News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unlistenable  ( 251,383 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unlistenable
« Reply #1200 on: October 11, 2012, 06:42:05 PM »
Dan Bernstein's condescending attitude bothers me far less than his fucking soapboxes. For a guy who complains about callers who ask "why isn't anyone else talking about this?!," he sure seems to think he's the only guy enraged by the hypocrisy and lies surrounding the Sandusky case. Also, his smugness as he told Eric Winston he was wrong for saying football players aren't gladiators is intolerable because he's another one of those saying "if you play football you will get concussed and you will die." Other studies suggest pro athletes live longer. Concussions are a serious issue but just because some football players may die down the road from accidental injuries sustained on the field that suddenly makes us all bread and circus plebeians cheering on a bloodsport? Eat shit, Mrs. Lovejoy.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1201 on: October 11, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 11, 2012, 06:42:05 PM
Dan Bernstein's condescending attitude bothers me far less than his fucking soapboxes. For a guy who complains about callers who ask "why isn't anyone else talking about this?!," he sure seems to think he's the only guy enraged by the hypocrisy and lies surrounding the Sandusky case. Also, his smugness as he told Eric Winston he was wrong for saying football players aren't gladiators is intolerable because he's another one of those saying "if you play football you will get concussed and you will die." Other studies suggest pro athletes live longer. Concussions are a serious issue but just because some football players may die down the road from accidental injuries sustained on the field that suddenly makes us all bread and circus plebeians cheering on a bloodsport? Eat shit, Mrs. Lovejoy.

Pretty much all that.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1202 on: October 11, 2012, 09:32:56 PM »
Other studies suggest pro athletes live longer.

Right. Just not football players.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1203 on: October 11, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 11, 2012, 09:32:56 PM
Other studies suggest pro athletes live longer.

Right. Just not football players.

Well, there's this federal study from 1994. It did come with some qualifications, including:

QuoteHowever, the study group contains a relatively young group of men, only a few of which have reached the age of 50. Researchers will therefore not be able to determine their average age of death for several years.

QuoteNIOSH did find an increase in nervous system disorders. This increase is due to four deaths of what is commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease. In addition to the three highly publicized deaths of San Francisco 49ers, NIOSH documented a fourth. Because the causes of Lou Gehrig's disease are not clearly understood, it is difficult to speculate about what might put football players at increased risk for this disease. In addition, it is possible that this cluster of cases occurred by chance.

Also: linemen are fat and suffer from more heart disease than normal. Go figure.

The following is from what appears to be the 2007 update to the original study, "Body Mass Index, Playing Position, Race, and the Cardiovascular Mortality of Retired Professional Football Players":

QuoteConcern exists about cardiovascular disease (CVD) in professional football players. We examined whether playing position and size influence CVD mortality in 3,439 National Football League players with ≥5 pension-credited playing seasons from 1959 to 1988. Standardized mortality ratios (SMRs) compared player mortality through 2007 to the United States population of men stratified by age, race, and calendar year... In conclusion, National Football League players from the 1959 through 1988 seasons had decreased overall mortality but those with a playing-time BMI ≥30 kg/m2 had 2 times the risk of CVD mortality compared to other players and African-American players and defensive linemen had higher CVD mortality compared to other players even after adjusting for playing-time BMI.

Compared to the United States population, overall mortality and mortality from cancer and CVD were significantly decreased (Table 2). Overall mortality for all 3 position categories was also decreased (Table 3). CVD mortality was significantly decreased for position categories I and II but not for category III. A subgroup analysis showed that defensive but not offensive linemen had increased SMRs for all CVDs and cardiomyopathy. Internal analyses (standardized rate ratios) comparing mortality across position categories also found higher standardized CVD mortality rates for defensive but not for offensive linemen compared to category I positions.

Overall, retired NFL players from the 1959 through 1988 seasons showed decreased all-cause and CVD mortalities compared to a referent United States population of men. When examining CVD mortality by playing position, defensive linemen had a 42% higher CVD mortality compared to the United States population of men, whereas offensive linemen had no increase. Players with a playing-time BMI ≥30 kg/m2 had 2 times the CVD mortality risk compared to other players. After adjusting for differences in playing-time BMI, African-American players had a higher CVD mortality risk compared to white players and defensive linemen had a higher CVD mortality risk compared to other players including offensive linemen.

Players' overall decreased mortality risk is likely explained by several factors. Previous studies have documented players' low level of cigarette smoking, an important contributor to decreasing mortality. Although 90% of players would be classified as overweight or obese based on BMI alone, BMI is likely to overestimate adiposity in athletes who have a larger proportion of muscle mass. Players' body composition and high fitness levels likely contribute to their lower than expected overall mortality compared to the general United States population, especially given their increased size.

a) Comparing mortality rates of pro athletes to that of the rest of us brain-dead slobs is apples-to-oranges.

b) The studies seem to have been concerned primarily with cardiovascular mortality and have little to say about neurological disorders.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1204 on: October 12, 2012, 08:17:14 AM »
Thanks Tank. I'm certainly not dismissing the concussion data. It's a serious issue, one that hopefully is getting better thanks to better awareness and changes in the way they respond to it. But the number of high-profile cases that are being reported does not necessarily mean that the majority of football players are necessarily going to die or even have shorter lives from injuries sustained on the field. It's a far cry from saying that death is clearly the result of this sport and that it's part of the appeal and thus, while ugly, it wasn't wrong for Chiefs fans to cheer Cassel's injury because you totally are gladiators and the meatballs in the stands are just a bunch of savages, as Bernstein said.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1205 on: October 12, 2012, 08:51:08 AM »
I thought they were actually cheering the emergence of Brady Quinn to the lineup, which is even more meatball.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1207 on: October 24, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1208 on: October 24, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 12, 2012, 08:17:14 AM
Thanks Tank. I'm certainly not dismissing the concussion data. It's a serious issue, one that hopefully is getting better thanks to better awareness and changes in the way they respond to it. But the number of high-profile cases that are being reported does not necessarily mean that the majority of football players are necessarily going to die or even have shorter lives from injuries sustained on the field. It's a far cry from saying that death is clearly the result of this sport and that it's part of the appeal and thus, while ugly, it wasn't wrong for Chiefs fans to cheer Cassel's injury because you totally are gladiators and the meatballs in the stands are just a bunch of savages, as Bernstein said.

Can someone explain to me what is going on with football helmuts this NCAA season?  Perhaps I am more aware of the number of helmuts that are coming off during play becasue players have to sit out one play when it happens.  But it certainly seems that losing one's helmut is much more frequent now. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1209 on: October 24, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 24, 2012, 05:13:53 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 12, 2012, 08:17:14 AM

Can someone explain to me what is going on with football helmuts this NCAA season?  Perhaps I am more aware of the number of helmuts that are coming off during play becasue players have to sit out one play when it happens.  But it certainly seems that losing one's helmut is much more frequent now. 

I don't know why I find this so damn funny.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1210 on: October 25, 2012, 04:12:51 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 20, 2012, 04:27:46 PM
Harry Doyle: Grace is a convicted felon, isn't he Monty?
Monty: Doesn't say that here.
Doyle: Well, he should be.

Mark Grace getting closer to jail time.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/20121025mark-grace-indicted-dui-counts.html

QuoteFormer Diamondback Mark Grace has been indicted on four felony DUI counts and could face up to 3.75 years in prison if convicted, the Maricopa County Attorney's Office reported Thursday.

A grand jury on Oct. 3 indicted Grace on four felony counts of aggravated driving or actual physical control while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs, said Jerry Cobb, Maricopa County Attorney's Office spokesman.

Grace is charged not only with driving under the influence but also driving with a suspended license and without an interlock device, as required under his previous DUI conviction.

If convicted on all counts, Grace faces between 1 and 3.75 years in prison on each count, but the sentences would likely be imposed concurrently because they relate to one incident, Cobb said.

Grace could face less time if he pleads guilty to reduced charges, Cobb said. He is scheduled to appear in court for a pretrial conference at 8:30 a.m. Dec. 5, before Commissioner Jerry Bernstein.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1211 on: October 25, 2012, 07:01:45 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 25, 2012, 04:12:51 PM

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/20121025mark-grace-indicted-dui-counts.html

QuoteFormer Diamondback Mark Grace has been indicted on four felony DUI counts and could face up to 3.75 years in prison if convicted, the Maricopa County Attorney's Office reported Thursday.

A grand jury on Oct. 3 indicted Grace on four felony counts of aggravated driving or actual physical control while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs, said Jerry Cobb, Maricopa County Attorney's Office spokesman.

Grace is charged not only with driving under the influence but also driving with a suspended license and without an interlock device, as required under his previous DUI conviction.

If convicted on all counts, Grace faces between 1 and 3.75 years in prison on each count, but the sentences would likely be imposed concurrently because they relate to one incident, Cobb said.

Grace could face less time if he pleads guilty to reduced charges, Cobb said. He is scheduled to appear in court for a pretrial conference at 8:30 a.m. Dec. 5, before Commissioner Jerry Bernstein.

Mark Grace and Sheriff Joe should have fun together.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1212 on: October 26, 2012, 10:33:58 AM »
Quote from: Shooter on October 25, 2012, 07:01:45 PM

I bet he gets a month.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1213 on: October 26, 2012, 10:36:28 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on October 26, 2012, 10:33:58 AM
Quote from: Shooter on October 25, 2012, 07:01:45 PM

I bet he gets a month.

He'll probably get to be some inmate's slumpbuster.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1214 on: October 26, 2012, 10:37:35 AM »
Doesn't Arizona have that giant tent party in the desert for drunk jail? I think Khabibulin spent some time out there.