News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unlistenable  ( 251,337 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unlistenable
« Reply #1500 on: September 03, 2015, 04:22:35 PM »

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1501 on: September 03, 2015, 04:47:28 PM »
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1502 on: September 20, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »
Big Cat Williams and Olin Kreutz might turn out to be a good postgame listen, but why WSCR is saddling them with Hub "The Bears Will Beat the Cardinals" Arkush as the host is beyond me.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1503 on: September 25, 2015, 12:33:06 AM »
DPD.  I'm using the offday to re-watch Jake's no-hitter and holy shit does John Kruk have stupid opinions about baseball.  I haven't watched an ESPN game all year, so it's been a while since I heard him.  Dan and Jessica should work as a two-person crew and just send Kruk home.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

pisomojado8

• Chocolate Salty Balls
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #1504 on: October 21, 2015, 08:04:48 PM »
The TBS broadcast crew. Sounds like the Mets TV network.
"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time."

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1505 on: October 21, 2015, 08:22:47 PM »
WBBM just cut off the play-by-play and bizarrely launched into a traffic-and-weather segment.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1506 on: October 21, 2015, 11:15:05 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on October 21, 2015, 08:22:47 PM
WBBM just cut off the play-by-play and bizarrely launched into a traffic-and-weather segment.

The traffic news could not have been while the Cubs were batting.

I'll show myself out
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1507 on: March 06, 2016, 04:18:44 PM »
How did we ever like Bob Brenly?  Everything he says sounds like a terrible line reading.

Also, Tuffy Gosewisch is their Ryan Dempster.  Allegedly funny and always has time for broadcasters, therefore they worship him.  Stay away.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1508 on: March 06, 2016, 04:41:48 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 06, 2016, 04:18:44 PM
How did we ever like Bob Brenly?  Everything he says sounds like a terrible line reading.

Also, Tuffy Gosewisch is their Ryan Dempster.  Allegedly funny and always has time for broadcasters, therefore they worship him.  Stay away.

I got to listen to Len while driving on a beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon.
It was sweet.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1509 on: March 06, 2016, 07:37:28 PM »
Quote from: flannj on March 06, 2016, 04:41:48 PM
How did we ever like Bob Brenly?  Everything he says sounds like a terrible line reading.

Also, Tuffy Gosewisch is their Ryan Dempster.  Allegedly funny and always has time for broadcasters, therefore they worship him.  Stay away.

It was sweet.

Arizona's broadcast was the only option on MLB.tv today. Brutal. Be glad you didn't have to hear two innings (with Ken Rosenthal) celebrating Dave Stewart's all-out assault on these VANILLA sabermetric nerds with their computers and stats. Dave Stewart runs his team from his GUT, dammit.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1510 on: March 07, 2016, 09:10:55 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 06, 2016, 07:37:28 PM

It was sweet.

Arizona's broadcast was the only option on MLB.tv today. Brutal. Be glad you didn't have to hear two innings (with Ken Rosenthal) celebrating Dave Stewart's all-out assault on these VANILLA sabermetric nerds with their computers and stats. Dave Stewart runs his team from his GUT, dammit.

I was so desperate for baseball that I made myself listen to this earth-is-flat apologist.  Holy shit, it was mind-numbing.  He is pretty much the king of the strawman.  The criticism of Stewart, especially for the Miller trade, almost has nothing to do with SABRmetrics and everything to do with not recognizing value on the open market.  Just because Miller may turn out to be awesome and Inciarte & Blair & Dansby may turn out to suck, doesn't mean that Stewart didn't make a bad trade.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1511 on: March 07, 2016, 11:58:48 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on March 07, 2016, 09:10:55 AM

It was sweet.

I was so desperate for baseball that I made myself listen to this earth-is-flat apologist.  Holy shit, it was mind-numbing.  He is pretty much the king of the strawman.  The criticism of Stewart, especially for the Miller trade, almost has nothing to do with SABRmetrics and everything to do with not recognizing value on the open market.  Just because Miller may turn out to be awesome and Inciarte & Blair & Dansby may turn out to suck, doesn't mean that Stewart didn't make a bad trade.
I had to stop watching.  Whoever was "responsible" for directing the telecast thought that we would be more interested in seeing the five old farts sitting on the Arizona coaches' bench than watching pitches being thrown to batters. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1512 on: March 07, 2016, 12:13:46 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 07, 2016, 11:58:48 AM
How did we ever like Bob Brenly?  Everything he says sounds like a terrible line reading.

Also, Tuffy Gosewisch is their Ryan Dempster.  Allegedly funny and always has time for broadcasters, therefore they worship him.  Stay away.

It was sweet.

I was so desperate for baseball that I made myself listen to this earth-is-flat apologist.  Holy shit, it was mind-numbing.  He is pretty much the king of the strawman.  The criticism of Stewart, especially for the Miller trade, almost has nothing to do with SABRmetrics and everything to do with not recognizing value on the open market.  Just because Miller may turn out to be awesome and Inciarte & Blair & Dansby may turn out to suck, doesn't mean that Stewart didn't make a bad trade.
I had to stop watching.  Whoever was "responsible" for directing the telecast thought that we would be more interested in seeing the five old farts sitting on the Arizona coaches' bench than watching pitches being thrown to batters.  

The Diamondbacks are very quickly becoming my second-least favorite team. All of the items mentioned above made it onto my last nerve yesterday. Also, those fucking pants. It looks like they stomped a baby to death in their cleats before taking the field.

I want them to fail so badly and I'm not even a person who gets particularly asshurt about non-SABR rattling asshattery now that the Cubs are on the cutting edge. I don't understand all of it well enough to be self-righteous about it and if others don't embrace it fine. They're animals anyway so let them lose their souls.

But LaRussa is the anus from which all of the shit flows into every crevasse of that organization. I need them to hurt.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1513 on: March 07, 2016, 12:21:00 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 07, 2016, 12:13:46 PM

It was sweet.

I had to stop watching.  Whoever was "responsible" for directing the telecast thought that we would be more interested in seeing the five old farts sitting on the Arizona coaches' bench than watching pitches being thrown to batters. 

The Diamondbacks are very quickly becoming my second-least favorite team. All of the items mentioned above made it onto my last nerve yesterday. Also, those fucking pants. It looks like they stomped a baby to death in their cleats before taking the field.

I want them to fail so badly and I'm not even a person who gets particularly asshurt about non-SABR rattling asshattery now that the Cubs are on the cutting edge. Their animals anyway so let them lose their souls.

But LaRussa is the anus from which all of the shit flows into every crevasse of that organization. I need them to hurt.

Yeah the funny thing is most of the criticism I see of the D-Backs doesn't really even touch on SABR stuff. The Miller trade could have happened 20 years ago and people would probably have said surrendering three of your top prospects for a #3 starter would have been a bad idea. Maybe they wouldn't have opposed it as heartily as they do now, when draft picks and farm systems are valued a lot more than they used to be, but I don't think sabermetrics has a lot to do with the increasing value of drafting and developing your own players. That's very much an old school scouting thing.

The criticism of the Greinke signing (what little there has been, most have applauded it) is that giving a pitcher that much money when he's over 30 is risky and you're a mid-market team that might have been better off splitting that money up among several different players. Again, nothing someone wouldn't have said 20 years ago.

I would say the only sabermetrically influenced criticism of their offseason is that maybe they didn't realize how valuable Inciarte was per defensive metrics, and that Yasmany Tomas as a full time outfielder is probably a terrible idea. I'm old enough to remember when guys like Dave Stewart were (correctly) bitching about advanced stats undervaluing defense though, so it's amusing to see the pendulum swing all the way over to "well stats say this guy is bad at defense but fuck them"

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1514 on: March 07, 2016, 01:05:14 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 07, 2016, 12:21:00 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on March 07, 2016, 12:13:46 PM

It was sweet.

I want them to fail so badly and I'm not even a person who gets particularly asshurt about non-SABR rattling asshattery now that the Cubs are on the cutting edge. Their animals anyway so let them lose their souls.

Yeah the funny thing is most of the criticism I see of the D-Backs doesn't really even touch on SABR stuff. The Miller trade could have happened 20 years ago and people would probably have said surrendering three of your top prospects for a #3 starter would have been a bad idea. Maybe they wouldn't have opposed it as heartily as they do now, when draft picks and farm systems are valued a lot more than they used to be, but I don't think sabermetrics has a lot to do with the increasing value of drafting and developing your own players. That's very much an old school scouting thing.

The criticism of the Greinke signing (what little there has been, most have applauded it) is that giving a pitcher that much money when he's over 30 is risky and you're a mid-market team that might have been better off splitting that money up among several different players. Again, nothing someone wouldn't have said 20 years ago.

I would say the only sabermetrically influenced criticism of their offseason is that maybe they didn't realize how valuable Inciarte was per defensive metrics, and that Yasmany Tomas as a full time outfielder is probably a terrible idea. I'm old enough to remember when guys like Dave Stewart were (correctly) bitching about advanced stats undervaluing defense though, so it's amusing to see the pendulum swing all the way over to "well stats say this guy is bad at defense but fuck them"

I'm definitely really fucking far from being any sort of expert on advanced analytics (and certainly a cretin when compared to CD and Eli).  The arguments against it are just so goddamn anti-intellectual.  Writers like Rosenthal and Heyman go out of their way to not make an effort to understand them and completely misrepresent what those numbers try to say about baseball and the players.  It's ridiculous and only serves to make their jobs easier and allowed them to be lazy in their writing.

If anyone has ever listened to the MLB Network on XM, you'll know what I mean.  There's just absolutely no new analysis that's being articulated.  As an industry, it's amazing how little advancement there has been in baseball writing in the mainstream.