News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Revolutionary Road  ( 2,918 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Revolutionary Road
« on: June 23, 2009, 01:19:18 PM »
Anyone see this?

I just did...kinda liked it.

Sam Mendes of American Beauty fame directed it.

Michael Shannon was pretty solid in a cameo, good work by DiCaprio...

Summary: Was planning on probably hating it, didn't.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Revolutionary Road
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 01:41:56 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 23, 2009, 01:19:18 PM
Sam Mendes of American Beauty pounding Kate Winslet's merkin fame directed it.

She may remember him from such merkin-poundings as: last night's dinner'd
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 09:16:56 AM »
Netflix sent it to me last week and I haven't watched it yet, mainly because everybody tells me how depressing it is. 

Will I at least get ample chances to rub one out to Winslet, or do I have to rent The Reader again?

Nothing does it for me like an illiterate Nazi turned train conductor.  Who knew?

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 09:35:27 AM »
Quote from: Andy on June 25, 2009, 09:16:56 AM
Netflix sent it to me last week and I haven't watched it yet, mainly because everybody tells me how depressing it is. 

Will I at least get ample chances to rub one out to Winslet, or do I have to rent The Reader again?

Nothing does it for me like an illiterate Nazi turned train conductor.  Who knew?

Get The Reader.  Unless you're turned on by bloody vaginas.  So I guess just watch it then.

This movie is how I imagine Pen's marriage to be. 
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 08:30:29 AM »
If you want a reminder of how much the suburbs suck, watch this movie.

Although I enjoyed it on balance, this seemed like more of a play than a movie. In the blowout scenes with Dicaprio and Winslet, I was too aware of the fact that I was watching VERY SKILLED ACTORS act out COMPLEX EMOTIONS, rather than the usual suspension of disbelief when you watch a talkie. Seemed more like a vehicle for showy performances than a movie. Does that make any sense? Probably not.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 09:03:56 AM »
Quote from: RV on July 15, 2009, 08:30:29 AM
If you want a reminder of how much the suburbs suck, watch this movie.

Although I enjoyed it on balance, this seemed like more of a play than a movie. In the blowout scenes with Dicaprio and Winslet, I was too aware of the fact that I was watching VERY SKILLED ACTORS act out COMPLEX EMOTIONS, rather than the usual suspension of disbelief when you watch a talkie. Seemed more like a vehicle for showy performances than a movie. Does that make any sense? Probably not.

Actually it does. That worries me.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 12:18:27 PM »
I don't normally like romantic comedies, but this one wasn't bad. Sam Mendes isn't a big fan of the suburbs it seems, after american beauty and this.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »
Fortunately, I didn't go see this when it would have cost me $8.  I turned my TV off after 15 minutes of DiCaprio and Winslett shrieking at each other.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 07:45:10 AM »
I watched it this weekend on HBO.  Cripes, what a depressing movie.  Who hates the suburbs that much?  I'm sure all the EMOTION was true because DiCaprio and Winslet and this producer fuck all have had the experience of living day-to-day, paycheck-to-paycheck like the rest of us COMMON FOLK.  Other than that, the acting was fine as usual from the two leads.  Also, the guy who played the crazy neighbor dude was awesome.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"