News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Grantland: A Bill Simmons Joint  ( 19,076 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Grantland: A Bill Simmons Joint
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2011, 04:17:19 PM »
Quote from: Bort on June 16, 2011, 04:05:59 PM
They should just run Michael Schur articles and nothing else.

I had pretty much avoided Grantland until I saw he posted something. I'll probably do the same until he writes again.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2011, 04:23:25 PM »

They should, just as Jerry Glanville always left tickets for Elvis Presley and Loni Anderson, just leave a username and password for Grantland Rice just in case he decides to rise from the dead and write something. Until then, just leave it dark.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 16, 2011, 04:17:19 PM

I had pretty much avoided Grantland until I saw he posted something. I'll probably do the same until he writes again.

Indeed.That's my plan as well.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 16, 2011, 03:57:19 PM
After last week's pathetic attempt at a hockey column, in which Bill Simmons hailed the tough play of Bruins' forward "Patrick Beverly" - he tries again to fit in with a piece celebrating Boston's latest champion. Sadly, Mr. Simmons didn't learn from his mistakes and world be damned he refuses to get an editor or a fact-checker. After Twitter blew up the mistake was fixed but I captured a screenshot for posterity. In essence, he tries to create an entire narrative around something that never happened. Observe and spot the error(s):

http://min.us/mvjA9qe

Mea Culpa, it would appear.

"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2011, 04:53:24 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on June 16, 2011, 04:42:27 PM
After last week's pathetic attempt at a hockey column, in which Bill Simmons hailed the tough play of Bruins' forward "Patrick Beverly" - he tries again to fit in with a piece celebrating Boston's latest champion. Sadly, Mr. Simmons didn't learn from his mistakes and world be damned he refuses to get an editor or a fact-checker. After Twitter blew up the mistake was fixed but I captured a screenshot for posterity. In essence, he tries to create an entire narrative around something that never happened. Observe and spot the error(s):

My last sports memory was that Cubs game against the Brewers when John Grabow gave up a double to Sergio Mitre. Wait, what were we doing?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2011, 05:15:44 PM »

Fair enough, I can respect that.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2011, 05:19:10 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 16, 2011, 05:15:44 PM

Fair enough, I can respect that.

You ol' softie.

Where's the RAGEHATE?
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2011, 09:40:32 PM »
Hey, if you guys can't appreciate yet another piece in which a bunch of sportswriters reminisce about how awesome/crazy/stupendous the National Sports Daily was, then the hell with you.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2011, 11:30:09 PM »
If Ken Tremendous brings back FJM style, Grantland will be the bestest site ever you guys.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2011, 07:42:40 AM »
My first sports memory was this game, I believe: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199212130chi.htm . Last win of Mike Ditka's career in Chicago. There may be something from before that but I remember thinking that Neal Anderson must be some sort of God.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2011, 09:41:17 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 17, 2011, 07:42:40 AM
My first sports memory was this game, I believe: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199212130chi.htm . Last win of Mike Ditka's career in Chicago. There may be something from before that but I remember thinking that Neal Anderson must be some sort of God.

Also the last win of Mike Singletary's career.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2011, 09:48:16 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 17, 2011, 09:41:17 AM

At least until his wildly successful tenure as a head coach.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2011, 12:50:35 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 17, 2011, 09:48:16 AM
Quote from: PANK! on June 17, 2011, 09:41:17 AM

At least until his wildly successful tenure as a head coach.

This. Also angers the semen. Please cease and desist. I choose to remember Samuai Mike as he was in 1985. He knocked 'em cold, did he not?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2011, 11:43:20 PM »
I guess when you run 1500 pieces a week, a few are bound to be good.  Which is nice.

Anyway, I enjoyed this: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6658200/lord-stanley-grail

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2011, 12:27:04 PM »
I found Klosterman's Rock-Vorp article interesting.
Nothing subjective about it, it's all math.