with!  You all love him, right?  Never thought for a minute when I was growing up in an all black school I'd see a half-black guy get this much better at me than golf!  Maybe his white half is in charge of the golf course and his black half does the intercourse, amirite?  Ha-ha!

You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #879 on: September 07, 2010, 08:42:09 AM »
"Corporate America's Favorite Entertainer"

Awesome.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #880 on: September 07, 2010, 10:26:16 AM »
Tom who?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #881 on: September 07, 2010, 11:35:25 AM »
I suppose this is as good a place as any to tell my Tom Dreesen story.
While not nearly as epic as Slaky's bathroom story I'm going to tell it anyway.

This happened around 1983, which would make flannj 24 years old.
I was working during the day at the Board of Trade and tending bar weekday nights and held another bartending job on weekends.
In addition, I was dealing with the complexities of trying to keep the girl I was living with from finding out about my dalliances with the future Mrs. flannj.
Needless to say I was burning the candle at both ends.
Which meant I was a bit of a zombie. This is important to the story.

One of the bartending jobs I had was at Bones, a Lettuce Entertain You restaurant in Lincolnwood.
I was working on a Sunday morning doing my prep work, the place was empty as it was about a half hour before we opened.
Three people walked in, two guys and a woman, and I recognized one of the men as Tom Dreesen.
The other guy appeared to be a friend and the woman seemed to be his agent.
I recognized Dreesen from TV. Most likely the Tonight Show, and given that at that time my comedic interest ran more to George Carlin, Emo Phillips, and Sam Kinison I knew him to be the unfunny fuck that he remains today.

The three of them walked to the bar and I asked if I could get them anything. Dreesen and the other guy declined but the woman asked for a virgin strawberry daiquiri.
I set about making the drink in the blender directly in front of them.
They were going over some notes comparing different comedy clubs in the Chicago area. At one point Dreesen asked me if I could recommend any clubs other than Zanie's.
Now given my exhausted state Zanie's was all I could think of and like a moron I replied "Uh, well there's always Zanie's".

They stared at me and I returned to making the drink.

Now when making a frozen blended drink the order in which the ingredients go into  the blender is key.
Put the wet ingredients in first followed by the crushed ice. Otherwise the spinning blades create an air pocket at the bottom of the ice and nothing happens.
I had made hundreds of these drinks before, it's not rocket science. But of course I managed to fuck this one up.
So while the blades are spinning uselessly doing nothing other than making an annoying racket, I took a bar spoon and tried to coax the ingredients to blend.
Now due to being a clumsy oaf and half out of it I managed to drop the spoon into the blender, which collided with the furiously spinning blades and POW.

Frozen strawberry daiquiri everywhere.

While his two companions managed to avoid most of the explosion, Dreesen was not so lucky. I looked to my horror and saw that his previously spotless white (I shit you not) Member's Only jacket was now covered in concentrated frozen strawberries and daiquiri mix.

Now as much as I would like to say that he was a total dick about the situation, as he had every right to be, that was not the case. I offered to get the manager and assured him that we would pay for whatever cleaning or replacement that would be necessary. He assured me not to worry about it and they quickly decided to get the hell out of there and as far away from me as possible.

So every time that talentless, coattail riding, has been shows up at a Cubs game I take pleasure in actually having accomplished a direct assault upon him that the rest of you can only dream of.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #882 on: September 07, 2010, 11:40:02 AM »
Quote from: flannj on September 07, 2010, 11:35:25 AM
I suppose this is as good a place as any to tell my Tom Dreesen story.
While not nearly as epic as Slaky's bathroom story I'm going to tell it anyway.

This happened around 1983, which would make flannj 24 years old.
I was working during the day at the Board of Trade and tending bar weekday nights and held another bartending job on weekends.
In addition, I was dealing with the complexities of trying to keep the girl I was living with from finding out about my dalliances with the future Mrs. flannj.
Needles to say I was burning the candle at both ends.
Which meant I was a bit of a zombie. This is important to the story.

One of the bartending jobs I had was at Bones, a Lettuce Entertain You restaurant in Lincolnwood.
I was working on a Sunday morning doing my prep work, the place was empty as it was about a half hour before we opened.
Three people walked in, two guys and a woman, and I recognize one of the men as Tom Dreesen.
The other guy appeared to be a friend and the woman seemed to be his agent.
I recognized Dreesen from TV. Most likely the Tonight Show, and given that at that time my comedic interest ran more to George Carlin, Emo Phillips, and Sam Kinison I knew him to be the unfunny fuck that he remains today.

The three of them walked to the bar and I asked if I could get them anything. Dreesen and the other guy declined but the woman asked for a virgin strawberry daiquiri.
I set about making the drink in the blender directly in front of them.
They were going over some notes comparing different comedy clubs in the Chicago area. At one point Dreesen asked me if I could recommend any clubs other than Zanie's.
Now given my exhausted state Zanie's was all I could think of and like a moron I replied "Uh, well there's always Zanie's".

They stared at me and I returned to making the drink.

Now when making a frozen blended drink the order in which the ingredients go into  the blender is key.
Put the wet ingredients in first followed by the crushed ice. Otherwise the spinning blades create an air pocket at the bottom of the ice and nothing happens.
I had made hundreds of these drinks before, it's not rocket science. But of course I managed to fuck this one up.
So while the blades are spinning uselessly doing nothing other than making an annoying racket, I took a bar spoon and tried to coax the ingredients to blend.
Now due to being a clumsy oaf and half out of it I managed to drop the spoon into the blender, which collided with the furiously spinning blades and POW.

Frozen strawberry daiquiri everywhere.

While his two companions managed to avoid most of the explosion, Dreesen was not so lucky. I looked to my horror and saw that his previously spotless white (I shit you not) Member's Only jacket was now covered in concentrated frozen strawberries and daiquiri mix.

Now as much as I would like to say that he was a total dick about the situation, as he had every right to be, that was not the case. I offered to get the manager and assured him that we would pay for whatever cleaning or replacement that would be necessary. He assured me not to worry about it and they quickly decided to get the hell out of there and as far away from me as possible.

So every time that talentless, coattail riding, has been shows up at a Cubs game I take pleasure in actually having accomplished a direct assault upon him that the rest of you can only dream of.

I love approximately 100% of your posts.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #883 on: September 07, 2010, 11:43:47 AM »
I applaud flannj for being everything good and proper in the world.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #884 on: September 07, 2010, 11:47:43 AM »
Next time I go to L. Wood Tap, I'll laugh the second I see the bar.