News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Settle a Bet for Me  ( 2,661 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Settle a Bet for Me
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »
Do you consider there to be a difference between "fine" and "mediocre"? Would you use them as synonyms? Which one would you say is better, if they are not synonyms.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Settle a Bet for Me
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 02:21:44 PM »
Mediocre definitely has negative connotations.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 02:22:21 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 11, 2016, 02:19:50 PM
Do you consider there to be a difference between "fine" and "mediocre"? Would you use them as synonyms? Which one would you say is better, if they are not synonyms.

There are restaurants that promise "fine dining", you can say Jennifer Lawrence is fine as hell.

Mediocre would definitely be on a level somewhere below that.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 02:28:05 PM »

For me, the only time "fine" and "mediocre" are somewhat closely related is when you say "I'm fine" which, to me, is a middle of the road response and could have similar standing to mediocre. Beyond that, Fine >> Mediocre.

Fun times in Iowa

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 02:39:37 PM »
If the context here is that your wife said she's "fine" with you doing something -- she's not fine with you doing it.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 02:58:48 PM »
Pay the man.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 03:07:55 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on January 11, 2016, 02:39:37 PM
If the context here is that your wife said she's "fine" with you doing something -- she's not fine with you doing it.

It's worse if you have a first name that starts with F, so both the "Fine" and "Frank" can get hissed out.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 03:18:02 PM »
Since SKO is apparently not going to provide us with any context, here's my take:

Fine wine, fine dining, fine arts > Mediocre

How was your day? Fine. = Mediocre

I'm gonna be out until 3am with the guys tonight. FINE. < Mediocre

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 03:28:43 PM »

I think fine, when not attached to dining/wine/etc., is neutral. "My day was fine." Basically, you're saying nothing and moving on in the conversation.

Mediocre is technically supposed to mean "middling" but I think its meaning has changed and become something that means below average.

Basically, fine is the new mediocre.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 11, 2016, 03:28:43 PM

I think fine, when not attached to dining/wine/etc., is neutral. "My day was fine." Basically, you're saying nothing and moving on in the conversation.

Mediocre is technically supposed to mean "middling" but I think its meaning has changed and become something that means below average.

God damn, Millenials!

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 03:43:09 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 11, 2016, 03:28:43 PM

I think this is right. Mediocre is used to describe something straddling the line between good and bad and where more is expected. When people without vaginas say something is fine, they most often mean that this situation is good enough and they consider this matter now closed.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 04:06:56 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on January 11, 2016, 02:39:37 PM

No this is not related to that. I am smart enough to recognize that.

My friend said an actress was "fine" in a movie, then later said she was "mediocre" in the movie, and insisted the two were synonyms, while I argued mediocre most definitely is a worse thing to call someone than fine.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 04:09:16 PM »
DPD, but fine, when used 90% of the time in daily conversation, means "good but ordinary." I had a fine day= my day was good, but nothing of note occurred. Mediocre is definitely like "meets bare minimum standards but is in no way good."

used in a sentence: "Mark DeRosa is a fine second baseman" whereas "Jason Marquis is a mediocre 5th starter"

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 04:14:29 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 11, 2016, 04:09:16 PM
DPD, but fine, when used 90% of the time in daily conversation, means "good but ordinary." I had a fine day= my day was good, but nothing of note occurred. Mediocre is definitely like "meets bare minimum standards but is in no way good."

used in a sentence: "Mark DeRosa is a fine second baseman" whereas "Jason Marquis is a mediocre 5th starter"

I feel like you came up with this example specifically to enrage Huey as much as possible.

So, bravo.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 04:17:45 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 11, 2016, 04:14:29 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 11, 2016, 04:09:16 PM

I feel like you came up with this example specifically to enrage Huey as much as possible.

So, bravo.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.